• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Call Sign question:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick1959

Premium Subscriber
Guys,
While monitoring 11.175 this evening I monitored an aircraft using the call sign "Aircraft 4636" which I am guessing may be a tail number. A/C was hailing "any ground station" as opposed to Mainsail as well. MAC did respond with a radio check. Thought the call sign was bit unusual and the "any ground station" transmission instead of "Mainsail - Mainsail". Comments? Thanks in advance.
Rick

K9WG

11.175 is used by all the military branches, and I believe "Mailsail" is primarily a USAF comm. I have even heard USN nuke subs communicating on 11.175

Hooligan

Premium Subscriber
I don't think "any ground station" vs. MAINSAIL is all that unusual, but what you probably heard was an aircraft's crew chief or someone other than ****pit-crew getting on the radio. These guys don't always know the mission callsign for the aircraft & aren't often familiar with HF procedures. Likewise, long after Military Airlift Command disappeared & Air Mobility Command with the REACH callsigns manifested itself, I'd occasionally hear guys calling for a radio check, ID'ing as MAC #####. Sometimes, they'd even do it on a long-obsolete channel like 11246 (old MacDill Global channel). Best all is hearing "MAC #####" calling "Scott Global" on 11182 -- MAC, Scott Global & 11182 having been phased-out a decade+ ago!

Long ago, I heard "Air Force Two" asking for an HF radio check using really poor procedure & at a time when I knew the VP was at his residence. Turned out it was a crew chief for one of the old 89th AW VC-9s playing around while the actual communications systems operator was taking a leak while pre-flighting the plane for a non-AF2 mission.

Status
Not open for further replies.