• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Buying used Unication

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scannerfanman

Hello everyone, I have been trolling for a while and love all the info on this site. My town has recently gone to phase 2 and I have been looking at buying a Uniden 200 but have seen what everyone here has said about the G5. So my question is if I look on Ebay for a used one is there anything I need to be concerned about? Anything to look out for? Thanks so much! Radio out!

bob550

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't suspect buying a used G5 would be much different than buying a used scanner, or any other consumer electronics, on ebay. I suppose whether the G5 was used as a pager by fire or law enforcement personnel in the field, or as a scanner that never left the owner's house may be important to know. You should also be aware that the Unications are professional caliber radios and as such, are built to handle tough use. As with anything on ebay, just make sure the photos are clear and accurately represent the condition of the item for sale. But aside from that, welcome to RadioReference!

Scannerfanman

Thanks for the kind words, I have loved radios since I was a kid. This place is kinda like a kid in a candy store! Lol
Is there a way to find out how the G5 was used or where it came from?

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Since the G4 & G5 are not that old, there might not be many to pick from. Then follow the usual advice on buying used electronics.

Sent using Tapatalk

Scannerfanman

Well I mean how can I tell if it was used for a fire pager or just as a scanner? Is there a way to find out where it came from?

Scannerfanman

Well I have looked at Unications page and they have a serial number look up. Maybe that would tell me? What does the serial number look up do or tell?

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
I have been listening to scanners since 1974. Phase II is more and more prevalent. Nothing more frustrating than having a Phase 1 only scanner and having your Fire Dept broadcasting on Phase II. I got a Unication G5 pager, light years ahead of the usual toys out there especially for phase II. The following video some guy in MI posted ..has been my experience TOO with "scanners" trying to get P25 Digital Simulcast systems. There are plenty of people in here that will help you program it as well as videos on YouTube by Unication too.

I got a G5- Vhf* and love it. My video below. Check YouTube for other vids. :0))

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Checking the sold items listings on ebay for used G4's and G5's show units sold within the past few months. So it should be only a matter of time before one shows up for sale. Most dealers don't allow returns on these units. So someone with buyers remorse, or who finds their G-series pager to be incompatible with their local system, would probably offer it for sale on the used market. That might improve your chances.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
So they can tell me who originally bought it so I can know if it was a fire pager or a scanner?
They could tell you who they sold it to, if policy allows. If they sold it to a dealer, that will not help you, unless that dealer is able & willing to divulge any details.

Sent using Tapatalk

bob550

Premium Subscriber
So they can tell me who originally bought it so I can know if it was a fire pager or a scanner?
If the radio was originally sold to a municipality, that would tell you it was most likely used in a public safety capacity. Although if it was sold to an individual, it still could have been used as a fire pager. If the pager is for sale by an individual, it probably wouldn't have been originally purchased by a government entity. As @radio3353 stated, just ask the seller. Keep in mind when using ebay, if the listed item condition has been misrepresented by the seller, you have options including returning the item and requesting a refund.

Scannerfanman

Thanks everybody for all your help! You guys are a wealth of knowledge, hoping I can find a good deal on one. Wish me luck.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Ask the seller if it’s working, and if they can post a photo of it receiving a Talkgroup or better yet a brief movie of it receiving calls. It may be possible then to verify the photo is the real deal by checking the displayed Talkgroup and site info against known systems in the sellers location (info that can be found here in the RR database). If the unit is working I wouldn’t hesitate to buy it. As mentioned these things are built pretty tough. You might have to replace the battery sooner rather than later but that’s no biggie.

Scannerfanman

Ok everyone I have found a private seller and he is asking $480 for it. I followed your advice and asked for pictures which he did send them. It seems to be in working order. But it seems kinda low on price, which worries me. He claims he bought it 3 years ago from a communication company. Should I ask for the serial number and run a check on the number to see if he is telling the truth or would that be rude? I want to make sure it's not stolen or something. Thanks everyone....

bob550

Premium Subscriber
First of all, "rude" shouldn't matter for anything priced at $480. Secondly, I don't think that's a low price for a three year old G5. But if the seller or the circumstances causes you any concern, go elsewhere. As I said earlier, ebay offers buyer protections that Craigslist or private sales can't. One will come along eventually.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
A quick horror story about giving serial numbers out to prospective buyers. In 2010 a friend of mine put a 5-y/o used Fender Thinline Telecaster for sale on eBay. Guy asked him for the serial number, which he provided without question. A few days later the police were at his door and he was arrested for possession of stolen property and the guitar confiscated. The buyer (dumb kid) had manufactured a receipt for the guitar and reported it stolen. It was a nightmare, and he had to go to court to prove his innocence. Long story short - some idiot kid thought he'd be slick and get a free guitar and did not think his plan through. My friend was able to provide original documentation on the guitar and the charges were dropped, the kid was arrested and charged with filing a false police report and theft by deception. Might not sound like much of a big deal, but it was to him because he had to go to jail and the whole ordeal cost him money he didn't have. All because he gave out his serial number. Something to think about. If you're going to put the serial number out there, include a photocopy of the original receipt so dumb criminals out to score get discouraged. Just a thought...

JD
kf4anc

Status
Not open for further replies.