Built in Discriminator taps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coverted

Premium Subscriber
Do all the Digital scanners and Ham Radios out there that have a Raw Discriminaor Tap as part of the product, (no modification required) or only select models? If so which ones have the built in ability using Unitrunker as the interface. I need this info for dsd and I realize a little to late that this may not be the proper forum. However it may be straight from the horses mouth. Radio Knowledge wanted and appreciated. Thankyou

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Yes it is the wrong forum. :)

To be clear however, the 396 and 996 "XT" models of scanners do provide discriminator information and Unitrunker can use this information. However, it's not a true "discriminator" output that you can just plug into a soundcard. For that, you would need to tap the radio. (i.e. modify the radio)

The higher end base receivers (usually) have a discriminator output but it's best to check before you purchase. I believe AOR was a brand that usually put both a 10.7 mhz IF and Discriminator output features into their receivers.

FYI, it's not very hard to tap the 396xt or 996xt. If you can use a fine-tip soldering iron, then you're in business.

SCPD

QRT
The Icom R1000, R1500, R2500 include separate output for discriminator audio.

The GRE PSR800 has a headphone jack the can be switched between normal audio and discriminator audio.

The HP-1 will stream discriminator audio over it's USB port but needs software modified to accept the audio in this form.

Coverted

Premium Subscriber
I have a Pro 106 and a Pro197, running windows 7 with Unitrunker 22. I have dsd installed on Ubuntu 10.04 lst running in a vmware configuration on a second monitor. My plan is to use the Pro 197 for data using the Gre programming cable.Then also with a second USB programming cable using Pro106 for voice. Then using a RCA 1/8 both ends jack, plug it into the Pro 106 headphone jack with the other end plugged into the mic in on the laptop. Will this configuration work or do you think I need modify the Pro 106 to include a separate 1/8 RCA jack audio discriminator port.

SCPD

QRT
Headphone audio is discriminator audio after run through a speech filter. The filter destroys the waveform. You need discriminator audio.

Coverted

Premium Subscriber
Not what I wanted to hear but its great that I have been saved a whole lot of aggravation. For that I thank-you. I have seen the forthhorsemans photos for the direct tap modification for the Pro 106. I will look into where i can get the parts needed. Sure miss the good old days when things were not so complicated. But scanner dudes will always keep one step ahead. Its what keeps the hobby so interesting. Thanks for the feedback. Steve

Coverted

Premium Subscriber
After going to the RR Pro 106 discriminator page I read this.

The Discriminator output is available at Test Point 4 (TP4). This tap can be used to feed applications such as UniTrunker (although with UniTrunker, it's not really necessary, since the PC/IF datastream will also work).

Is this not correct or is there something more that I don't understand. When Unitrunker is interfaced with DSD is a direct tap the only option? I realize I may be drawing at straws here. I fully understood your last reply however there seems to be conflicting information.

SCPD

QRT
Discriminator audio is not the same as control channel data.

You can decode control channel from discriminator audio.

Radios like the PSR310/410/500/600/700/800 and the Uniden XT models provide control channel data over the serial port. You are limited to whatever signal formats the radio provides. For example, the PSR310 and BCT15X won't provide P25 control channel data.

Also, none of these radios provide IMBE voice data over the serial port.

However, you can decode trunking control channel data and digital voice data from the radio's discriminator audio.

Also, DSD decodes from audio input only. That's why you need a tap.

Coverted

Premium Subscriber
I now see the bigger picture much more clearly. Thank-you for clearing that up for me with your inherent wisdom.

Status
Not open for further replies.