Burnet County freqs

Status
Not open for further replies.

RenoHuskerDu

Longtime VFD, rusty old scanner
Premium Subscriber
Howdy, I gave up on scanning in Williamson County due to encrypted everything. Now we live in Burnet County. I found these freqs here on this site but also a mention that most moved to GATRRS

Will I be able to hear anything out here in Burnet County? I'm using a PRO-2067

GATRSS shows the following freqs for Burnet
152.1725c 152.5025a 152.6225a 152.7425a
(what do those suffixes a and c mean?)

But this part is harder to understand
DEC HEX Mode Alpha Tag Description Tag
7170 1c02 D Burnet SO Disp 1 Sheriff Dispatch 1 North Law Dispatch

Are those Motorola trunking groups?

Thanks,

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Howdy, I gave up on scanning in Williamson County due to encrypted everything. Now we live in Burnet County. I found these freqs here on this site but also a mention that most moved to GATRRS

Will I be able to hear anything out here in Burnet County? I'm using a PRO-2067
The short answer is no, you would not be able to hear most of Burnet County traffic on your Pro-2067. That's an analog scanner. Most of the agencies are using GATRRS, which is a digital trunking system. Some of the various entities kept their old Vhf-high frequencies, but it appears that these are mainly used for backup, or if the trunked system went down. If you got a scanner capable of tracking and receiving a P25 Phase I trunked system, you would be able to hear most of Burnet. Looking at the talkgroups, it appears that currently, they are not encrypted (the opposite of Williamson County where most TGIDs were unmonitorable).

GATRSS shows the following freqs for Burnet
152.1725c 152.5025a 152.6225a 152.7425a
(what do those suffixes a and c mean?)

But this part is harder to understand
DEC HEX Mode Alpha Tag Description Tag
7170 1c02 D Burnet SO Disp 1 Sheriff Dispatch 1 North Law Dispatch

Are those Motorola trunking groups?

Thanks,
The frequencies are for the Burnet site on the system. There are several other sites in Burnet County as well. The 'a' and 'c' indicate the control channels in use for the site. The c is the primary channel, and those tagged as a are alternates in case the primary goes down. More on trunked systems can be found here: https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Trunking_Basics

The DEC and HEX is the talkgroup ID for the Sheriff's Office in the county. The D (from the mode column on the system's database page) means that the TGID is digital, using P25 Phase I. P25 is an open standard, not limited to only Motorola.

RenoHuskerDu

Longtime VFD, rusty old scanner
Premium Subscriber
>The short answer is no,

Thanks, hard truth is better than ignorance.

> If you got a scanner capable of tracking and receiving a P25 Phase I trunked system

1) Do you know of used scanners that would work? I've seen the price of new ones. I'm reluctant to invest that much in something that an EMP would brick.

2) Are there known plans to upgrade (P26, Phase II, whatever) that would render current scanners inop?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
>The short answer is no,

Thanks, hard truth is better than ignorance.

> If you got a scanner capable of tracking and receiving a P25 Phase I trunked system

1) Do you know of used scanners that would work? I've seen the price of new ones. I'm reluctant to invest that much in something that an EMP would brick.
There are a number of older scanners that would work, and that would be available fairly often either on the classifieds here on RadioReference, eBay, or Craig's list.

Don't overlook garage sales, pawn shops, estate sales, or other places. See this long-running thread for bargains found at unexpected locations:
http://forums.radioreference.com/ge...on/174457-thrift-store-finds.html#post1270414

Previous Uniden Models There may be a few new units in dealers’ leftover stock, but these are primarily are going to be found in the previously owned markets, such as the Classifieds here on RadioReference, on eBay or Craig’s List, other online sites, garage or estate sales, or pawn shops.
Uniden BCD396XT (Handheld)
Uniden BCD996XT (Base/Mobile)
Uniden HomePatrol-1 (Base/Mobile)

Slightly Older Models (Discontinued, but can be found in used, but good, condition. These cannot utilize the NAC codes for P25 conventional frequencies):
Uniden BCD396T (Handheld)
Uniden BCD996T (Base/Mobile)

Previous Whistler Models that are also P25 Phase I & P25 Phase II capable, also have a free DMR upgrade:
WS1080 (Handheld) (Same as the WS1088, except lacking the numeric keypad)
[FONT=&quot]WS1095 (Base/Mobile) (Same as the WS1098, except lacking the numeric keypad)[/FONT]

These scanners have a paid upgrade available through Whistler, to make them DMR capable, as well as P25 Phase I & Phase II (all except the Pro-18 were already Phase II capable). This upgrade also makes them eligible for support from Whistler. All are discontinued units. Also see this RadioReference thread.

GRE PSR-800 (Handheld)
RadioShack PRO-18 (Handheld)
Radio Shack Pro-668 (Handheld)

Whistler P25 Phase I capable (No DMR or Phase II upgrade available.)
WS1040 (Handheld)
WS1065 (Base/Mobile)

Other Discontinued Scanners:
These units are capable of P25 Phase I only. No Phase II nor DMR upgrade is possible.
GRE manufactured scanners (Discontinued, GRE shut down several years ago):
GRE PSR-500 (Handheld)
GRE PSR-600 (Base/Mobile)
RadioShack PRO-106 (Handheld)
RadioShack PRO-197 (Base/Mobile)

The above were manufactured by GRE, which has ceased production and disbanded. While a few new units may still be found, they are scarce. Don’t overlook the used market, either in the classifieds here, on eBay, other online sites, or occasionally local pawn shops or yard sales. For any GRE manufactured scanner purchased used, make sure it's complete (all parts included, including battery holders), and in good working order. With GRE now no longer in the picture, parts and service support are problematic. As a result of their second bankruptcy, Radio Shack no longer supports scanners sold under their nameplate.

Note that Whistler Group has acquired the intellectual property of the old GRE product line, and has started releasing units using those designs. However, there has been no commitment that they will provide parts and service support for the former GRE units, nor Radio Shack branded units, other than those listed above with the paid DMR upgrade. These were produced by Whistler for sale in Radio Shack stores, but parts and service support may be questionable.
Radio Shack Pro-651 (Handheld; Whistler equivalent WS1040)
Radio Shack Pro-652 (Base/Mobile; Whistler equivalent WS1065)

2) Are there known plans to upgrade (P26, Phase II, whatever) that would render current scanners inop?
As for whether a switch to P25 Phase II is on the horizon, I have no idea. That would require upgrades to the system itself (site equipment, i.e. repaeters), dispatch consoles, and subscriber radios. Forst notice of something coming would be likely be announced and discussed at a city council meeting, or at the county level in Commissioners Court.

rbarker

Robert
These May still be active:
460.95 MF EMS can use it for anything, but they hardly ever do. 026 DPL

451.9625 MF ISD Bus451 Buses Maint N of Walmart on the West side of 281
452.07 MF ISD Bus452 Buses N of Walmart on the West side of 281
452.35 MF ISD Maint Maintenance West side of football Stadium atop press box
155.25 BCVFA Burnet Burnet Co. Fire Paging (Burnet FD)
154.415 Burnet Co Fire North
151.325 BCVFA MblFls Burnet Co. Fire South Paging (Marble Falls)

Status
Not open for further replies.