Cambridge talk group 17976

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scanner-geek

Does anyone know this talkgroup? I believe it is a Cambridge Police TG since all other PD TGs are 17xxx.

It was active Friday night, and sounded like some kind of full time encryption, but did not sound digital. It was not identified as encryption by my 996t. I suppose the other possibility is that it could be some sort of data channel, but definitely not a control channel.

I thought it could perhaps be Cambridge PD detectives or surveillance but I don't know what comms they use. I have never been able to identify Cambridge detectives on the trunk on the main dispatch or ops channels which are in the clear. Anyone know what comms they are using?

Thanks

Scannergeek

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
I have a note from March 1997 logging encryption on 853.2625. A second note shows 853.2625 as part of the Cambridge trunked system in Dec of 1998. This might tell us that Cambridge detectives have long used encryption - and possibly had specific frequencies allocated for that use. This might also tell us that they pay special attention to the encryption needs of their undercover units. Ergo - you may be very correct in your assumptions about TG 17976. Peter Sz

RKG

"17976" translates to SmartNet TG 463h with Status Bit 8 set.

463h is CPD F9 (Narcotics Enforcement).

Status Bit 8 is DES Encryption.

Status
Not open for further replies.