Canadians unable to purchase new Uniden scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

VE6E0

Guys:

I think we should all should take bigcam at his word. It is after all his experience in dealing with Duham Radio, and probably as a walk in customer, as opposed to mail order.

That being said, I have never been asked to fill out a form when I purchased a digital scanner.

Now, what may of happened in Durham's case, an inspector from Toronto district office of IC went in, and read them the riot act in regards to the regulations at the time, therefore management is covering their backside. At one time IC wanted the dealers to see an amateur license before selling 2m radios, to try to curb their use on resources roads, but when IC was asked about how the enforcement would be managed, their was a collective shrug of the shoulders.

Cheers

jkahn

Very good looking Member
Premium Subscriber
Has anyone asked them why they're charging 125% of MSRP? Even with the exchange rate and duties, that's a bit much.

That's obvious.......Because they can!

It doesn't mean you have to buy from them..

JK :)

scnnr

just a license for digital.if you look at the back on the new 536,it states Canadian buyers must obtain a license to use it.but ive heard a few places don't enforce it when buying one,but my local shop does.

Oh my God lets not start with this license BS again.

scnnr

they will also make you fill out an Industry Canada app for a digital license before they sell it to you.they told me Industry Canada pops in quite often to see their records for digital scanner sales.im just relaying what they told me numerous times.

I remember reading about that on here before. Wonder how much business they lost due to that attitude.

I agree with other posters to try Scanner Master. :)

vindictive42

Premium Subscriber
well if a so called license is required.....I must be running illegal because I have a bcd396xt and a homepatrol and when I brought them across the canadian border (who I deal with on a regular basis because of my job) they didnt say nothing. Also checked IC and they said NO and let me repeat it NO LICENSE IS REQUIRED FOR DIGITAL SCANNERS PERIOD!!!!! they said it was a rumor and it comes around every time a new scanner comes out. It is a way the retailer trys to scare you in getting more $$$$$ from you.

SCPD

QRT
Do you have a link for IC page?

Best I could find is the following:
RSS-135 — Digital Scanner Receivers - Spectrum Management and Telecommunications

Pay particular attention to section 2.1 and the reference to licensing required. Unless there is another RSS that supercedes this one.

Now, if IC is enforcing it or not, that is their choice, but the wording of this circular seems clear cut.

Cheers
Oh please, the legality of digital scanners in Canada has been beaten to death in other forums... Over and over again, Enough already! Stop the madness......

VE6E0

The point is mute anyhow, since a large majority on scanner listeners use it for listening to public safety agencies, and we are know what past history has shown towards how technology been going in terms of encryption. Would hazard a guess, scanner sales have been lower on a year to year basis.

Cheers

Sbee

Premium Subscriber
It's not the scanner manufacturers or the sellers, it's your government. We here in the US have the advantage of living in a free country.

Really !! The Canadian government doesn't eavesdrop on emails and phone calls, Doesn't make you have to sell belongings off to pay hospital bill if you get sick.....Puts safety measures in place to prevent financial crisis and real estate crashes so family's don’t get thrown out of there houses and yes are allowed to have fully open scanners.

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Gentlemen, let's keep this discussion on topic. This is not a thread for debating the merits of government.

Thanks.

savage308

when i was looking to buy a psr-500, durham told me that no license was required, i even phoned canada customs and gave the agent the make and modelof scanner it was importable with no stipulations of a license,,,,,

scnnr

when i was looking to buy a psr-500, durham told me that no license was required, i even phoned canada customs and gave the agent the make and modelof scanner it was importable with no stipulations of a license,,,,,

I bought my PSR-500 digital scanner and PSR-300 scanner from Lectron Radio Sales Ltd, Peterborough, ON years ago with no problems at all.

02blackss

Premium Subscriber
I bought my 996XT and my 396XT from durham radio about a year ago....I ordered online mind you, but absolutely no problems....

Jason

bigcam406

I was in Durham Radio over the weekend to grab a few things and I asked them if they still enforce the Industry Canada application when selling the digital scanners over the counter and they said yes.the owner told me that even though there is a law about owning digital scanners,he said it was an old law that that they don't really enforce anymore.he did say that Industry Canada reps do come in quite often to check their records though.

lep

Really !! The Canadian government doesn't eavesdrop on emails and phone calls,.

Ever hear of CSIS? I have several good friends who are employed by CSIS who are radio engineers by profession and sometimes read these forums. They will not doubt be amused by this discussion if they happen to see it. I admit it has been a very long time since I have had any connection with this type of work but I have not heard even a rumor that long standing agreements between the English speaking nations have been abandoned.

savage308

5 years ago our local pd went digital i was looking at getting a scanner the 2 places here in town told me at the time one price was $1.100.00, & $1.300.00 , one said a license was required & the other said none was not , needless to say i didnt pay their prices nor half of that , and got one with no issues from the us,

Status
Not open for further replies.