Bug In New SDS100 & SDS200 Firmware

mapper65

Just did the Sentinal update to 2.05 and the firmware update to both my SDS100 & SDS200. Also paid for the waterfall update on both.

Firmware now showing
Main:Version 1.23.01
Sub:Version 1.03.02

The issue that I am seeing is that if you use the backlight option where you have the backlight set for a delay trning off after the squelch closes, it works fine until you use the the new waterfall option. If you are in the waterfall the backlight stays on cintinuously which is perfectly fine but if you press Scan and go back to scanning, the backlight never turns off. You have to reboot the scanner to get the backlight timer to work again.

I have verified this with both the SDS100 & SDS200.

Curt

mc48

Premium Subscriber
Mine works the same as it always has. Press scan to leave Waterfall, press backlight to off and it cycles on/off as it should with the open squelch or timer setting (SDS100 I have not updated my 200 yet).

mapper65

Don’t press backlight to off and see if it goes off on its own. My guess is that it wont. If the backlight it set to go off within a certain period of time after the squelch closes, it won’t. You have to reboot for that feature to work again.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Mine works the same as it always has. Press scan to leave Waterfall, press backlight to off and it cycles on/off as it should with the open squelch or timer setting (SDS100 I have not updated my 200 yet).
Looks like you are correct. Just wasn't expecting to have to manually turn the backlight off first. WHEW!

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Don’t press backlight to off and see if it goes off on its own. My guess is that it wont. If the backlight it set to go off withing a certain period of time after the squelch closes, it won’t.
Correct, it will never turn off after WF is used unless you do it manually at first, then it appears to act normal.

mc48

Premium Subscriber
This is exactly the same as it has always been, you pressed a key so you need to turn it off manually the first time. I have both my 100's side by side one updated the other not and they operate exactly the same.

mapper65

I’ve never enabled the manual key press for off on mine since I bought it years ago. Maybe that‘s why I see this happening and you don’t. Try turning off the key press feature on the one that you have not upgraded and watch the display go out within the preset amount of time.

Last edited:

mc48

Premium Subscriber
What you are saying is the Keypress Timer fails to reset when you leave the Waterfall (not the squelch) and previously when you left the menu it would reset and time out to turn off the display. This appears to be correct it does not appear to reset after you leave the waterfall, you can just press the lamp off button to reset the timer, no need to turn off the radio. This may be a bug in the software.

mapper65

That is correct. I always leave the squelch backlight timer set for 10 seconds because I really don’t need to see what’s on the display while it’s scanning. Prior to the update that worked fine. Now if you use the waterfall one time and press scan to get out of the waterfall the timer never works again and the backlight stays on permanently until you reboot or as you have found, pressed the button to turn off the backlight. I’d rather not have to press the button to turn off the backlight but I guess that’s a workaround for now. Definitely a bug.

Sc403

Premium Subscriber
Im having an issue registering my SDS100 so I can purchase the waterfall upgrade.
when I try to enter the S/N it will not accept the last 3 digits of the electronic S/N ?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Im having an issue registering my SDS100 so I can purchase the waterfall upgrade.
when I try to enter the S/N it will not accept the last 3 digits of the electronic S/N ?
Check this post, and the one after it...

mapper65

I can confirm 1.23.03 firmware has resolved the issue of the backlight timer not working when you go from the waterfall back to the scan mode. I've tested this on both the SDS100 & SDS200. Thank you!

Curt

JeremyG760

Premium Subscriber
I can confirm 1.23.03 firmware has resolved the issue of the backlight timer not working when you go from the waterfall back to the scan mode. I've tested this on both the SDS100 & SDS200. Thank you!

Curt
I just noticed this issue last night for the first time and I'm pleasantly surprised to see there is already a fix haha