Calling all Uniden MR8100 owners!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PCTEK

Premium Subscriber
My MR8100

I am the original owner! My S/N= 95000219 Date Code of OIHI. All cables come out the bottom next to the DB-9 programming interface. Mine has a rocker power switch and the BNC antenna connector on one side and a 1/8" audio out jack on the other side.

Scanner is still running like a champ. Any idea if these are NFM capable? I know it won't do the 800MHz rebanding.

I purchased it on 4/8/91 for $375

Last edited:

Squelchtone

Premium Subscriber
I am the original owner! My S/N= 95000219 Date Code of OIHI. All cables come out the bottom next to the DB-9 programming interface. Mine has a rocker power switch and the BNC antenna connector on one side and a 1/8" audio out jack on the other side.

Scanner is still running like a champ. Any idea if these are NFM capable? I know it won't do the 800MHz rebanding.

I purchased it on 4/8/91 for $375

oh man, we totally need pics of the rocket switch and BNC connector! Please post some!

Thank you!

Squelchtone

Squelchtone

Premium Subscriber

commscanaus

Hi Squelchtone & other MR8100 owners!!

When this scanner first came out in the late 80's, I lusted after one.
They were never sold outside of the U.S. as far as I am aware and were very expensive.
It took me until 2004 to finally get my hands on one. It came from eBay, a seller in Oregon had a number of them and was willing to ship internationally.
This example was in rather rough condition until it was totally stripped down and given the royal treatment.
Got the DOS software and it performs very well. It mainly gets used on the airbands.
If it had CTCSS, it would have been a near perfect scanner for it's day. It is so beautifully built and solid!

Please see the picture of the original markings on the top panel.
I would like to hear from anyone who may know where this particular radio may have come from.
CHP? NYPD?

Commscanaus.

Attachments

• MR8100 Tag.JPG
    MR8100 Tag.JPG
    14.3 KB · Views: 1,386
  • MR8100 Power.JPG
    MR8100 Power.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 1,448
  • MR8100 Labels.JPG
    MR8100 Labels.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 1,287
Last edited:

Squelchtone

Premium Subscriber
COMMSCANAUS: your radio is CHP. The metal asset tag was normally put under the PRG ENT keys on the front panel and is a pain to remove in a clean manner, the writing on top is spot on to the writing on many other CHP units I have seen including mine. I think the same person wrote on all of them, handwriting looks like a match.

Glad some MR8100's have made it around the world, and I agree with you, CTCSS would have made this scanner amazing. Unfortunately, as others have discovered the radio was very susceptible to interference, especially when mounted in a vehicle.

Thanks for sharing and keep them coming!
Squelchtone

fireEmt5281

calling all MR8100 owners

date of mfg OGIO
serial no 05001331

all wires out of bottom
off/on volume control knob

always wanted one-price too high!! bought this one on Ebay 3 years ago for $75.00, I couldn't
believe it.
great radio, use it every day for local PD, FD and THP.

Squelchtone

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the contribution, much appreciated.

The MR8100 that sold a few hours ago on ebay sold for $86, I wish I had not been driving on the highway at the time otherwise I would have sniped it.

Have a good Sunday everyone,
Squelchtone

commscanaus

Thanks Squelchtone!

When giving the set a good going over and a clean, I nearly removed the asset tag and writing.
Then I decided that it is better left alone. Glad I made that decision.
Interesting to know that this example spent most of its service life mounted in a CHP cruiser!

The Off/Vol markings were completely eroded away and had to be replaced with white rub on lettering. The key mat was very brown with dirt and had to be carefully cleaned in warm soapy water with a toothbrush. The clear plastic over the display is covered with fine scratches but is still readable.

The receiver is very easily overloaded as previously stated, with several VHF and UHF frequencies unusable due to intermodulation products.
It is best suited to a low/no gain antenna such as a discone.
Unfortunately is does not have 12.5Khz steps in the VHF Hi band which is used almost exclusively here and the FM filtering is far too wide for the narrow band deviation employed.

Still, I will not part with this set!
The variable backlighting is perfect for use as a bedside radio and I wish that other receivers had such linear control of the backlighting.

Thanks for the info!

Regards, Commscanaus.

Last edited:

tprmutch

Hi
Date fo mfg D K H I
S / N 950044073
TOP OF RADIO R 5 3 1 0 5

This radio is one of the best in the shack all the wires are out the botom of the radio. has anyone replaced there bank lights and control lights under the keypad as they are very dim like to update them with led lights if possable. and is this a CHP radio ? Thanks for the help 73's

Squelchtone

Premium Subscriber
Uniden MR8100 Scanner Date Code Decoder

Hi
Date fo mfg D K H I
S / N 950044073
TOP OF RADIO R 5 3 1 0 5

This radio is one of the best in the shack all the wires are out the botom of the radio. has anyone replaced there bank lights and control lights under the keypad as they are very dim like to update them with led lights if possable. and is this a CHP radio ? Thanks for the help 73's

Hi, thanks for the post. I think your serial number is too long, can you confirm?

Radio was used by CHP.

your mfg date is O K H I November 1989

jack103: your radio was made Sept 1989, I was mistaken in my original reply.

breakdown:

first letter = always 0

2nd letter = Month
A=Jan
B=Feb
C=Mar
D=Apr
E=May
F=Jun
G=Jul
H=Aug
I=Sep
J=Oct
K=Nov
L=Dec

3rd is Decade (80's or 90's)
A=1
B=2
C=3
D=4
E=5
F=6
G=7
H=8
I=9

4th is year in that decade ('88, '89, '90, '91, etc)
A=1
B=2
C=2
D=3
E=5
F=6
G=7
H=8
I=9
0=0

Example: OKHI
O= doesn't mean anything
G= November
H= 8 (80's)
I= 9
Date of Mfg: November 1989

Another Example: OGIO
0= doesn't mean anything
G= July
I= 9 (90's)
0= 0
Date of Mfg: July 1990

Hope this helps, I may have to go back up and recheck some of the ones I posted..
Squelchtone

Last edited:

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
I finally dug up an old picture of the MR8100 I had when it was in my truck. Don't laugh, it was held down with industrial strength double sided tape!

Attachments

• 092903 - 008.jpg
    092903 - 008.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 2,200

Squelchtone

Premium Subscriber
b7spectra: Awesome pic! Thanks for posting that =) (and don't worry about using tape, we all use what we need to get the job done. you should see some of the hamsexy installs I've had to jerry rig over the years)

Squelchtone

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Due to the amount of intermod it would pick up, I pretty much relagated it to VHF aviation band scanning. As you can plainly tell, mine had the antenna connector on the side.

RepomanGP

Premium Subscriber
Sorry to jump in on this a bit late. The date code on mine is OKHI and my serial is 95003591. All wires out the bottom, on/off controlled by volume knob and there's a 1/8" headphone jack on the left side. Now if I could only find a spare mounting bracket. I purchased mine used and the seller couldn't find the mounting bracket.

Squelchtone

Premium Subscriber
looking for MR8100 Service Manual

Hi fellow Uniden MR8100 owners. I recently got an MR8100 that will not power up and I'm pretty handy with electronics and testing components, but it would be easier if I had a Service Manual to work with.

Does anyone have a paper copy or a scanned in .PDF they could share with me or with the community?

Thank you!
Squelchtone

Squelchtone

Premium Subscriber
Hi fellow Uniden MR8100 owners. I recently got an MR8100 that will not power up and I'm pretty handy with electronics and testing components, but it would be easier if I had a Service Manual to work with.

Does anyone have a paper copy or a scanned in .PDF they could share with me or with the community?

Thank you!
Squelchtone

Here is a set of files I just got from Mods.DK, Some parts lists, block diagrams, alignment procedures. Not quite the real Service Manual, but better than nothing. I'll be hosting it permanently on my server, please feel free to download: http://highsecurityconsulting.com/scanners/MR8100_Service_Procedures_and_Specs.zip

=)
Squelchtone

kb2unk

Hello all,

Now this is very cool and a blast from the past! I loved my old MR8100 and I still have mine and still love it and I am still using it today! It is on right now and I am currently listening to my local PD on it. I especially loved the computer 9-pin serial port that was on it , to allow the downloading of frequencies and also alphanumeric tags which was unheard of back then in 1989, plus the PC download capability. Mine too has the harness on the bottom and I also have the original Uniden matching remote speaker that came with it, plus both mounting brackets. Yes, I too agree that the only this that was missing for that era, was that it did not have tone capability. Other than that, great unit! I still also have the original software that came on 5-14/" floppy to run with it, plus copies in my current computer. Mine too is in great shape and I'll have to take and post some photos of it soon! Thanks all and happy scanning and lets keep this topic going! This is great!

Uplink

Due to the amount of intermod it would pick up, I pretty much relagated it to VHF aviation band scanning. As you can plainly tell, mine had the antenna connector on the side.

You got that right! I had one when they came out in the 80's, very innovative. I was so happy...at first. Then I found it completely unuseable in the Los Angeles metro area due to it getting hit big time by all the intermod. I sadly had to get rid of it, as actual listening was so un-unjoyable. Dual conversion front ends and big cities don't mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.