TRX-1: Can I Scan a "Limit Search/Sweeper Search"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zwc

Premium Subscriber
Hi all -

I just received my TRX-1 and I'm digging it. I didn't like it a first glance, but it's got a way hot receiver so I decided it was all right in my book.

Question: Can a Sweeper Search or Limit Search object be assigned to a scan list? I could do this with my PSR500 but don't see how to do this with the TRX-1 via software or the scanner.

Updating the firmware went perfectly on a Windows 10.1 machine. Not a fan of the brick like shape but I'm warming up to it. It actually fits very well inside my small car due to its design. The multi-function arrow switch is very sensitive going to the left direction. I've read that others have had the same experience and hope it doesn't get worse as I want to hold on to this radio since it is performing so well for me in my setup.

- ZWC

woodpecker

Hi all -

I just received my TRX-1 and I'm digging it. I didn't like it a first glance, but it's got a way hot receiver so I decided it was all right in my book.

Question: Can a Sweeper Search or Limit Search object be assigned to a scan list? I could do this with my PSR500 but don't see how to do this with the TRX-1 via software or the scanner.

Updating the firmware went perfectly on a Windows 10.1 machine. Not a fan of the brick like shape but I'm warming up to it. It actually fits very well inside my small car due to its design. The multi-function arrow switch is very sensitive going to the left direction. I've read that others have had the same experience and hope it doesn't get worse as I want to hold on to this radio since it is performing so well for me in my setup.

- ZWC

In the manual it says on Page 4 that Defined Searches are scannable objects, however I cannot find any method of creating a defined search object, the search side of the TRX scanners seems very limited, can't even define the limit search from the software.

zwc

Premium Subscriber
Thank you WP.

I don't see anything related to limit or service searches in the software, other than to enable recording. I hope that it could be configured directly at the radio but apparently not.

Since searches are handled as regular objects, or at least used to be, I don't know why they are being treated differently.

I also can't find how to directly enter a frequency using the keypad, other than to program it as an object. I used to be able to "function / tune" on an paused object to tune to that freq, but can't figure how to do that either.

Also, is there a "super user" settings menu like on the 500/600?

- ZWC

trunker

In the manual it says on Page 4 that Defined Searches are scannable objects...
That's a copy any paste from the 1065 manual that should have been deleted. Also includes 'Radio services' (service searches) which are also no longer 'scannable objects'.

zwc

Premium Subscriber
That's a copy any paste from the 1065 manual that should have been deleted. Also includes 'Radio services' (service searches) which are also no longer 'scannable objects'.

That stinks. I liked scanning limit searches and occasionally spectrum sweeper, and having anything found stored into a list for future monitoring.

Does the TRX-1 auto store TGIDs found during Wildcard hits? I don't see that it does, but I hope so.

- ZWC

woodpecker

Well I wonder what Whistler have got to say about this then?

At least Uniden are gradully catching up with the features they promised on the x36HP range, now we have features listed in the manual from Whistler which don't even exist, that is disgraceful!

I've got to say the limit search feature on these TRX models is awful, you can only set a single upper and lower range, you can't set the step, can't set the mode its all a bit basic.

zwc

Premium Subscriber
I don't mind the limitations that the current TRX limit searches have, other than the fact that I can't scan a search as a "searchable object". That's a big thing to me, and I'm sure a lot of others who wish to find freqs and not expect RR to spoon feed us everything. :)

That being said, my TRX-1 has a killer receiver and its already earned it keep. I don't like that I can't tune to any freq via the keypad, I don't like that I can't scan "searches", and I don't like that I can't auto-store TGIDs from Wildcard! searches, but I do like a lot about it too.

It seems to be more geared to those who will be using RR to program it and less friendly to those who want to use it to explore the radio spectrum. I hope scanner designers don't forget that there are those of us who derive our scanner pleasure from discovering freqs and not merely downloading them.

- ZWC

wbloss

Human
Database Admin
I don't mind the limitations that the current TRX limit searches have, other than the fact that I can't scan a search as a "searchable object". That's a big thing to me, and I'm sure a lot of others who wish to find freqs and not expect RR to spoon feed us everything. :)

That being said, my TRX-1 has a killer receiver and its already earned it keep. I don't like that I can't tune to any freq via the keypad, I don't like that I can't scan "searches", and I don't like that I can't auto-store TGIDs from Wildcard! searches, but I do like a lot about it too.

It seems to be more geared to those who will be using RR to program it and less friendly to those who want to use it to explore the radio spectrum. I hope scanner designers don't forget that there are those of us who derive our scanner pleasure from discovering freqs and not merely downloading them.

- ZWC
And the fact that they wouldn't be in the database if one of us had not found it first!

Wally

Status
Not open for further replies.