SDS100/SDS200: Can someone confirm..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
When recording conventional analog transmission using a PL tone (say 156.7) -- does the SDS100 filter the PL tone from the recording during playback..?

Ex: On my TRX-1 when recording numerous analog transmissions using 156.7 PL I have to [unfortunately] put up with the BRRHHH of the PL tone during playback.

I can filter the tone manually using Audacity but doing this 168 times is really annoying. I'd love to find a way to automate this process...

PS. Just to clarify, the TRX-1 *does* filter the PL when playback is [live or from a recording] from the scanner itself; however, the saved AU files [I presume] are raw audio recordings and thus contain the PL tone as well as the voice audio. So when playing back recordings using the EZSCAN software, it unfortunately just plays the raw, unfiltered audio.

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Uniden recordings have about a 100Hz low-pass filter, most likely because digital audio (P25, NXDN, DMR, etc) frequency response extends down to about 100Hz. So you can hear PL tones of 100Hz and higher, but not DCS or tones below 100Hz.

Ubbe

In HP1 the high pass filter are set to 250Hz as default (you can change both low and high pass filters in service mode) for the speaker and record audio to filter out most of the PL tone. I wouldn't think that it have changed in later models. The digital signal to the DSP are taken before any filters.

Whistler have choosen the wrong point to extract the audio for its recording. It is unfiltered and conversation are being recorded with full blasting subtone audio. The delay unit makes each non subtone controlled conversation start with a noise burst with each SQ opening and last syllable are cut off at SQ close.

/Ubbe

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
In HP1 the high pass filter are set to 250Hz as default (you can change both low and high pass filters in service mode) for the speaker and record audio to filter out most of the PL tone. I wouldn't think that it have changed in later models. The digital signal to the DSP are taken before any filters.

Yes that sounds about right. I couldn't remember what the 436HP had (before I sold it) but I didn't remember hearing PL tones during my audio output/playback.

Whistler have choosen the wrong point to extract the audio for its recording.

Yeah very annoying. I wrote a bug report to Whistler about this one but never heard back. Might be some design flaw. I was hoping they could do something in EZSCAN but I guess it's not high priority. :confused:

Ubbe

I was hoping they could do something in EZSCAN but I guess it's not high priority. :confused:

They could easily do a high pass 300Hz filter in the audio player they are using. The speech audio are already cut off at 300Hz, or even higher. Their speech audio are very thin with absolutly no low end frequencies to it, except for the subtones that seems almost exaggerated. Design fault?

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.