• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Burger King 911 Call

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnmsales

Premium Subscriber
LMAO, i feel sorry for this lady. Anyone who has been slapped in the face with customer no-service can understand. Obviously it was silly to call 911 for help with this but I can see why someone might get so flustered that they call the cops.

Reminds me of the time I was at work in another town and had to get gas. Well the gas station I got it at didnt accept checks. I didnt realize this until I had already pumped the gas into the car so when I went in to pay they just flat out would not take my check. I told them they had to and if they didnt they were refusing a lawful form of paying for a service. The lady still wouldnt take it so after a few minutes of arguing with her about the issue i got fed up and told her ok then I guess you should call the cops then because I have no other way to pay for the fuel. So she did this. I went back out to my car to wait for the officer to arrive. After about 10 or 15 minutes f waiting I went back into the store and the lady stated she was going to accept my check because the police told her there was nothing they could do.
Of course it would have been real intresting to see her refuse to take it because at that time I was fully ready to drive off the lot without paying. Im sure they would have reported me for stealling gas.

JoeyC

I've never heard of writing a check for gas. No business is required to take checks, in fact, many don't for various reasons. All stations should change their pumping policy to pay up front to avoid this.

As far as that call, it sounds like a fake one, but I wouldn't doubt it if it were real. As the call-taker, I would have told her just once that there was no basis for her call, gotten her info and if she insisted on wasting my time arguing about it, dispatched a unit for abuse of the 911 system.

cnmsales

Premium Subscriber
Actually im pretty sure that Checks are a Legal tender and form of payment, now some may refuse to accept them and thats fine. However I do believe there is some law that says if someone offers a legal form of tender to pay for services that you do have to accept it.

JoeyC

Perhaps a cashiers or bank check, but doubtful a personal check - too much burdon is placed on the merchant to verify its authenticity so I doubt that seriously.

daleduke17

cnmsales said:
Actually im pretty sure that Checks are a Legal tender and form of payment, now some may refuse to accept them and thats fine. However I do believe there is some law that says if someone offers a legal form of tender to pay for services that you do have to accept it.
That's just for currency. Checks do not have to be accepted. Credit, debit do not either. At least that's what I can remember from being at different grocery stores in the accounting office.

PortCop

Legal tender is a concept that is frequently misunderstood: this is often a result of differing legal definitions in different jurisdictions. Cheques, credit cards, debit cards and similar non-cash methods of payment are not generally defined as legal tender. Only specific coin and note examples of cash money are usually defined as legal tender.

jmp883

JoeyC wrote:

As far as that call, it sounds like a fake one, but I wouldn't doubt it if it were real.
After 16 years of answering and dispatching 9-1-1 calls that is one of the more 'normal' sounding non 9-1-1 calls. People call 9-1-1 quite frequently for directions and phone numbers. We'll dump them into the recorded non-emergency message that states 9-1-1 is only to be used for an immediate threat to life and/or property. They'll call right back again on 9-1-1 and now they're mad because not only do they still not have the information they're calling for they also want to know who are we to decide what is and isn't a life-threatening emergency. I made the mistake of telling a caller that I went to a number of different, state required, classes when I hired out in order to be a 9-1-1 dispatcher. The caller didn't believe me......

My part-time dispatch job does not have 9-1-1 equipment. Those calls are transferred to us via radio so all phone calls that come into my HQ are on the traditional 7-digit phone number. It's about 0645 in the morning and the shift is about to end when a lady calls in on the non-emergency line. Very politely she asks if I know how to get to such-and-such town in south Jersey. Well we're in northern Jersey, just south of NY border and I've never heard of this place. At that time there wasn't a state map or the internet at the desk so I told her that I couldn't help her other than to recommend she call her destination for assistance. She thanked me politely and hung up. A few minutes later the non-emergency phone rings again and I look at the caller ID and see it's the same caller again. I answer the phone and it's her husband, very irate. He immediately starts yelling at me at why I couldn't help his wife, how it's my job to know how to get anywhere in the state, that a basic part of being a dispatcher is giving directions, and that he'll see to it I get fired since I'm obviously ill-equipped intellectually to do this job. As he's ranting and raving my Chief came into the radio room because this guy could be heard through the handset of the phone. He said to transfer the call to him, and I did. A few minutes later the Chief came back into the radio room and told me he took care of that caller. I'd love to know what was said.....our Chief has no tolerance for people like that!

It's just amazing what comes in on those phones....9-1-1 or non-emergency! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.