• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Calls dispatch on the computer or print out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nec208

Okay is this true? I was reading that the FD in New York,Chicago,Philadelphia and Detroite do not dispatch the calls on the radio but comes up on the computer or station print out?

So no tone at the station or voice.And when they pull out of the station on the way to the call they use the radio.:confused:

Are other FD like this?

ibagli

Premium Subscriber
Not true for New York, from what I know. It might be both, though.

matthewtomek

Live Audio Admin
Premium Subscriber
In Memphis, we dispatch calls on the radio and the stations get a print out as well. We very well may do away with voice dispatching in the stations within the next 3 to 4 years. We have recently started working with a consultant to begin an overhaul of our CAD and MDT/AVL software and hardware.

DELCOLHFC

Philadelphia still dispatches over the radio, they also get a station printout. The units also do go responding on the radio, not sure if all the units have MDT's. Of course once on scene they all switch to encrypted TalkGroups except for comms with dispatch.

Pheonix and area departments around there have tone outs... but they get a computer print out at the station along with an electronic call data sheet includeing the home phone number, who placed the call, previous times they have been called to that address, and the nature/age/any scene information along with a GPS map that takes them to the scene. They have buttons on the laptop in the truck to call enroute, onscene, at the station, at the hospital, available, and they can send insant messages to dispatch not to tie up radio communication. Ofcourse you can still call enroute on the radio but most of them use the MCT. Theres a youtube video of the pheonix MCT's on there i will try to find the link

N

nec208

I belive Toronto fire where to be voiceless and send the calls to the computers in the fire station.

What happen too that? If you hear the Detroite fire dispatch, the truck is out the station!! So there is some thing going to the print out or computer?

DaveNF2G

Premium Subscriber
In my [experienced] view, computer printouts cause one particular problem - unclear voice communications. As long as the responders can read the printout, they don't need the dispatchers to enunciate what they say, or even to pronounce locations correctly. There's an awful lot of mumbling and auction-style dispatching going on in my area.

I have to wonder, with the "rip-n-run" saving all that air time, why do the dispatchers think they have to talk so fast?

SCPD

you usually hear FDNY while in house get calls over the radio, while when there in the truck you will hear the dispatcher call the rig and say, "your tickets on the way." which interpret to be this system, or a form of it. all FDNY rigs have MDT's in them now

nec208 said:
Well with this there must be very little on your scanner now:confused:
No because they still dispatched it over the radio... and if it was a fire call you could hear them call onscene with an onscene report, along with if the had to call a rescue to the scene or for fire attack... yea its not as much as you usually hear, but its still a decent amount.

fire4117

nec208 said:
I belive Toronto fire where to be voiceless and send the calls to the computers in the fire station.

What happen too that? If you hear the Detroite fire dispatch, the truck is out the station!! So there is some thing going to the print out or computer?
Toronto Fire still dispatches via radio. The trucks that are in station are alerted via the MOSCAD system and the voice comes over one of the 16 dispatch channels.

If there is a truck on the air, and it is a multi truck call, the dispatcher multi-sel's the OPS TG that they are on (ie SOUTH OPS) and the dispatch TG and uses Centracom Alert Tone 2and gives the message. (ie - P332 on the air, Hi-Rise 332, P333, T333, Chief 32 respond for the hi-rise alarms, etc, etc.)

At no point do they strictly rely on the computer to dispatch a call.

SkipSanders

Silent Key
One thing that 'encourages' fire departments to maintain voice dispatch is that some insurance operations will 'ding' them for higher rates if they use a single dispatch mode, requiring multiple modes (data, voice, pager) to be considered fully safe, or whatever.

Or so I've been told, anyway. Probably doesn't occur in all instances, but even so, voice dispatch persists also becaues of in the field fire chiefs, who want to HEAR new calls, not have to read about them, especially at home.

N

nec208

lakekid313 said:
you usually hear FDNY while in house get calls over the radio, while when there in the truck you will hear the dispatcher call the rig and say, "your tickets on the way." which interpret to be this system, or a form of it. all FDNY rigs have MDT's in them now
So how would a call be dispatch in New York City?

CVPI4Ever

DELCOLHFC said:
Philadelphia still dispatches over the radio, they also get a station printout. The units also do go responding on the radio, not sure if all the units have MDT's. Of course once on scene they all switch to encrypted TalkGroups except for comms with dispatch.
What is the point of encrypting fire comms?

N

nec208

CVPI4Ever said:
The brass who hates fire buffs and scanner guys.By the book.The brass who does not allow FF to take pictures on calls.

All protocols, businesses run.Never ask a DC can I take pictures of your station !! Ask FF.

Protocols,protocols and businesses run.

DELCOLHFC

CVPI4Ever said:

I can't say what the motivation was at the TOP of the food chain to go encrypted on Philly's fireground comms was, but when I asked a Whiteshirt about it at the Academy his statement went something to the tune of...."Well have you f*%#ing heard the f*%#ing language those F*%#ing guys use on the f*%#ing Tac channels? I think it was a f*%#ing Public Relations based decision to f*%#ing encrypt them!" As crazy as it sounds the guy did have point there.........
Actual reason or not I thought it was a pretty funny response.

Status
Not open for further replies.