can somebody help

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi yall I am kinda frustrated .I plugged my pro 96 into my computer and nothing happened .I expected the interface cable I just bought ,to be recognized as new hardware or at least have my computer notice a new device,but nothing happened.i actually have no idea at all what I should do at this point.apparently im supposed to go inlinr and update my firmware or something?????so I bought a cable and now what ..can anybody walk me through this .ill pay you /623 419 9642 if you want to call me.thank you in advance scott

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
What cable did you purchase? Post a link to it so that we can see which one it is.

Also, what computer are you using?

Last edited:

bob550

Premium Subscriber
What version of Windows are you using? In most cases, newer Windows versions should recognize the cable and load the appropriate drivers without further effort on your behalf. That said, not all cable chipsets work with all versions of Windows.

Also I run windows 10 and it the drivers didn’t update and the cable wasn’t recognized by my computer when I plugged it into the usb

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Try plugging a USB flash drive or other peripheral into the same USB slot to see if the computer recognizes that. You can also check Device Manager when plugging the cable in to see if it shows up under the Ports listing. When I plugged the cable for my PRO-651 that I bought from bluemax49ers into my Win 10 computer, Device Manager shows an entry for "USB Serial Port (COM X). Lastly, if you haven't done so already, restart your computer.

byndhlptom

You should also verify that the programming SW you have supports USB. If I remember correctly (That's a big if....), most of the Pro96/106 stuff was DOS based and only worked with true serial ports. I could be wrong....

$.02

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
You should also verify that the programming SW you have supports USB. If I remember correctly (That's a big if....), most of the Pro96/106 stuff was DOS based and only worked with true serial ports. I could be wrong....

$.02

The Pro96 software (and the scanner) is serial port based, not USB. The programming cable emulates a serial COM port on your computer. The communications between the scanner and the computer are serial based.

When using the software menu, you select a COM port to match the one that your computer has assigned to the programming cable.

Software Win96 from Starrsoft, and ARC96 from Butel runs on Windows 10 and several versions below that.

Last edited:
The Pro96 software (and the scanner) is serial port based, not USB. The programming cable emulates a serial COM port on your computer. The communications between the scanner and the computer are serial based.

When using the software menu, you select a COM port to match the one that your computer has assigned to the programming cable.

Software Win96 from Starrsoft, and ARC96 from Butel runs on Windows 10 and several versions below that.

so are you saying that my usb cable wont work ?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
so are you saying that my usb cable wont work ?

The cable that you linked to has the USB to serial port emulator in it. That's what the FTDI chip is for. Assuming that the cable is not defective (which it may be if no drivers are loading and the computer doesn't acknowledge it's presence), it should work for your scanner.

If it's a working cable, with a genuine FTDI chip in it, Windows should recognize that you connected it to the computer, load the proper drivers, and it should show up as a COM port in your Windows hardware manager. It doesn't even need to be connected to the scanner for any of that to happen.

The cable that you linked to has the USB to serial port emulator in it. That's what the FTDI chip is for. Assuming that the cable is not defective (which it may be if no drivers are loading and the computer doesn't acknowledge it's presence), it should work for your scanner.

If it's a working cable, with a genuine FTDI chip in it, Windows should recognize that you connected it to the computer, load the proper drivers, and it should show up as a COM port in your Windows hardware manager. It doesn't even need to be connected to the scanner for any of that to happen.
oh ok gotcha .great explaination. its a brand new cable I bought from bluemax49ers, and its not recognized still.weird ..thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.