Caltrans submissions to the Database

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Exsmokey said:
The District 9 handheld I examined said "COCOCO", which, of course, would stand for Contra Costa County. In looking at the radio sites in District 4 it seems like a good assumption that this repeater, located on Mt. Diablo, would be used for eastern Contra Costa County. I would assume that A1 (856.9875 110.9 PL) would be for non-trunked use in eastern Alameda County. The use of I5 (858.9875 146.2 PL) on Kregor must be for northern Contra Costa County, and H2 (858.7375 123.0 PL) on "Volmer" (my topo map shows "Vollmer Peak" but what's one L mean anyway) would be used for western Contra Costa County, i.e. Richmond. Are these assumptions correct? Wayne, you should be able to pick up A1 and R1 on Mt. Diablo from your location. It has been about 5 years since I visited Livermore and it was at Thanksgiving with no weather events so the D4 system was pretty much dead so I don't recall if the San Leandro Hill trunking system is used for eastern Alameda County or not. Is it?
I monitor DOT on a regular basis. "COCOCO" is used for basically the 680 corridor from Pleasanton up to the Benicia bridge and then out east. It comes booming in and is not used for anywhere outside of East COCO and the small section of Alameda. Most other sites like Volmer and Sunol Ridge are running very low power. I only hear Volmer when I am on the west side of the East Bay Hills ridgeline (where Volmer Pk is) and I cannot recall where they were when I've heard them. Generally the 880 corridor and western 580 operate off of a TG on the South trunked system (The TG is called "East Bay" and I don't think is in the DB). The trunked system is located at the San Leandro Hills radio site. You cannot hear it west of the ridgeline. It's really only copy-able along the western area of the East Bay.

I've yet to hear traffic on Kregor but I'm rarely in that area so it may not propagate south at all. I'm not sure which areas it's used for. The East COCO channel has the heaviest traffic. My hits log shows occasional traffic from A1 "DIABLO" but I can't recall where they work in. East COCO is almost triple the activity of DIABLO.

Last edited:

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
A note for others, when you see "C" or "CON" at the end of a text name it will usually mean Construction.

Re: District 10
860.7375 815.7375 B 156.7 Mt. Oso (NW of Patterson) (STOCKTON)
859.7375 814.7375 G 131.8 Mt. Oso (NW of Patterson)
859.9875 814.9875 F Unk Mt. Oso (NW of Patterson)
When I visited the State Mt Oso site in 2002 it had only the following:
860.7375 156.7 "DOT MAINT"
859.7375 131.8 "DOT CONST"

Re: District 8
Just for reference, this data came out of a Caltrans mobile from like in the 90's. I've seen reference to an updated channel list - I think on some other site - so it's no doubt out of date and not to be entered in the DB.

Code:
1	TRS		
2	TRS		
3	TRS		
4	Car to car	856.9875	110.9
5	Coast	856.9875	131.8
6	Rolling Hills	857.7375	123
7	Sierra Peak	856.9875	123
8	Johnstone Peak	860.9875	123
9	Mt Lukens	858.9875	110.9
10	Hauser Peak	857.7375	123
11	Los Pinetos	860.9875	110.9
12	Tejon Peak	858.7375	110.9
13	Waterhole	858.9875	110.9
14	Castro Peak	857.7375	123
15	South Mountain	857.9875	110.9
16	Sisar	860.7375	110.9
17	Red Mountain	859.9875	110.9
18	Box Springs	866.0375	156.7
19	Strawberry Peak	867.0375	136.5
20	Frost Peak	868.0375	123
21	Construction	859.7375	110.9
22	Channel A	856.9875	
23	Channel B	860.7375	
24	Channel C	857.7375	
25	Channel E	860.9875	
26	Channel F	859.9875	
27	Channel G	859.7375	
28	Channel H	858.7375	
29	Channel I	858.9875	
30	Channel J	857.9875	
31	Channel K	866.0375	
32	Channel L	867.0375	
33	Channel M	868.0375

Last edited:

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
Exsmokey said:
Other areas where this is an issue include the boundary between Districs 1 and 2 along the Del Norte and Humboldt County lines where they border Siskiyou County.
For District 1, in 17 years I've never heard a peep on any of CalTrans' 800 MHz frequencies, but only on 47.20 (and 47.08 between crews, flaggers, rock-knockers, etc), at least in Del Norte, Humboldt and western Trinity County. Not sure about Mendocino and Lake counties. I'm told that just like State Parks, CalTrans started installing their 800 systems in the late 80s, but found that the topography and the redwoods absolutely killed the signals. So State Parks uses VHF-Hi (151.01R and 151.025R) and CalTrans stayed put on 47.20.

As you allude to, in the north the boundary between Districts 1 and 2 is significantly east of the Humboldt County line. On SR 96, District 1 goes to Swillup Creek, MP 23.27 into Siskiyou; on SR 299 the boundary is at Trinity MP 25.77, between Del Loma and Big Bar. On SR 36, the boundary is at the Humboldt/Trinity line. AFAIK, all of District 2 at least north and west of Redding is still on 47.10, but I don't hang out over there much any more so it could be changing.

I'll make sure all my District 1 800 frequencies are in my scan list, and post anything I hear.

Last edited:

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
I've started the updates. This should take a few days as I'm cross-referencing the data with what I have.

Regarding low band ops... I read a State of CA document that stated, as of the end of last year, the following Districts are still using it: 1, 2, 5 and 11.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
Well done Ex, I've been looking forward to your conclusions on this project since you first said you were taking it on.

I live in district 4 in Marin County, and have been wondering about the validity of any activity on channel U 857.2625. For what it's worth it is still licensed for this location as WPFX944, but in the year I let it sit in my scanner I never heard any activity on it when I was in Inverness. There is an active antenna tower here just east of the Point Reyes Lighthouse (one of the transmitters for the Point Reyes NPS dispatch on 170.05 is here) but the problem with this particular location is you have no line of site to either Point Reyes Station or Inverness because of the terrain of the Inverness ridge being in the way. What you DO have from here is excellent line of site from Tomales Point north through Bodega Bay and up the coast along Hwy 1, and this site also houses a beam antenna for a 2M HAM repeater (simulcast with another on Sonoma Mtn and several more up north) pointing northward for just this purpose. I'd surmise then that if you were to see this channel in a CALTRANS radio it would be alpha tagged for a location on the Sonoma or Mendocino county coast. Having just checked the database, it appears someone HAS submitted it after all under the alpha tag "FT ROSS", precisely affirming what I've written above. Nice! :)

You're absolutely right about Mt Barnabe being the more suitable choice for the "PT REYES" alpha tag. Mt Barnabe is both a site in the West Zone of the MERA countywide TRS, and the other site for the Point Reyes NPS repeater on 170.05. Unfortunately, having had this frequency in my scanner for quite some time, the only activity I've ever heard on it lacked a PL tone and turned out to be coming from the District 4 - South TRS on San Leandro Hill, which shares 856.7375.

I'm also in a prime location to monitor the District 4 - North TRS on Big Rock Ridge in Novato... but the system is virtually dead 99% of the time. I've never heard traffic on any of the talkgroups in the DB for this system except the DOT run Tow Trucks on the Bay Bridge (TG 624) (callsign "4-2-204" etc.), which I had to submit! Last time I ran unitrunker on the control channel, there was virtually no affiliation activity at all except a few radios to and from that talkgroup! Still, now that you've helped us take the mystery out of the conventional frequencies which are more often used, I may try and take another crack at the TRSes and run the program for a more prolonged period.

Finally, I'd be happy to assist with researching licenses on the State Park system (I offered on CALTRANS too :) ). Another statewide 800 MHz radio system that's been on my list of licesnes to research is the "California Multiple Agency Radio System", also known as CMARS. I was introduced to CMARS when I learned that a local medical helicopter provider CALSTAR used their repeaters as a secondary way of contacting the CDF CZU ECC in Felton for dispatch. Very little is available online about CMARS other than that it is maintained by the CA Dept of General Services, but I've heard it was originally designed as a travel net for the CA Department of Corrections and has since gained a host of other users that all share it using different PL tones. The following is an excerpt from the 2008 Public Safety Communications Strategic Plan & Report to the CA State Legislature:

The CDCR also utilizes the State-owned California Multiple Agency Radio System (CMARS), maintained
by the DGS-TD. CMARS is a stand alone shared 800 MHz repeater system that comprises mobile relay
stations distributed at 40 locations statewide. The locations of these stations were selected to provide
maximum coverage to the major traffic arteries used by CA State agencies as well as the more densely
populated areas within CA. The CMARS system and its subscriber equipment are approximately 15 years
old. The ultimate modernization of all fixed network and subscriber equipment is required.

Since CMARS will also appear as licensed to "California, State of"... just as CALTRANS and State Parks 800 mhz repeaters do, I think it would be an extremely worthy project in addition to documenting the State Parks system - and having eliminated the CALTRANS and State Parks freqs from the license pool in each county, it would put all of us in a much better position to do so. :)

I loaded up district 5 Mon CO, SLO CO, I haven't heard any traiffic on any of the sites for the past 3 days. I don't live that far away from some of the sites to.I'll load up some low band freqs see if I can get something on those.

SCPD

QRT
inigo88 said:
Well done Ex, I've been looking forward to your conclusions on this project since you first said you were taking it on.

Finally, I'd be happy to assist with researching licenses on the State Park system (I offered on CALTRANS too :) ).

Since CMARS will also appear as licensed to "California, State of"... just as CALTRANS and State Parks 800 mhz repeaters do, I think it would be an extremely worthy project in addition to documenting the State Parks system - and having eliminated the CALTRANS and State Parks freqs from the license pool in each county, it would put all of us in a much better position to do so. :)

I appreciated your offer when I first posted that I would be working on Caltrans. I had a mixture of things to use in doing the research including:

1. A desk top logbook with the information I got from the Caltrans radio I had my hands on for about 3 weeks.
2. A 1994 Caltrans Statewide Radio Frequency Plan.
3. Notes from some travels I've taken.
4. District radio plans from Districts 6, 7, and 9.
5. Maps of repeater sites from other state agencies such as CDF.
6. Topo USA by DeLorme and all the USGS topo maps for California on disk.

It was difficult to figure out how to break up the job with so many different sources of information, some which were too big to fit into my flat top scanner to make copies for other folks. It was also difficult to imagine someone who would spend dozens of hours on very small details. For example, when I found the repeater site near Arnold, which just for the heck of it I called "Big Trees," I made two phone calls to businesses along Highway 4 after finding them on the Internet, with the purpose of finding out what their Highway 4 addresses were. I took that information and figured the street address I had for this radio site must have been that of Calaveras Big Trees State Park and called them to ask them their physical address as it was not on their website. That verified that his particular radio sites was on State Park land, but only by a couple hundred feet or so. So my hunch that I should call this site Big Trees was validated. This is certainly a big improvement over calling it 1170 East Highway 4, Arnold.

I also searched the Internet for physical addresses of Caltrans maintenance stations to double check that with FCC records that showed street addresses. At times I would use Google Earth to actually look for an electronic site when the location information on the appeared to be very much in error. Often the look of the roads and buildings gained from Google Earth quickly identify the locations of electronic sites. They don't all give the name of a geographic feature and sometimes they write lat and long numbers down wrong when filling out FCC paperwork.

The repeaters along the borders of some districts were difficult to track as to which district they belonged to. I had to use the addresses in the "Control Point" portion of the FCC licenses and match them up to facilities in each Caltrans District, some of which were not those of the District Office as listed on the Caltrans website. I had to call some Districts and ask them to verify the addresses I had as being their facilities.

My mapping software also includes lat and long searches. When I determined the location of the location listed in the license I added map tags to the maps. I have hundreds of electronic sites I've found over the years, using FCC data and agency publications I've been able to get my hands on, mostly by nature of my previous career. Once I had a District's sites tagged, I would look at the entire District on the map and find some difficult to find sites after seeing where the "holes" on the map were. This also provided additional reasons to verify that a non-licensed site was no longer in use as it may have been replaced by another site nearby that was licensed.

All of this included writing down all the pertinent data from the licenses as I didn't want to use a lot of paper and print each license out.

Without knowing other people and how detail oriented they are it is hard for this perfectionist to delegate! I'm not saying that no one else could do it, I just wanted to do it myself! I'm not looking for any pats on the back here, this is the standard of work I would do for myself, and just feel that any work I do for myself should be shared. That is, if the information I have came with the permission to use it for more than "my eyes only."

I'm not saying my information is infallible either. It is just a good place to start listening from. Unfortunately what I have is incomplete and not right up to date. FCC license data should be very good, but I've worked around radio systems long enough to know that it doesn't always reflect the actual on the ground situation.

I think you are right on with the need to research CMARS. Kelty looks like he put some good work into it, but perhaps not statewide and recently. I found that most of the licenses for this system had the address of 301 Sequoia Pacific Blvd. in Sacramento, which is the address for whatever name the California Dept./Div of Communications is these days. Some of the licenses have more local addresses.

I have a lot of "stuff" from California State Parks. I've picked up bits and pieces here and there from friends, some from letters I've written, some notes from trips, some by reading all the way through some obscure publications they put out, and some from my career. How about you research CMARS and let me take on State Parks? I'm beginning to get a handle on where the electronic sites for the state are and that will be of great aid to me. I don't know how I would share that info with you as the version of Topo USA I have is 4 years old now, so even if you did have Topo USA by DeLorme I'm not sure how to send those files to someone else. I may be detail oriented but I'm not very computer savvy.

Does that sound like a plan?

SCPD

QRT
I want to emphasize that the results I came up with for Caltrans are not infallible. They provide a good starting point for listening to this agency. This information needs validation and observation, especially in determining if the repeaters without tones listed are actually in use and what the tones might be. I wish I could travel all over the state to do this, but such is impossible. It would not be all that effective as it really takes a lot of monitoring in one location, done best by local folks, to figure out what is going on.

kma371

QRT
wayne_h said:
I monitor DOT on a regular basis. "COCOCO" is used for basically the 680 corridor from Pleasanton up to the Caldecott bridge and then out east.

Wayne, Caldecott bridge or Caldecott tunnel?

If your are talking bridges, do you mean Benicia Bridge?

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
For what it's worth your methods are very similar to my own for gathering radio intel. In addition to Topo I spend a lot of time in Street Atlas. The drawing tools are great.

Life is busy and I don't have near to the time to take on a project like this, so thanks. I'll do my best to verify what I can in Region 5.

-Kirk

SCPD

QRT
Wayne, one thing I realized I did not include and that is license information for each line. When I was typing it up I thought it might be too wide for the pages. I see that is not the case and after taking a break from this project, I will try to go back and fill that information in. I really like the link that this site provides to the license data. The link to the MapQuest maps, although very general in nature, allow each user to get a general idea of where the sites are.

Kirk, thanks for the validation of the method used and the time I spent is huge. This project is at about 80 hours now. I've done it on some very cold and windy days here at 8,000 feet. We are just beginning to get some good bicycle riding days (high 50's - low 60's)so soon we will all be chasing the short summer. It has been an 8 month heating season so far!!

I also happen to be unemployed right now and that helps. If I can ever find another decent job in this town that will not be the case.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Exsmokey said:
Wayne, one thing I realized I did not include and that is license information for each line.
If you can send them in that will be helpful. Just remember to provide just enough info so that I can line up the license with the database entry. You have a couple submissions where you resubmitted everything because of a minor error somewhere. This makes it much harder when you start on the first submission and then reach the second with unknown error corrections. Only submitting what was corrected is the best thing to do.

Another thing to know is that many Caltrans workers are given Nextel phones, which they use on a regular basis. Sometimes it's easier for the dispatcher to chirp the field worker since they can get a positive acknowledgment that they reached someone.

Well I had no luck on those 800mhz freqs. Been hearing them on low band not much talk though.But then again like wayne said they are most likely using Nextel phones.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Ok, I added all the submission data and also added the low band channels. Let me know if I goofed something up (so much data!). Thanks Exsmokey.

Inigo, regarding CMARS, there was a PDF document posted to RR by Kirk in this forum a long time ago that describes the system, who uses which tones and which sites the repeaters are at. I rarely hear any traffic other than CalStar in the SF Bay Area and some Prison transportation in the North Cental Valley. Here's the post.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
I'm sure there are more CMARS repeaters than what is listed. I know I ran across two blue repeaters that are not shown, Silver Peak in Inyo County and Government Peak in Kern County. There are likely more around the state. I found license data for many of them while researching Caltrans, but quickly passed them by without writing down specifics so I could focus on the target I had at the time.

SloScanMan_01

another thing I noticed about CMARS: most of the state prisons each have a license on 866.5375, in addition to whatever local CMARS repeater there may be. Whats up with that?

SCPD

QRT
As it has been said, CMARS was originally established as a travel net for the Department of Corrections, now the Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation. 866.5375 or CMARS Blue is the most licensed and most widely used of the CMARS system frequencies. CMARS replaced a 39 MHz system that was used by personnel transporting inmates around the state prison system.

One thought I have on this system is what dispatch or coordination centers monitor traffic on this system. Most of us are familiar with the three dispatch centers that dispatch for the Department of Fish and Game and State Parks; "Northern", "Central", and "Surcomm." Is there a similar system for the various agencies that use the CMARS system? Locally there is a CMARS Blue repeater on Silver Peak, a site that is easy to monitor from my home. I have never heard anything on it after several years of having the frequency in my scanner. Perhaps those who live in other areas of the state where radio traffic is more busy can share what they have heard.

SCPD

QRT
Just to advise - I've started my California State Park research. I will probably complete one frequency per day or every other day. I will then cross check by doing a county by county search within the range of the State Park frequencies (855.4875 - 868.5625 & 151.010 - 151.475).

This will be a long process. Lots of base stations to look up on topo maps in order to place the frequencies into the correct sectors of each State Park district.

Exsmokey said:
Just to advise - I've started my California State Park research. I will probably complete one frequency per day or every other day. I will then cross check by doing a county by county search within the range of the State Park frequencies (855.4875 - 868.5625 & 151.010 - 151.475).

This will be a long process. Lots of base stations to look up on topo maps in order to place the frequencies into the correct sectors of each State Park district.

I listen to state parks all the time here, nothing really happens here just opening gates, kicking people off the beach and ever now and then you pick up a water rescue.

Status
Not open for further replies.