Campion Ambulance - Cheshire

Status
Not open for further replies.

theshadowman

Feed Provider
I just started monitoring Campion Ambulance. I live in the area but didn't have an interest until recently. I am specifically interested in the Town of Cheshire. I am hoping someone can explain how their system works. Does Cheshire take the 911 call and transfer it to Campion who then dispatches the units in town? Do the unit numbers (medic and ambulance) rotate or are there dedicated units at the Cheshire station? It sounds like each unit number has its own tone, but I haven't been listening long enough to make heads or tails of anything really.

Last edited:

csp662

Premium Subscriber
It's been a few years since I worked there. But, Medic 3 is the paramedic fly car assigned to Cheshire. So when you hear CDC (Campion Dispatch Center) tone out Cheshire, you will hear them say "Cheshire units stand by for dispatch" then the tones. The tones used to set off the pager inside the Cheshire base. Not sure if it still does. CDC will give out the call and they will say "Medic 3, car X." Usually its the same car assigned to Cheshire. When the Cheshire car is dispatched, CDC will send a Waterbury car to cover Cheshire. Usually they will have the car post at the exit 26 commuter lot. You will hear CDC tell the Waterbury car to "take the 40 at 105." Signal 40 is the stand by / cover and location 105 is the commuter lot.
Hope that helps.

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
Hi
I may be able to help you a bit,as you may already know,Campion ambulance is dispatched on the same freq as the waterbury units(campion units in torrington are on a different freq)when someone calls 911 for an ambulance it gets sent to campion dispatchers from cheshire police dispatchers.as far as the unit numbers i belive its the same unit that stays there and the emts & medics drive to the ambulance station on rt 10 in their own vehicles,if you listen long enough you will hear the same vehicle number being sent out.

I hope this helps

theshadowman

Feed Provider
That's awesome information, thanks guys. That's exactly what I was looking for. One more question:
Does Campion transport primarily to Waterbury facilities from Cheshire or do they also go to Midstate? I noticed they are listed under Northwest CMed whereas here in Wallingford we use South Central. So I assume they communicate on CMed via Northwest?

Thanks again!

MedicMike153

That's awesome information, thanks guys. That's exactly what I was looking for. One more question:
Does Campion transport primarily to Waterbury facilities from Cheshire or do they also go to Midstate? I noticed they are listed under Northwest CMed whereas here in Wallingford we use South Central. So I assume they communicate on CMed via Northwest?

Thanks again!

Yes they do. They also transport to Bradley Memorial and the New Haven hospitals as well.

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
Depending how serious the emergency is i would think they would go to midstate if it was a life or death situation, they responded to my job in cheshire (bozzutos) for a co worker who was injured and the crew asked what hospital would he perfer to be tx to,he chose midstate.but if the person is unconcious or not able to make a decision then the crew would go to nearest hosp.

MedicMike153

Depending how serious the emergency is i would think they would go to midstate if it was a life or death situation, they responded to my job in cheshire (bozzutos) for a co worker who was injured and the crew asked what hospital would he perfer to be tx to,he chose midstate.but if the person is unconcious or not able to make a decision then the crew would go to nearest hosp.

Not always true.If it's a trauma, they have to go to a Trauma Center. Midstate is not one. Closest would be either Yale New Haven, either Waterbury hospitals or Hartford / St Francis.

leadjammer

Campion Ambulance-Cheshire

What frequency does Campion use in Cheshire? I live in Hamden and pick up nothing on the Waterbury frequency. Is there another frequency for Cheshire? Maybe I'm out of range. Thanks.

theshadowman

Feed Provider
Campion dispatches the Cheshire units on 461.225 with a DPL of 662, which is the Waterbury frequency. I definitely hear them on there. If you aren't hearing anything at all, check your frequency and/or PL. If both are correct then I suppose the terrain or distance between you and the transmitter are a factor.

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
What frequency does Campion use in Cheshire? I live in Hamden and pick up nothing on the Waterbury frequency. Is there another frequency for Cheshire? Maybe I'm out of range. Thanks.

Definatly check the freq and pl as leadjammer stated,they have a strong signal for their system unlike the waterbury pd and fd system,if you live a part of hamden that sleeping giant mountain is in the line of sight then that could be the issue.case in point is i can't pick up hamden or new haven fd channels from my house in wolcott with a good indoor anntena but i can pick up hartford fd simulcast channel and im right on top of southington mountain area,plus i have the huge meriden mountain blocking my sight also.

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
Not always true.If it's a trauma, they have to go to a Trauma Center. Midstate is not one. Closest would be either Yale New Haven, either Waterbury hospitals or Hartford / St Francis.

Thanks mike sorry i forgot to mention that info and you are absolutley correct.

leadjammer

Campion Ambulance-Cheshire

Thanks for the info, guys. My settings are correct but that channel for me comes in very faint and full of static most of the time. Once in a while I'll pick something up maybe if the signals are bouncing around better.I have a good outside antenna so I guess its just where I live and something is probably blocking the signal. I'm over not too far from WELI radio. Everything else comes in fine Cheshire PD, FD but that Campion channel is almost impossible for me to get. Strange sometimes. Thanks again..

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info, guys. My settings are correct but that channel for me comes in very faint and full of static most of the time. Once in a while I'll pick something up maybe if the signals are bouncing around better.I have a good outside antenna so I guess its just where I live and something is probably blocking the signal. I'm over not too far from WELI radio. Everything else comes in fine Cheshire PD, FD but that Campion channel is almost impossible for me to get. Strange sometimes. Thanks again..

I would recommend keep on trying to monitor,ive noticed weather sometimes affects picking up signals,such as very cloudy or low ceiling,it has happened to me

Status
Not open for further replies.