Can Icom or Yaesu do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gonzalu

I am looking for a way to quickly access memory locations/frequencies on a VHF radio with airband coverage. I love the new touch screen capable radios from Yaesu and Icom but don't know if I could have this capability. Here is an example of what I am looking for.

9QeuB9W.jpg

Thank you.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Well, you wouldn't be able to display the channels quite that way, but the radios DO allow individual frequencies to be saved in discrete memory locations. Each of those locations would display the memory number, the receive frequency, the receive mode, and an alpha tag (such as "KJFK Tower").

You access the memory locations by turning the channel selector knob or, alternatively, you could scan through the memories (at a pretty good clip!). You could also lock out memories that you DON'T want to scan.

If you do a Google search for FTM400DR manual you could read all about exactly what these radios are capable of.

Another point... all your frequencies of interest appear to be receive-only. If you can't use (or don't need) transmit capability, you could probably get a high-quality scanner for many fewer $$$.

John - AC4JK

gonzalu

Thank you...

Therein lies my problem. NOTHING I have looked at or own allows me to do what I want:

--Single Button Push to get a memory location tuned and receiving.

RIght now I have all sorts of tricks to scan and such. It does not work for me. I need to be locked on frequency for some time and manually change to another as needed.

The Ham Radios above are suggested because, well, I am a ham and need them anyway, but more importantly, have touch screen interfaces that presumably allow programmable ability to get features added without buying a whole new radio.

Scrolling, scanning, etc., not what I wanted :(

I want to select a frequency/memory location and tune to it instantly.

Thanks for the tips.

pb_lonny

The Icom R1500 when connected to a PC had a screen where you could program 25? channels and click on each one.

KB3KBR

(ಠ_ಠ) (◣_◢) (。◕‿◕。)
Feed Provider
the yaesu's will do almost what you want, but it will have to be button presses IE 005 024 267 etc for channels and the ft1 does 4 button presses. i don't think theres anything new out there that will do a single key press.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Thank you...

Therein lies my problem. NOTHING I have looked at or own allows me to do what I want:

--Single Button Push to get a memory location tuned and receiving.

RIght now I have all sorts of tricks to scan and such. It does not work for me. I need to be locked on frequency for some time and manually change to another as needed.

The Ham Radios above are suggested because, well, I am a ham and need them anyway, but more importantly, have touch screen interfaces that presumably allow programmable ability to get features added without buying a whole new radio.

Scrolling, scanning, etc., not what I wanted :(

I want to select a frequency/memory location and tune to it instantly.

Thanks for the tips.
. Many radios will allow you to change memories by simply turning a channel/frequency selector, would that work for you? No button pushing needed. Simpler is better sometimes. :wink: 73, n9zas

gonzalu

The Icom R1500 when connected to a PC had a screen where you could program 25? channels and click on each one.

Interesting, must check into this. Is it the native Icom software or third party? I can technically do this via ScanStar but that's expensive for what I need and would require a computer. While I ultimately don;t mind using a computer to do this, I rather use the native touchscreen if possible.

Thank you.

gonzalu

the yaesu's will do almost what you want, but it will have to be button presses IE 005 024 267 etc for channels and the ft1 does 4 button presses. i don't think theres anything new out there that will do a single key press.

Thank you, yes, I have been told this. I may go this route since I do want to get a new dual band VHF/UHF radio ...

gonzalu

. Many radios will allow you to change memories by simply turning a channel/frequency selector, would that work for you? No button pushing needed. Simpler is better sometimes. :wink: 73, n9zas

Yeah I do this now but it is still problematic. I never remember where a particular channel is and then I end up scrolling way past both ways.

I really need to be able to select a frequency/channel as quickly as possible directly. I do not want to remember anything but the name (ROBER, CAMRN, TOWER 1, TOWER 2, GROUND 1, GROUND 2, FINAL) as that I remember and also the ATC will do this handoff by name most times and I can just go to the frequency.

If I don;t get to the channel quick enough I miss the call. Most ATC calls are very brief and sometimes do not happen again for some time. If I am chasing a particular tail number, time matters as relocating runways at JFK is a very far and traffic blocked proposition :)

I believe the Yaesu Aviation radios have this but they only allow for two frequencies that you can go back and forth between like TOWER and GROUND as they are made for small aircraft and those usually fly in uncontrolled airports or ones with a single frequency for most ops.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
My icom hm133v mic has an f1 and f2 that can be programmed to a specific channel. I use it with my local repeater on f1 and simplex on f2. However my radio (v8000) won't get down in the airband but that mic did come with lots of icom models so the setup may work on others. But the buttons on the mic and not the radio might not be what you're after.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
I know it's an older (but still current) model, but I think the closest thing that meets what your looking for might be the 6 "Hyper Memories" on the FT-8800/FT-8900. While you lose one to your home configuration, you could set the other 5 up to immediately go to 2 different frequencies (1 on each tuner,) giving you 10 frequencies at the touch of a button.

gonzalu

I know it's an older (but still current) model, but I think the closest thing that meets what your looking for might be the 6 "Hyper Memories" on the FT-8800/FT-8900. While you lose one to your home configuration, you could set the other 5 up to immediately go to 2 different frequencies (1 on each tuner,) giving you 10 frequencies at the touch of a button.

Curious, thanks. Will look into it...

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Yeah I do this now but it is still problematic. I never remember where a particular channel is and then I end up scrolling way past both ways.

I really need to be able to select a frequency/channel as quickly as possible directly. I do not want to remember anything but the name (ROBER, CAMRN, TOWER 1, TOWER 2, GROUND 1, GROUND 2, FINAL) as that I remember and also the ATC will do this handoff by name most times and I can just go to the frequency.

If I don;t get to the channel quick enough I miss the call. Most ATC calls are very brief and sometimes do not happen again for some time. If I am chasing a particular tail number, time matters as relocating runways at JFK is a very far and traffic blocked proposition :)

I believe the Yaesu Aviation radios have this but they only allow for two frequencies that you can go back and forth between like TOWER and GROUND as they are made for small aircraft and those usually fly in uncontrolled airports or ones with a single frequency for most ops.
. You seem to be overthinking this, all you need to do is program I.d. tags for each channel OR if your radio doesn't have that feature then just print out a channel list for it. Another trick would be to program duplicate entries for each frequency of interest. 73, n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.