Canadian Military spending

Status
Not open for further replies.

pathalogical

Nice to see the military spending a couple of bucks. I think they also mentioned something about our CF-18's. Personally, I think some F-16's would be a nice addition. Hmmm...I wonder if the military folks will be attending this year's CNE Airshow. Since they are spending "by the billions", maybe a couple of these babies might get their attention... www.cias.org ...what do you think ???

shores

I don't think you will ever see F16's.
They were originally considered back before we got the CF18's, but due to a single engine, they thought it wasn't rugged enough for northern or cross atlantic use.

Also, mr oconnor our defense spending guru used to lobby for boeing/mcdonnell douglas, so I can only see more CF18's :)

It definitely is nice to see some much needed spending, and its actually all important things.
Also nice to see that besides upgrading the leopard I tanks we do have, they are standardizing on all the variants of the LavIII family, including the new Stryker vehicle with the 105mm gun, same as the americans.

CF18's have been slowly been being upgraded with helmet mounted displays and other upgrades, but I forget most of that info.
edit: here's the upgrade link
http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/equip/cf-18/future_e.asp

Last edited:

pathalogical

I only mentioned the 16's because it's my other favourite fighter, wishfull thinking I guess. I do remember reading that the 18's were being upgraded. You mentioned tanks as well, is the Meaford tank range still in operation ?

shores

yup, biggest training centre in ontario during the summer
huge expansions ;)
ive got some of their freq's loaded
i can hear them when firing arty from many miles away its like rolling thunder.
if only i could find some lower frequencies that I can pickup from so far away :(

They only use LAVIII and towed arty there, some paladin M109 on occasion.
I've got the base ops for trenton and borden in, I can't do UHF on the BCT8 but all the VHF I have programmed in when they have choppers there.
Anyone have any common canadian mil freq's for land, not air?

Mark_Space

Mmmmeaford...

No more tanks at Meaford, just small arms, grenades,etc. I'm thinking most armoured live-fire takes place in Gagetown, N.B. or Wainwright, Ab...

boomboy64

Mark_Space said:
No more tanks at Meaford, just small arms, grenades,etc. I'm thinking most armoured live-fire takes place in Gagetown, N.B. or Wainwright, Ab...

And you can add that we don't have any M109s anymore... All our artillery (105 & 155mm) is towed now.

Cheers,

Boomboy64

jellotor

shores said:
yup, biggest training centre in ontario during the summer
huge expansions ;)
ive got some of their freq's loaded
i can hear them when firing arty from many miles away its like rolling thunder.
if only i could find some lower frequencies that I can pickup from so far away :(

Don't forget all the foreign (American & British) cold weather training going on at Meaford. The folks live in north Sydenham...close to the base...always plenty of activity year-round there.

But I must admit I've never programmed any frequencies for Meaford into my scanner. A quick survey of the database shows that no one has submitted any info either. Shores, can you provide what you've got for the base and I'll confirm it next time I'm up to raid the fridge?

shores

I'll ask around and upload some as soon as I have any.
I have the radio freq's from TAFL in the 400mhz range for inhouse use for maintenance and stuff, but not by any troop training itself
I'll do some digging after the long weekend :)

jellotor

I know most of the maintenance at Meaford is done by private contractors so they may have their own radio system or lack thereof. I'll take a scoot up the Range Road in the next couple of weeks with the scanner on search and see if there's anything sticking out...like a VHF control channel!

shores

Yup.
I know people working there, but not on radios.
Have no other info so far.
Let me know if you find anything or if anyone has any sites of mobile land freq's that would be helpful.
Usually they are in the 40-60mhz area?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Take a look in TAFL. I think the private contractor has a couple of UHF frequencies in there.

shores

yup already have those in there.
thats just used by people sweeping floors, etc.
i know what those are for and who uses them.
they aren't of any real importance or exciting though.
I'm aiming more for when they have all the troops over all summer, and the SEAL and marine recon teams over for training especially in winter for cold weather training, the actual military comms.

any idears?

jellotor

Mike_Oxlong said:
Take a look in TAFL. I think the private contractor has a couple of UHF frequencies in there.

Indeed they do...

64.037500 464.037500 16.00 444000 804000 MEAFORD TRAINING RANGE CANADIAN BASE OPERATORS INC. BUILDING #M156, ACCOUNTS PAYABLE
464.937500 464.937500 16.00 444000 804000 MEAFORD TRAINING RANGE CANADIAN BASE OPERATORS INC. BUILDING #M156, ACCOUNTS PAYABLE
469.262500 469.262500 16.00 444000 804000 MEAFORD TRAINING RANGE CANADIAN BASE OPERATORS INC. BUILDING #M156, ACCOUNTS PAYABLE
469.262500 469.262500 16.00 444000 804000 MEAFORD TRAINING RANGE CANADIAN BASE OPERATORS INC. BUILDING #M156, ACCOUNTS PAYABLE

I'll confirm the next time I'm up in the area.

boomboy64

shores said:
we still have M109's

Here's the link taken today off the site.

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/2_0_13.asp?uSubSection=13&uSection=1

Unfortunately, as with most web sites, some parts are desparately in need of updates. You'll still see a few M109s trundling around in such places as Borden for maintenance training, but all were retired from operations during 2005. As the article says, they were to be replaced with 105mm guns and mortars, but we bought a small amount of towed 155mm guns that are currently doing great service in Afghanistan.

Short excerpt from an article a while back:

EXERCISE FINAL MISSION
By Lieutenant Stephen Burke
February the 25th, 2005 marked the retirement of the M109 Howitzer from service with the Canadian Army and the Royal Canadian Horse Artillery. The 155mm self-propelled howitzer had been the primary armament of The Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery since 1968, when it replaced a towed gun. Today it is being replaced by a towed 105mm gun and the 81mm mortar, until the future indirect fire system project provides us with the next generation of howitzer.<snip>

On the subject of a/c, yes, the single engine a/c were disregarded because of the risk of engine failure in the north. The final three during that competition were the F18, the F14 and the Tornado.

Cheers,

Boomboy64

Status
Not open for further replies.