Buying network radio in Tokyo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

compton99

Premium Subscriber
Anyone knows of an over the counter hamshop or similar in Tokyo where I can buy an android network radio, Radiotone, Inroco's or equivalent?

Brgds

Sent from my BBF100-6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
It has been almost 10 years since I was hanging out there, but there were various shops in Akihabara. Prices were high on things there vs. waiting until I got back to the U.S. and then just bring it back over, or having someone ship it to me from the U.S.

Eye the specs rather well. Power limits as well as TX frequencies are different on some things in Japan. If you plan to use it there, you should be fine. Expect the manual to be in Japanese or not in English. Also, various shops may be closed on Sunday and tomorrow due to the Holiday. You may be better off shopping on amazon.co.jp and having it delivered if you need that radio while in Japan.

Rocket may have what you need or they can order it. Oh wow, their website notes that they are open today from 10:00 to 19:25 as well as holidays. Yeah, you may want to call first to see if they are open today and how long, especially with the holiday tomorrow.

I am figuring you are not licensed in Japan (MIC), or you would probably know where these radio shops are in Akiba. What you may already have and may be asked about is a reciprocal license for foreigners you would receive from the JARL. While I am not experienced on the exact rules, Japan is pretty tight on radio use. The shop may not, or may not be able to sell to you.

Hmm...I believe I understand where you are going with this via IRN. Yeah, that may work out fine. It seems slightly on the edge of RF rules as it pushes over WiFi, but again I am not knowledgeable on Japanese RF communication rules.

I hope you find what you need and it works well for you.

Good morning

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
I was in Akihabara a couple of months ago and visited three radio stores including Rocket. I did not look at android network radios. If they are legal in Japan someone in Akihabara will sell them. A few caveats: no one at Rocket spoke English and prices are higher on camera and electronic equipment in Tokyo than in the US. Items may not have US warrantees. Take your passport. You will need it to buy duty free. Ham radios in Japan use different VHF and UHF band plans than the US. No point in buying there unless the radio can be modified. They do not sell Chinese radios like Baofeng etc.

I did notice some non-ham radios for sale at Rocket. They looked like GMRS/FRS, but I think they use 900Mhz. Not sure. Regulations are much tighter in Japan. No scanners for sale that I could see.

There is also an electronics and camera store in Akihabara called BIC. Worth a try and they speak English quite well. I they don't have what you want, they may know who does.

compton99

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for your replies, gents. Yes, I have now been to all mentioned shops in Akiba, and they don't sell network radios. Not even DMR radios seem to be available. Bit disappointed with the selections overall actually, mostly because of the fact that most of these brands are manufactured here. And yes, prices are much better on Amazon for example. So, money saved for a later purchase! :)

N9PBD

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for your replies, gents. Yes, I have now been to all mentioned shops in Akiba, and they don't sell network radios. Not even DMR radios seem to be available. Bit disappointed with the selections overall actually, mostly because of the fact that most of these brands are manufactured here. And yes, prices are much better on Amazon for example. So, money saved for a later purchase! :)

I'm pretty sure you're in the land of D-Star and Yaesu System Fusion. Other modes are heresy.

Status
Not open for further replies.