Busted: NYPD captured radio jammer (#2&3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

emcomm

9-30-2016

A 20-year-old man arrested in connection with a string of police impersonations has been linked to several hoaxes involving NYPD radios. Jay Peralta, of Queens, was found to be responsible for broadcasting the unauthorized transmissions over police radio frequencies that started in April....

Full story: Suspect taunting NYPD officers using lost or stolen police radio | abc7ny.com (With garage sale ready photo of box of Motorola stuff)

Great news!

/S

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
All of the names of suspects listed so far are infamous to the ham radio community in Metro-NYC. I'm not shocked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NC1

So, I don't see any of the cheap egg-roll radios that are always blamed for this sort of thing.

I can't see any of the cheap stuff there at all. Probably all of it was stolen?

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
Not to speculate, but I have no doubt all the equipment was possessed and acquired legally. It's pressing the PTT button that turned them from enthusiasts to perps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
Here's some of Mr. Torres' antic on amateur radio around NYC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IJXa4vf3W4

All of these numbskulls are also cohorts and associates of fellow well-known NYC jammers Danny Delise and Bruce Williams. Everybody was kind of sure it was gonna be these guys. And apparently it allegedly was.

SCPD

QRT
Good that they got caught. Looked like old junk to me in the photo but would be ok ham use items. Just old. It's good they caught these guys and hopefully they'll make a example out of them. Edit after looking at the second link provided in detail the only thing decent in the photo was what looked like a ht1550 limited pad. Yeah I really hope they make a example out of these persons and they enjoy the time at the island with Bubba and bruce.

Last edited:
D

DaveNF2G

Not many people realize that portable scanners are illegal in NYC.

D

DaveNF2G

Oops, sorry, wrong city for that particular combination. (It is Rochester that outlaws mobiles and portables, and specifies fire receivers also.) NYC has its own law against mobile scanners in addition to the V&T.

cavmedic

Premium Subscriber
Suspect taunting NYPD officers using lost or stolen police radio | abc7ny.com

"Police say a search warrant executed at Torres' residence yielded 15 portable radios, 9 scanners, 9 hand-held microphones, 4 speakers, 2 roof antennas, 1 amplifier, 4 laptops, 2 desktops computers, 3 cell phones, 7 compact discs, 1 camcorder and 1 note pad."

7 compact discs and one note pad............ OMG , THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

namhcor

Here's some of Mr. Torres' antic on amateur radio around NYC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IJXa4vf3W4

All of these numbskulls are also cohorts and associates of fellow well-known NYC jammers Danny Delise and Bruce Williams. Everybody was kind of sure it was gonna be these guys. And apparently it allegedly was.

Yep no surprise here but this is just the tip of the iceberg. There are still other pockets of active jammers in the NYC Metropolitan area creating havoc on amateur, commercial, GMRS and Public Safety repeaters. Some jamming is coordinated and some are lone wolf wackos. The enforcement and capture momentum needs to continue!

KC2zZe

Everybody? I beg to differ, as far as Mr. Williams is concerned. Even though we haven't spoken in years since my employment opportunities moved further north, I still consider him a friend. When I used to work in New York City, Bruce and I would try to get together on a GMRS repeater convenient to the two of us to ragchew about our days at work, his exploits as a freelance photographer, politics, you name it. The jamming we'd suffer, more specifically attacks directed at him, would make holding a conversation while heading home virtually impossible some nights. While he did, on occasion, get belligerent over the air when the jamming begun, I disagree with the assessment that he's a "well-known NYC jammer." Both he, and I, were routinely their victims.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.