• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Canadian protesters hijack U.S. Border Patrol car

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJB

Yes, this is not a new story, this hapenned last week.
A group of native protesters have had a barracade up on a major highway and have disrupted the town of Caledonia for months. There is a dispute over land between 6Nations and some developers.
Things came to a head on last Friday when a innocent old couple were attacked and the old man had a hear attack. This was captured on film by a local TV station and the protesters attacked the cameramen while our provincial police stood by and watched.

Finally our governemtn here in Ontario (which has done a horrible job in this regard in my opinion, along with the OPP our provincial equivilant of your state troopers) finally got the barracades down and things MIGHT return to normal.
Natives on both sides of the border do not REALLY claim to be either canadian or American. My knowledge of native land claims is sketchy but I do know that the 6 Nations confederacy is a multi-national (US and Canada) organization, so calling them canadian protesters is a mistake by whatever news organization put this out.

If you guys really cared, there is a thread about this in the Eastern Canada section of this website. One of the main 'posters' about this incident works for the tv station where the camera men were assulted and has an indepth viewpoint of this incident which goes miles above whatever news agency put out that article and above my tellings of this.

Again, thank you American media for notcing us :)
lol
Eric

Dubbin

Premium Subscriber
The protesters say the site was part of a large land grant dating to 1784, but the provincial and federal governments say the land was surrendered in 1841 for construction of a highway.
They were building highways in 1841??????????????????

EJB

Yes, they built highways in canada in 1841, as they did in the U.S. for horses and stage coaches. The Hwy is or was called the plank road, I dont know what planks are (wood I guess). A good example of highway building pre- car is Hwy 1 along the Atlantic coast called the Post road (to move mail)
As for violence, there were incidents, the towns people were really pissed off about this and noone took much intrest in the native land claims 'till the road was blocked.
Luckilly this seems to be dying down.

MacombMonitor

They should have mowed them down with machine guns. The agents were obviously in fear for their lives!

MacombMonitor

seamusg said:
Were they allowed to have guns?
I would hope so, but I'm not familiar with Canada's Border Patrol. Considering Border Patrol has to deal with the threat of terrorist these days, I would think they should have them, otherwise they'll become helpless victims.

rhutch

MacombMonitor said:
I would hope so, but I'm not familiar with Canada's Border Patrol. Considering Border Patrol has to deal with the threat of terrorist these days, I would think they should have them, otherwise they'll become helpless victims.
What does Canada's border patrol have to do with this? No Canada Customs does not carry. As for the US agents I've heard they were both ATF agnets and US Border agent, I don't know if they were carrying.

AS for saying Canadians, actually they are natives and some at the protest are from the US first nations, so who knows who did it.

MacombMonitor

rhutch said:
What does Canada's border patrol have to do with this? No Canada Customs does not carry. As for the US agents I've heard they were both ATF agnets and US Border agent, I don't know if they were carrying.

AS for saying Canadians, actually they are natives and some at the protest are from the US first nations, so who knows who did it.
Because it occurred within Canada, I don't know if Canadian Border Patrol agents carry weapons. Knowing Canada's attitude on weapons, I wouldn't be surprised if the U.S. agents were not allowed to carry their weapons in Canada.

I wasn't implying the perps were Canadian.

rhutch

It's just Caledonia is nowhere near the Border and Canada Customs (Federal agency) has nothing to do with the situation there, it's in the hands of the Province. I guess your guys were here for a lesson on how not to handle this stype of situation. It makes me laught that the OPP would even think of bringing another foreign agency here to see how terrible of a job they are doing.

By the way we are allowed to have weapons in Canada, we just have to have a licence, and register them (hopefully soon we will just have to register handguns). Our police have weapons ormilitary has weapons and the citizens have weapons (per capita we have almost as many guns as the US). We don't live in igloos, and don't all speak french either :)

MacombMonitor

rhutch said:
By the way we are allowed to have weapons in Canada, we just have to have a licence, and register them (hopefully soon we will just have to register handguns). Our police have weapons ormilitary has weapons and the citizens have weapons (per capita we have almost as many guns as the US). We don't live in igloos, and don't all speak french either :)
Too funny! I own handguns, and have a permit to carry them concealed in the U.S., but I don't dare take any across the border, even if they are unloaded, in a locked box, and in the locked trunk of the car...still illegal. I don't know if U.S. law enforcement types are handled differently in Canada, or if they are allowed to carry.

seamusg

MacombMonitor said:
Too funny! I own handguns, and have a permit to carry them concealed in the U.S., but I don't dare take any across the border, even if they are unloaded, in a locked box, and in the locked trunk of the car...still illegal. I don't know if U.S. law enforcement types are handled differently in Canada, or if they are allowed to carry.
I know an off duty DPD cannot carry a gun into Windsor.

rhutch

MacombMonitor said:
Like wise I don't dare take mine to the US with-out an ATF form 7, which is a pain as well. I even avoid flying through the US incase the plane should have to land unexpectedly in the US because the US will through my butt in jail even though I never intended to land in the US. The best part is the ATF will not even give you a form 7 to transit the US, so there is no legal way to do it. As an American you can get an ATT (authorization to transport) in Canada as well you just need a reason ie. invite to a competition or hunting (contact the cfc and pay $20). You can not carry concealed or open in Canada, for that I am jealous, I would love to have CCW here but.....

rhutch

seamusg said:
I know an off duty DPD cannot carry a gun into Windsor.
Why would he be able to? It's another country, I guarentee an off duty Windsor cop couldn't carry in Detroit either. I know the border is a joke and I soon as just get rid of it but soverign nations usually enforce there own laws. Off duty cops in Canada don't carry either.

When law enforcement officers are here on official capacity they usually are allowed to carry. As for the ones at Caledonia, couldn't tell you, they may have been here on official business or up for courses or conferences, just don't know.

STiMULi

rhutch said:
I know the border is a joke and I soon as just get rid of it but soverign nations usually enforce there own laws.
I like my border. I wished it were better protected. I served on the East German / West German Border.

Now that was a border.

They did not have 1000's of people chasing border crossers.

Land Mines, Anti personel mines. Machine guns and threats of international events stopped that sh... stuff.

rhutch

Whatever tough guy? I wish we had one like that too, a lot of those Americas Most Wanted guys seem to end up here. Along with all the illegal unregistered hand guns that our little slim gang bangers like to use.

STiMULi

If I were Canadian and in your position I would probably have an attitude too.

If we are on opposite ends of the spectrum and I am the ""Tough guy", well that makes you a...

Naw, it is better left unsaid...

jellotor

seamusg said:
Were they allowed to have guns?
NO. American law enforcement can certainly visit Canada as observers when invited (and this is what happened in this case) but from what I remember from my classes in college, American law enforcement cannot carry firearms in Canada nor do they have the same powers as Canadian law enforcement. It has to do with this small but important issue of Canadian sovereignty.

Now I ask you this: do any of us who understand what has been going on in Caledonia believe the OPP line that the ATF were in the area to 'observe how the OPP have been handling the situation?' I do not.

Where do you go to buy cheap cigarrettes in Southern Ontario? Six Nations. What does ATF stand for? Alcohol, tobacco and firearms. Hmmm...I wonder who they were 'observing.'

EJB

STiMULi said:
If I were Canadian and in your position I would probably have an attitude too.

If we are on opposite ends of the spectrum and I am the ""Tough guy", well that makes you a...

Naw, it is better left unsaid...
No, why do you say it?
You're a tough guy? why? Cause you like guns?
There are many theories as to why men like guns so much. Figure out what it is.

You americans, every time there is a issue with canadians on this site:
1) There is always something said that sound ludicris (sp?, lol) to us up here, like one member on here advocating blowing people away. You have no idea what life is like up here, you have no idea what are laws are, why do you comment then? You have no interest in canada, hell we are right next door and you know absolutely nothing about us, nothing. Do you know that we are your main trading partner that is not putting your economy into the tank. Do you know that you are not running a defecit with us on trade, unlike China. This is part of the reason why, in the NAFTA agreement that you forced down North Americas throat (but judging by the softwood lumber fiasco, you only follow what it benefits you)
we were supposed to have seamless borders, to allow unhindered trade. Blame Bush's one-term daddy for that one and Clinton.
2) There is always someone on here that gets their back up when defending canada. Who gives a rats ass if Americans make comments. They, for the most part have no idea of any way of life outside their own. Why do we get our backs up when someone makes a comment. Why are we surprised?
Let them say thier speil and move on with it.

The moderators here should change the name of the tavern to
'increasing post count *****ing and moan about....'

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.