Canadians unable to purchase new Uniden scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerH11

Canada sucks because I bought an AOR8000 and it was like $800 years ago. I'm talking in the 90's.

"We here in the US have the advantage of living in a free country."

LMAO! I guess Hitler was right when he said repeat a lie often enough people will start to believe it.

VE6E0

Interesting thread.

Maybe the price is higher in Canada than in the States because of the following:
i) One distributor compared to the States where Uniden seems to open any retailer as an account. If Lectron is selling the product to the dealer at the US MRSP, then what margin is in for the Canadian retailer?
ii) What is an acceptable gross margin to sell at?
iii) The cost of business in Canada might be higher, because of higher tax structure to support the various social programs the government provides. Then there are the fixed costs to be covered by a business, such as insurance, utility bills, etc. Just look at the Ontario manufacturing sector, such as the car assembly plants and when $CAD=$USD and how investment flows to the States. Since the inputs into the plants are the same (parts/labour productive is the same), why does the US plant have the advantage???

Cheers to all

bigcam406

Has anyone asked them why they're charging 125% of MSRP? Even with the exchange rate and duties, that's a bit much.

because they are trying to make the most dollars before the boom drops out here in the GTA next year(ENCRYPTION for Toronto,Durham and York).after that,who wants to pay that amount just to listen to Fleetnet?

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
because they are trying to make the most dollars before the boom drops out here in the GTA next year(ENCRYPTION for Toronto,Durham and York).after that,who wants to pay that amount just to listen to Fleetnet?

It's very doubtful that's their reason, because they have been charging insane amounts since the days of the BCD396T.

bigcam406

Durham Radio is also selling the BCD436HP for $619.95 .
They are taking pre- orders.

they will also make you fill out an Industry Canada app for a digital license before they sell it to you.they told me Industry Canada pops in quite often to see their records for digital scanner sales.im just relaying what they told me numerous times.

Jay911

Feed Provider
they will also make you fill out an Industry Canada app for a digital license before they sell it to you.they told me Industry Canada pops in quite often to see their records for digital scanner sales.im just relaying what they told me numerous times.

Please don't spread the digital license BS.. No such thing exists.

bigcam406

im not "spreading" nonsense,im relaying my experiences at that locale pertaining to the purchase of digital scanners.and if it is nonsense,why does Uniden have the disclaimer written on the back of the new scanners? it may be a law,but not enforced,that sound better?

Jay911

Feed Provider
it may be a law,but not enforced,that sound better?

Nope, it's not a law. Read the thread linked in post #17 (and #13 and #12, when you last brought this up). Uniden puts that there presumably to cover their behind. No lawyer is going to tell them to not worry about it. But no such law exists, as described (beaten to death years ago) in the other thread. Whoever keeps perpetuating this at Radioworld is misinformed.

Last edited:

smason

I wonder if there was some change in Universal's practices recently. I've purchased radio gear from them before, but "lately" (since the release of the HP1) I h

I have purchased a ton of stuff from Universal (none recently) this is disappointing for sure.

Jay911

Feed Provider
I don't care who it is - Radioworld, Durham, Lectron, some guy in a white panel van - they are wrong. Read the thread. That's my last comment on the subject.

kirk23

Pierrefonds (West Island Montreal) Qc Canada
I don't care who it is - Radioworld, Durham, Lectron, some guy in a white panel van - they are wrong. Read the thread. That's my last comment on the subject.

Durham pulled that same crap on me a few yrs ago when I wanted my 396xt.. and wanted to charge me a ridiculous shipping charge because I am in Montreal. . On top of an inflated cost for the radio...
I ended up meeting up with TORONTOKRIS on a trip thru the GTA and bought my 396xt as well as a 996xt and saved over $200 on each radio compared to durhams pricing. I I would highly recommend if you are in the GTA area or will be visiting Toronto. .contact him to buy your new scanners..nobody will beat his pricing or his customer service.

And most important.. why not give the business to someone that is a member of this site and is always there to answer our questions and offer us help here when we ask for it..

That's my 2 cents..

Last edited:

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
Load of CRAP!

296, 996, PSR600, 396 from RadioWorld, Durham, and TorontoKris.

Nobody ever said one peep about any such mythical license. It's as real as Unicorns.

Attachments

• Beating-a-dead-horse.gif
    Beating-a-dead-horse.gif
    18.7 KB · Views: 787

bigcam406

lol,i guess it was an illusion then the last 3 times I went and bought digital scanners from Durham Radio and had to fill out the Industry Canada forms or they wouldn't sell them to me.like I said earlier,im relaying MY experiences when purchasing these radios.that is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.