Calgary Police Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverScan

Hey everyone,

I am in the market for a scanner that can pick up Calgary City police, and from what I have read on this site I know that all Calgary police have gone digital, so I am wondering if I get a Uniden BCD-996T Digital Scanner how hard it would be to actually pick them up, I am not the most advanced/experienced scanner but I would like to learn. So I am wondering if anyone on here has had success and scanning the Calgary police.

Thanks for any advice or input.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I'm having a little bit of an issue with the power cable on my 996 right now, so I haven't run it since doing the firmware updates earlier this week (see the Uniden forums on this site, and a thread elsewhere in this forum too), but if the 396's behavior is any indication, the reception of CPS will be improved a thousandfold. I have been able to monitor them very easily with my 396 lately, with voice traffic that actually sounds like voice traffic instead of chopped-up squawks and burbles of digital audio.

If you want the 996, get it. You will be able to listen to CPS with it just fine.

SilverScan

Thanks for the reply, so you would recommend the 396 instead of the 996? both wont have any issues monitoring the CPS? And you are saying that the firmware updates for the 996 and 396 improved the reception of CPS?

Jay911

Feed Provider
I managed to get my 996 working today. Either one will work just fine. In fact, if you're moving around, the 996 will work better as you're going to be able to use the Multi-Site Trunking feature with that one.

The firmware updates improved both scanners very much so. The 996 this morning had NO hiccups or burps monitoring CPS.

SCPD

QRT
RedDeer and uniden update

HDMechanic said:
Im running a 996 as well. Have had no issues as to speak of montoiring CPS. Sound great as well. Now to do the new update...
Curious if anyone tried the 396 or 996 after the update to see if it fixed the CC scan issue. It's suppose to fix this!!!

Jay911

Feed Provider
CC scan issue? You mean where it latches on to a given CC in a 'system' and doesn't let go until you power-cycle?

I'm of divided mind on this. I can't tell if it's looking for a new CC each time it joins the system or not. It could be.. I'm watching the frequency line on the 396 when it does switch from "NFM" to a freq, in scan mode, but a lot of my time in the city is spent being very stationary in a building with poor radio reception overall.

My days off are coming up on Wednesday - I'll be able to get out and mess around at that point and figure out just how well things are going.

Status
Not open for further replies.