Busiest Police/Fire/EMS channels in Metro Indy area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexKA

I'm setting up a Uniden Bearcat BC125AT for someone who likes to listen to police, fire, ambulance, and civil air in the Indy area. I'm having trouble identifying which of the ~1000 channels in the area are best to set up.

I'm hoping to give him a set of a dozen or so preset channels (including Civil Air) so he won't need to wade through all of them unless he really wants to. Any pointers?
Thanks!
Alex

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
I'm setting up a Uniden Bearcat BC125AT for someone who likes to listen to police, fire, ambulance, and civil air in the Indy area. I'm having trouble identifying which of the ~1000 channels in the area are best to set up.

I'm hoping to give him a set of a dozen or so preset channels (including Civil Air) so he won't need to wade through all of them unless he really wants to. Any pointers?
Thanks!
Alex

You are so out of luck. Indy Metro is on the IDPS P25 TRS.... Surrounding Counties and State are on the SAFE-T TRS using digital, and about to flip the whole system over to P25 in the next week or so. So for Police, Fire, EMS, EMA.... Nothing is analog conventional here anymore except SEALS EMS which runs on an LTR TRS. If the bc125AT cant trunk track an LTR system, then your pretty much stuck with a few businesses, and the aircraft and railroads.

Viper43

Look at the database. There are still FD dispatched on VHF and UHF. Look at all surrounding counties. Hancock still uses VHF for fire and it's simulcast so those with older scanners can still here fire calls.

Viper43

At the moment there is very little VHF/UHF police use in the area. Anderson uses it but are switching to IDPS system 4 very soon. You might get some security services and police TAC radios but thats about it.

AlexKA

Thanks to both of you. I kind of expected encryption to happen sooner or later for a lot of the police/security communication systems. That also explains why I wasn't hearing much traffic anywhere when I tested the scanner. :/

I'll hit the surrounding county listings and just see what I get; if in-town is just SEALS/railroad/air and some TAC, so be it.

Thanks again for responding!
Alex

Viper43

There isn't much encryption, just need a newer radio for the trunked systems which are mostly P25 Phase i now

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Correct, its moved up to Trunked Digital 800 MHz. Yes there is some Encryption on aforementioned systems, but not as widespread as say FL, or AL lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.