Butel 996 Trunk Upload Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jngizzi

I just purchased a Uniden 996T. The current firmware is 1.03.11 (came preloaded).

My question is although the profile on the software shows all my quick keys and none of the systems are locked out I cannot enable 3 of the 4 systems. It looks like only quick key 2 (conventional system is enabled).

Any reason why the scanner is not recognizing the trunk systems in the profile? I can see them with software when trying to do an upload/download.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I did use the interface to RR to do the programming. I'm guessing the programming convention may be different from my 396T.

Thanks,

Joe

Last edited:

garys

Premium Subscriber
The only big difference in trunking is that the 996T allows for multi site trunking systems and the 396T doesn't. Recheck all of the settings and check boxes in the software. There is a check box that allows groups to be uploaded, but locked out. I found that until I became familiar with the program, I was doing things like that all the time.

Gary

jngizzi

Thanks Gary. I just realized that the RR software link did not populate the system frequency(s) on the "simulcast" folder for my Bayonne, NJ system. Now, I'm not sure what the simulcast stuff is or how it works.....but I dont recall this on the 396 handheld.

I''m going to manually add the trunk freqs on the simulcast folder and try to re-download.

I'll let you know who this works out .......

Joe

jngizzi

Ok, by moving the quick key to the site and downloading I was able to now see the quick-key on the 996T when uploading. My next issue is I am unable to monitor anything even though the quick key is active for the trunk site and talk groups.

My question is can I enter the site closest to my house? If so, Do I enter the primary control channel or do I need the specific freqs for that particular location?

I'm using the direct link to RR from Butel.

Thx,

Joe

jngizzi

Gary and Gromert,

I got it working (except for audio being slightly tinny on P25 systems only)! For some reason I had to enter "all" of the possible freqs instead of just the primary and secondary control freqs.

In short: On one simulcast folder I entered all of the freqs regardless of which tower they are assigned to in the Bayonne, NJ plan. It appears to be working.

My question is why would one want to set up a different folder by site? Also, does each tower (my town has 6) constitute a seperate site?

Joe

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
I am only seeing one site on the Bayonne,NJ system and i notice they are UHF

also make sure you download the latest firmware, there have been some improvements to P25 audio, and uniden is definately listening on the uniden forum.

jngizzi

Jason,

You are correct. Its one system with multiple towers (freqs). I added all of the freqs including primary and secondary control channels to the trunk freq list.

I updated both my 996T and my 396T to the latest firmware versions. On the Bayonne P25 system the audio still sounds a bit garbled/under water. I noticed it sounds worse for the dispatcher than on the mobile units.

I'm not sure if playing with P25 decode threshold settings in the Butel software has any effect/impact to improve the garbled audio.

All conventional systems sound perfect.

Joe

PS: Nice web page! I like the rig!!

Last edited:
I have the same garbled underwater problem for Mesa Arizona police who are on Phoenix shared radio system using P25. I am seeing a common thread with P25 systems where it appears that many people with various types scanners have the same issue on P25 systems. Wonder if there is a software fix for this as right now it is not very enjoyable trying to listen to Mesa police which was the main police station I wanted to listen to. Very dissapointing at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.