Can I get it back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

unclebobby

Premium Subscriber
Hello All, We bought a new computer and I did not copy the uniden software that you can use to control and store your scanner info with . I did all of my updates on my 2 scanners ( BCD996T) ( BCD396T) Do I have to pay for software from a place like Scannermasters? Do you know the software I'm talking about? I do love the two scanners , they work great,and take at least one with me all the time when I go out .

Thanks for all your help, Bob

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
If it was UASD, the BCD996T and BCD396T versions don't require a key. Just reinstall.

If it was ARC or Proscan, I believe you'll need your registration key.

unclebobby

Premium Subscriber
Thank you all

Thanks , GTO 04, Sjlamb, Upman.
I will reinstall both . That was very nice of you all! A BIG THANKS!
Bob

crippledchicken

Premium Subscriber
Hello All, We bought a new computer and I did not copy the uniden software that you can use to control and store your scanner info with . I did all of my updates on my 2 scanners ( BCD996T) ( BCD396T) Do I have to pay for software from a place like Scannermasters? Do you know the software I'm talking about? I do love the two scanners , they work great,and take at least one with me all the time when I go out .

Thanks for all your help, Bob
If you were using Proscan, you are suppose to de-activate it on the old pc. first, before you can activate it on the new pc. otherwise, your name/key will be rejected on the new pc.

sjlamb

If you were using Proscan, you are suppose to de-activate it on the old pc. first, before you can activate it on the new pc. otherwise, your name/key will be rejected on the new pc.

OP specified "Uniden Software" so I assumed he was referring to UASD for 996T and 396T, which seems to have been confirmed by his second post.

unclebobby

Premium Subscriber
Missing ports on new computer

Thanks , Sjlamb for helping out. My problem is now I looked at the back of new comp. and there is a port missing where the 9 pin cable would connect to run the BCD996T scanner. Computer is an HP Pavilion
with AMD Athlon 11 Quad-core Processor 620,6GB mem.,640 Hard drive . Windows 7Home Premium 64bit.
It is missing the 9 pin port is that called the RS232 ? I did find a 1'USB to 9Pin RS-232 Cable , Is this what I would need ,and if so would this newer computer work with it . (the scanner and cable ) Do you think a call to HP is needed.
You all are very helpful, and I thank YOU!
Bob

br0adband

The standard connection cable supplied with Uniden scanners is for use with 9 pin serial ports, and most if not all "new" computers made in the past 2 years or so don't even have those types of old ports anymore. Uniden sells an actual USB connection cable, I think it retails for another $30 or so.

The other options are:

- get a PCI serial port card that provides you with 1 or 2 9-pin serial ports for such purposes, or...

- get a cable similar to the one you just mentioned. I have one made by Keyspan that I've been using for years now, it works great without issues as long as the drivers are available so the operating system can talk to the device (luckily, Keyspan is great with those for Windows).

The USB-to-Serial cables come in a variety of shapes, forms, and sizes but as long as it's providing a 9 pin male end for the Uniden serial cable to attach to (that's the cable that came with your scanner) you should be good to go.

RS-232 is just the "iindustry" nomenclature/name for such ports, and you can have 9 pin, 25 pin, 50 pin, etc. When people say "serial port" in reference to computers, pretty much everyone knows it means the 9-pin serial port you're looking for that doesn't exist on your PC, much the same as "printer port" translates to parallel port (the wider 25 pin ports). Believe it or not, they all provide the same functionality - there are adapters that would let you go from a 25 pin parallel port and match that 9-pin female end of the connection cable, but just as serial ports are disappearing from PCs, so are the parallel ports.

Most everything is moving to USB which is smaller, more common, and the way things are done nowadays.

Good luck...

Last edited:

rvictor

Windows 7Home Premium 64bit.
It is missing the 9 pin port is that called the RS232 ? I did find a 1'USB to 9Pin RS-232 Cable , Is this what I would need ,and if so would this newer computer work with it . (the scanner and cable ) Do you think a call to HP is needed.
You all are very helpful, and I thank YOU!
Bob
The best, but not the easiest way, is to buy a serial card for your computer which will give you a real serial port.

However, most people just buy a serial to USB adapter or the Uniden USB-1 cable which includes such an adapter as part of the cable.

In any case, you will need to install the appropriate drivers for the serial card or the adapter/cable. In the case of the adapter/cable, this should be done before connecting the adapter/cable to your computer.

Make sure that whatever you buy has drivers available for 64 bit Windows 7 or you may just be trading one problem for another.

Dick

Status
Not open for further replies.