Camden Co., NJ - County system to go live

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monoxide16

I hear ya and all I gotta say is wow just wow I guess Cherry Hill is gonna go over soon least I can still listen to crappy Burlington county system that's just horrible that system is I mostly listen to NJSP, Gloucester Co and Montgomery Co

camco911

Premium Subscriber
I hear ya and all I gotta say is wow just wow I guess Cherry Hill is gonna go over soon least I can still listen to crappy Burlington county system that's just horrible that system is I mostly listen to NJSP, Gloucester Co and Montgomery Co

I hate to burst your bubble, Gloucester County goes to there new system after the first of the year. Police to go first then fire and ems sometime in the summer.

and the police will be encrypted as well!!

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I'm glad I have other hobbies besides scanning public safety communications though I will miss it. In this area this nitch in the hobby is dying fast.

Monoxide16

Wow I should move to a new state lol seems like some parts of PA still use conventional and the NYPD still use conventional hey sorry to off topic here having trouble starting a new thread. Does anyone know what happened to Hopewell Twp PD Mercer Co still here Robinsvile PD Hamilton Twp and the sheriffs Dept on their channels but not Hopewell

Septa3371CSX1

I hate to burst your bubble, Gloucester County goes to there new system after the first of the year. Police to go first then fire and ems sometime in the summer.

Where'd you get the info regarding Gloucester County from? I haven't seen anyone noting any activity in terms of system testing and what not on here. I do believe there is a thread for that system buried here somewhere.

camco911

Premium Subscriber
I have friends that work for Gloucester County, as of less then a month ago that was the plans on the board. A fire chief told me about Fire & EMS to go up anywhere between June and August.

I do have Gloucester County programmed on my PSR-800 and I have the wildcard programmed to get any ID's. I haven't heard anything as of yesterday which leads me to believe that either #1 the talk groups are what they want them to be and they already have done all there testing #2 They haven't started yet #3 my scanner isn't programmed correctly.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I'm still hearing Gloucester twp on their P25 conventional channel. Are they simulcasting or they have not switched yet?

Also I suspect some of the information posted here about Gloucester county is incorrect. The system has not even been switched on as of yet. Usually some or all the sites will lite up then months of configuration and coverage testing are conducted. I highly dought its the first of the year 2015, more than likely 2016 or 2017.

camco911

Premium Subscriber
I'm still hearing Gloucester twp on their P25 conventional channel. Are they simulcasting or they have not switched yet?

Also I suspect some of the information posted here about Gloucester county is incorrect. The system has not even been switched on as of yet. Usually some or all the sites will lite up then months of configuration and coverage testing are conducted. I highly doubt its the first of the year 2015, more than likely 2016 or 2017.

Gloucester Twp is simulcasting right now on ID 401, they will make the full switch over in the very near future.

I am still asking my sources about Gloucester County and will have more info when I get it.

jcardani

Premium Subscriber
Like little children, if one gets away with it the other will follow soon after. I foresee other agencies in South Jersey encrypting police and maybe even fire services.

The people and the news media (who are the keys and ears of the public) should make a stand against encryption of routine public safety comms. I know one person in Florida that has the interest of several state lawmakers to write legislation against encryption.

I believe the only way out is with legislation to make it illegal for any public safely organization to encrypt basic dispatch and other non-tactical channels.

Back around 20 years ago scanner legislation was changed making it legal to listen to public safety while mobile. This also made using a scanner in the commission of a crime illegal. So scanner legislation can happen.

jcardani

Premium Subscriber
And if legislation fails, then my other idea is this.

Have the news media (TV, radio, print, etc.) in the Philadelphia region join in solidarity agains the encryption. How?
Well if the agency does not make their dispatch and routine comms clear, the media don't report crime for that jurisdiction - and let their viewers/readers know why. If all media join in solidarity and not report crime, see how fast the people will complain to the politicians and magically things will get done.

nr2d

Premium Subscriber
I don't think any legislation or lobbing will do anything to open or stop encryption. The police and fire services have a big lobby also. At least with the police I heard they all wanted it so that "their operations weren't compromised" and I don't care if it is just tactical TGs or all of the TGs. You only need 1 PD say that the lack of encryption will jeopardize public safety and that's all they need to keep their communications encrypted.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately it seems the media doesn't need to monitor any more. When ever something news worth happens there are enough folks around with cell phones taking video and sending it in to the media that they know where the news is without a scanner. I'm sure they still listen to whatever they can. I think the media will adapt to the new era of police encryption and get the story thru other means.

Don't get me wrong though, as a hobbyist listener I dread the day when the police are no longer in the clear for the public to hear. I wish things like Joe has mentioned above could happen and minds could be changed but I just don't see it happening. The police brass will throw every excuse in the book out there to keep their communications encrypted, most completely unjustified.

fireradio44

Watch the HBO Vice special on Camden Metro. In that report, there is a scene with a group of men listening to a police scanner and talking about how they use that to conduct their drug business.

That alone right there is justification for encryption. Police radio will never be in the clear again.

cru1242

Senior Newbie-12th Year
Premium Subscriber
Gloucester Township Police go Phase 2

Gloucester Township must now be on the 700Mhz system, and simulcasting on their old channel. The 500Mhz channel is using Phase 2 acording to my PSR-800, NAC 192. It also reads Talkgroup 401. My BC396T is no longer decoding the audio.

Update: Now I am getting regular P25 digital on Gloucester Townships' 500 Mhz channel again. Still seeing TG 401 though.

Last edited:

Septa3371CSX1

Gloucester Township must now be on the 700Mhz system, and simulcasting on their old channel. The 500Mhz channel is using Phase 2 acording to my PSR-800, NAC 192. It also reads Talkgroup 401. My BC396T is no longer decoding the audio.

Update: Now I am getting regular P25 digital on Gloucester Townships' 500 Mhz channel again. Still seeing TG 401 though.

As previously mentioned Gloucester Township is migrating to TG 401 on the County TRS. While the migration takes place TG 401 and the 500 conventional channel are being patched together while all radios are replaced. I suspect that once all radios have been replaced and consoles upgraded the simulcast will cease. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Status
Not open for further replies.