Calling all Uniden MR8100 owners!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squelchtone

Dear Members and Uniden MR8100 owners,

I am working on a project to document the history of the Uniden MR8100 scanner. Part of my research has to do with Date Codes and Serial numbers. I am trying to get a list of as many as possible.

If you can help and don't mind posting your Date Code and Serial number on the forum, or emailing me directly at Sequelchtone at gmail dot com, I would greatly appreciate it. Please also state if your radio's antenna connector is on the side, or comes out of the bottom, and if your radio has the On/Off power switch on the side or just the wires coming out of the bottom.

I'll start the fun:

My 2 MR8100's are

OGIO 05001020 (all wires out of bottom)
OGIO 05001361 (all wires out of bottom)

I have also seen

OFIO 05000380 (all wires out of bottom)

Thanks for your help!

Squelchtone

Uniden MR8100 Yahoo! Groups
[owner/moderator]

Squelchtone

I took a few pics of my baby, it's in amazing condition compared to other MR8100's I've seen.

Uniden-MR8100-front.jpg

Uniden-MR8100-serial-number.jpg

Squelchtone

K

kb0nly

I used to have one too... Kept it for about a year, then a distant agency came on the same frequency as my local fire channel and without the tone squelch the 8100 was useless for scanning here. And now we are moving from VHF even.

Good scanner though, mine had wires out the bottom, a pigtail with a BNC female for the antenna out of the bottom as well. Didnt know they varied any in that regards. The only ones i have seen had all the wiring out the bottom and the power switch was part of the volume control. Although you could leave that turned on and turn it on and off via the ignition sense wire.

I still have the software and such for it on a disc, if anyone ever needed it. Pretty sure its widely available online by now also.

yfdgricker

Feed Provider
I had one that I sold a while back and I just picked up another one because I missed it (and it will look great in my 1981 fire truck in the summer).

The date of MFG on the one I have now is OJHI
The serial number is 95002008

The back plate is different from the one on yours Squelchtone.

All of my wires come out of one hole in the bottom with flex tube around them. There is the pig tail with BNC for an antenna, red and black for power, green for ignition and white/gray for the speaker. My power button is in with the volume knob.

The old one I had, had the BNC antenna connector drilled out from the side of the unit.

The one I have now does have an earphone connection on the left side of the unit and on the right side, it has a cover molded into the case where a power switch could be put in if you cut out the plastic. Directly under that is another circular plastic area which might have been for the BNC antenna if it were cut out.

Last edited:

wghiii263

I still have mine, it also has the pigtail out of the bottom with the power/volume knob.

Date - OKHI
Serial - 95004344

I wish there was a way to make it trunk. Oh well, still a great scanner for it's time!

yfdgricker

Feed Provider
Not a problem Squelchtone. I've attached a front view, rear view, closeup of tag and closeup of side with power and antenna "plug" areas.

Attachments

• DSC_1705.jpg
    DSC_1705.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 2,476
  • DSC_1702.jpg
    DSC_1702.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 2,489
  • DSC_1704.jpg
    DSC_1704.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 2,435
  • DSC_1706.jpg
    DSC_1706.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 2,464

Squelchtone

Thank you to all who have participated so far both here and on my MR8100 Yahoo forum group.

Still looking for more folks to step up and help us fill in some more serial numbers and any photos you wish to share.

Keep em comin guys, thanks!

Squelchtone

Squelchtone

I had one and sold it. Worst move I ever made. I'd love to get another.

Oh man, you think that's bad? I had 2 MR8100's which were 1 serial number off.. basically I had number 05001020 and 05001021 both from a CHP ebay auction from that one guy who used to sell a bump of them. I sold number 05001021 when I needed some money and I've been kicking myself ever since. That was about 10 years ago.

Squelchtone

jack103

Premium Subscriber
My 8100 has a date code of OIHI and a serial # 95001927
All wires out of the bottom with phone plug on the left side
Dont know the age of this scanner but it is mint.

Squelchtone

My 8100 has a date code of OIHI and a serial # 95001927
All wires out of the bottom with phone plug on the left side
Dont know the age of this scanner but it is mint.

Made in November 1989. ;-)

Seems from the serials people have submitted so far, the 1989 MR8100's serial numbers start with 9500 and all the 1990 radios start with 0500. Interesting that they would make this change mid production.

Squelchtone

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Made in November 1989. ;-)

Seems from the serials people have submitted so far, the 1989 MR8100's serial numbers start with 9500 and all the 1990 radios start with 0500. Interesting that they would make this change mid production.

Squelchtone

Not if the first number of the date code is the last number of the year of manufacture, a la Motorola battery date codes.

Status
Not open for further replies.