Calgary Sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

technocardy

Does anyone else experience site "outages" randomly throughout the day? It seems that Banker's Hall receives all transmissions (makes sense, it's the main site) but others will be silent while transmissions are still being picked up on BH. For instance, as I'm writing this I'm getting nothing on Fish Creek while my friend is receiving transmissions on BH.

Further info this is on both my base scanner and handheld. I have full strength signal on FC. Transmissions, when present are clear with no interference or static. This "outage" seems to happen quite often.

Can anyone shed some light as to why this happens? It's incredibly aggravating as I'm clearly missing calls.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Does anyone else experience site "outages" randomly throughout the day? It seems that Banker's Hall receives all transmissions (makes sense, it's the main site) but others will be silent while transmissions are still being picked up on BH. For instance, as I'm writing this I'm getting nothing on Fish Creek while my friend is receiving transmissions on BH.

Further info this is on both my base scanner and handheld. I have full strength signal on FC. Transmissions, when present are clear with no interference or static. This "outage" seems to happen quite often.

Can anyone shed some light as to why this happens? It's incredibly aggravating as I'm clearly missing calls.

The Calgary system is a multicast system.

This means that unless a radio is affiliated with a specific talkgroup you want to listen to, you will not hear that talkgroup.

If you want to listen to a forest lawn talkgroup(say a made up talk group called ‘fire tac1’), on the FC site, there MUST be a radio on that talkgroup affiliated to the FC site. If there are no radios on ‘fire tac 1’ on the FC site, then ‘fire tac 1’ won’t be carried on it.

A radio affiliated to a site when certain conditions are met, usually signal strength.

Each site with in the Calgary system are designed to cover a defined portion of the city, as a radio moves through the city it will affiliate with the site it is with in the coverage of. When a radio enters coverage of a site, it lets the trunking controller know by sending some data telling it its RID and what talk group it is currently operating on. The controller will keep this data stored to know where to route calls to.

Hope this helps.

Edit:

If a radio is on a talkgroup on Bankers Hall, and there are no radios affiliated to the FC site on that same talkgroup, you won’t hear that talkgroup on the FC site.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

technocardy

The Calgary system is a multicast system.

This means that unless a radio is affiliated with a specific talkgroup you want to listen to, you will not hear that talkgroup.

If you want to listen to a forest lawn talkgroup(say a made up talk group called ‘fire tac1’), on the FC site, there MUST be a radio on that talkgroup affiliated to the FC site. If there are no radios on ‘fire tac 1’ on the FC site, then ‘fire tac 1’ won’t be carried on it.

A radio affiliated to a site when certain conditions are met, usually signal strength.

Each site with in the Calgary system are designed to cover a defined portion of the city, as a radio moves through the city it will affiliate with the site it is with in the coverage of. When a radio enters coverage of a site, it lets the trunking controller know by sending some data telling it its RID and what talk group it is currently operating on. The controller will keep this data stored to know where to route calls to.

Hope this helps.

Edit:

If a radio is on a talkgroup on Bankers Hall, and there are no radios affiliated to the FC site on that same talkgroup, you won’t hear that talkgroup on the FC site.

After reading that a few times I think it makes sense. So when I'm not hearing transmissions it's because those radios haven't been affiliated with the FC site.

Something else to look forward to when I move back into downtown this coming summer!

Thanks for the informative reply. Despite scanning for several years I'm quite simple when it comes to the technical aspect of all of this.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
After reading that a few times I think it makes sense. So when I'm not hearing transmissions it's because those radios haven't been affiliated with the FC site.

Something else to look forward to when I move back into downtown this coming summer!

Thanks for the informative reply. Despite scanning for several years I'm quite simple when it comes to the technical aspect of all of this.

More or less. It means are no radios on that talkgroup are affiliated with the FC site. If even one radio were to affiliate to the FC site on the talk group you listen to, then you would hear their traffic on the FC site, once the last radio affiliated on the FC site roams off to another site, then you would stop hearing that talkgroup on the FC site.

Status
Not open for further replies.