Can you use FM in 10 Meter? Does anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know JWT.... sounds like you encounter'd one of the last of a dead breed- the AM Fanatic. I dare say that unless you told him you were using a 'rice box' transceiver, he never would have known. I wouldn't say a thing........ :)

True, there is a real "quality" about a true plate modulated AM signal*- its got the full range of audio highs and lows- in a 8-10 KHz wide signal. Unless you are an AM broadcast station, this doesn't matter since we are into communications, not audiophile stuff. That's why we have single side band, and use audio compression.

With plate modulated AM- the big transformer 'real AM' league-- 50% of its power is going to be wasted as carrier. If you throw in an extra sideband, there goes another 25%..... its a pretty inefficient mode. And unless someone looks at you with a scope, its darn hard to tell how you are achieving AM.... but maybe they can also feel all that heat coming off your transmitter. :)

Today you can run a low level AM signal thru a Class AB1 amp, going QRO and no will be the wiser.

AM techniques with tube transmitters can/did run the gamut. Screen, grid, plate; some poorly design'd circuits even produce nice sounding signals with a downward modulation.

* When I was a student I used to moonlight as the engineer-DJ-custodian at a campus AM radio station. 1000 Watts from a 4-1000 Eimac final.... the modulator transformer came from the audio section of an ancient BC-610E.... and it was pure, sweet plate modulation ! :)

My program sign-on was Debbie Harry's - "Blondie's"- Atomic-- I would turn off the overhead lights and delite in watching the slightly gassy 4-1000 flash blue in time to her music...........

Lauri :sneaky:

Last edited by a moderator:

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Excellent posts folks. 10m is a great band to work when open.

Listen in on 10m this weekend, the ARRL International DX Phone contest is happening. Becha' the band will be a lot livelier than usual

As was mentioned before, there are domestic CW beacons from 28.2 - 28.3, and int'l beacons from 28.1 - 28.2. Those are good indicators of band conditions. Also, check the CB band, especially channels 6 and 11 for AM skip and channel 38 for SSB skip.

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
Even though F-layer skip is out of the picture currently, 10m has many E-skip openings in North America (and other parts of the globe.) Mostly around June and July in North America. We had a 10m opening a couple of weeks ago due to a wild temperature inversion. These openings can be 600 to 1000 miles. I just purchsed a new Sirio 847 10m vertical 5/8 wave antenna in anticipation of the E-layer openings of summer. Lots of fun. 10m is far from dead. F-layer will start to come back in five years or so.
Yeah,kind of nice i worked a few ham during that opening on SSB and a home made dipole cut for 10 meters and yes 10 meters is not dead.....

Status
Not open for further replies.