Butel Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I am curious about the more expensive Butel software for my 436HP. Does this software all for bulk programming of the various quick keys, number keys, etc. Instead of going through each drop down menu, such as 0, 1, 2, etc., is it possible to bulk program number sequences such as 00 through 19 (example)?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure about "number keys" but for quick keys, yes.

See Setup>QuickKey Manager. You can drag and drop one (or more) Systems, Sites or Departments as desired.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Received 436HP 536 Pro

I am liking this software. To me, this software is more similar to Win500 in that I can have a better visual field. I am not fond of Sentinel.

However, that being said, I am not seeing any mention of: Profiles or Configuration. I am a bit confused. Can you set configurations with this software? I''m still reading the manual.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
No - the ARC software will only deal with Favorites Lists, make some global changes in the Sentinel database and Virtual Control. Sentinel is the only place you can deal with Profiles and scanner configuration.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Thanks OFD8001, now I better understand, thought this was substitute for all. Now, I can wrap my mind around creating Favorites.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Sentinel Vs Butel

Yes, I am aware that you can do bulk changes in Sentinel, but I've not figured out how to start at one number key let's say for 20 talk groups and enter these in sequence.

In Butel, I can easily change these, very nice, but by one. It is much more difficult to do this in Sentinel.

However, there is one wrinkle I'm still attempting to iron out.

That is, I attempted to import two separate Favorites into Butel, like it stacks up in Sentinel. From my current experience with this, it is only adding a favorite to another one without showing additional separate Favorites, like Sentinel.

That is fine as well. Because I am assuming I can write the content of a properly-edited Favorite back into the radio. Once I've finished loading this into the radio, put them into Sentinel. Or, I send one Butel-generated Favorite into Sentinel directly.

Oh, well, I"m learning.

Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
With Butel, you are ulimately working with one Favorites List at a time.

You can open two or more Favorites Lists in Butel, but when you write to the scanner, they are merged into one.

Thus if you have Favorites List A open in the window and open FL B, you'll get AB. Its good if you want to combine Favorites Lists.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Singular Favorites

With Butel, you are ulimately working with one Favorites List at a time.

You can open two or more Favorites Lists in Butel, but when you write to the scanner, they are merged into one.

Thus if you have Favorites List A open in the window and open FL B, you'll get AB. Its good if you want to combine Favorites Lists.

I would prefer keeping them separate and then merging them back into Sentinel. That way I can visually see the programming, similar to Win500 with my PSR 500.

The only reason I've not bothered with using number keys in Sentinel is because of the highly-annoying click of the drop down, over and over. Now, I can enter the number key and then use the down arrow. Yes, this is much easier.

The challenge I will have involves when I am programming my "roaming" (bank), I will say. It has around 25 different agencies and departments listed. When I want to use these, I then press, ".00" and then enter to turn them on/off.

I also saw a section in Butel where you can manage quick keys or something in 0-9 boxes, showing them all together.. I suppose this is the most confusing thing about this radio, having only 10 configuration keys instead of the 20 "scan lists" I utilized on my PSR 500.

I am certainly a visually-oriented learner. If I cannot see something, it blows my mind, a bit dyslexic here. LOL.

Yes, I am very pleased with Butel. I might consider purchasing ARC 500 since I threw the other one in the trash. At one point in time, I preferred WIn500 to Butel. But, I might give this one another go provided I get my BNC fixed from that fellow in NY.

Happy Trails.

Status
Not open for further replies.