Canadians unable to purchase new Uniden scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

vindictive42

Premium Subscriber
I wrote Universal Radio and want to pre-order a BCD436HP when it comes out. This is what I wrote

" But, the problem I am having is that no US retailer will let me pre-order. I am located + -30 miles from US Border and usually have items sent to Grand Portage MN or I can just have it sent to my home address in Canada. I have been dealing with US retailers for over 20 years and never had a problem. Will universal radio let me pre-order one?"

This is the answer I received from them

"Sorry, but we are unable to send scanners to Canada. I believe most of the USA radio dealers are blocked from doing so by the dealer agreements with the scanner makers. "

What sort of garbage is this when my Canadian money is no good in the USA?
Does Uniden not want our money? My money seems to be good in the rest of the world.
I might wait now and see if I can get a GRE PSR-800 from another country since uniden doesnt want our canadain dollar.

Please Explain why My Canadian Dollar is good in Europe, China, Japan, Africa, Austrailia and the rest of the world but not in USA.

Boatanchor

I wrote Universal Radio and want to pre-order a BCD436HP when it comes out. This is what I wrote

" But, the problem I am having is that no US retailer will let me pre-order. I am located + -30 miles from US Border and usually have items sent to Grand Portage MN or I can just have it sent to my home address in Canada. I have been dealing with US retailers for over 20 years and never had a problem. Will universal radio let me pre-order one?"

This is the answer I received from them

"Sorry, but we are unable to send scanners to Canada. I believe most of the USA radio dealers are blocked from doing so by the dealer agreements with the scanner makers. "

What sort of garbage is this when my Canadian money is no good in the USA?
Does Uniden not want our money? My money seems to be good in the rest of the world.
I might wait now and see if I can get a GRE PSR-800 from another country since uniden doesnt want our canadain dollar.

Please Explain why My Canadian Dollar is good in Europe, China, Japan, Africa, Austrailia and the rest of the world but not in USA.

Interesting..

Sounds like Uniden are trying to introduce a little protectionism on these new products to ensure that only Canadian dealers are able fleece the Canadian market. Wonder if additional security patrols will be checking for people trying to smuggle x36HP scanners across the border :)

Bizarre!

bigcam406

i ran into this scenerio a few years ago when i wanted to purchase a PSR600 from my local shop.apparently,if Industry Canada hasnt approved the scanner,you cant purchase it or buy it from the US and bring it over the border.only then when it is approved for sale,you must then obtain a license for owning a digital scanner.i know,its a bunch of bunk,but im only relaying what i went through.there might be a shop in the US that will turn a blind eye to the sale to a Canadian,but more than likely it wont get over the border.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
i ran into this scenario a few years ago when i wanted to purchase a PSR600 from my local shop. apparently, if Industry Canada hasn't approved the scanner,you cant purchase it or buy it from the US and bring it over the border. only then when it is approved for sale, you must then obtain a license for owning a digital scanner. i know,its a bunch of bunk, but im only relaying what i went through. there might be a shop in the US that will turn a blind eye to the sale to a Canadian, but more than likely it wont get over the border.

I guess I'm curious...do you need a license just for digital scanners, or is it for all scanners, analog and digital?

bigcam406

just a license for digital.if you look at the back on the new 536,it states Canadian buyers must obtain a license to use it.but ive heard a few places don't enforce it when buying one,but my local shop does.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Uniden Corporation exports to a single Canadian distributor. This product is legally imported into Canada (including paying any duties due for the product). That said, we do not control the geographic distribution of our product by our other distributors. if a US dealer chooses not to export to Canada, that is their policy, not Uniden's. Many dealers are understandably not set up for doing product exports, and a few have been "burned" by having product confiscated by customs when shipped w/o proper customs declaration and duties paid.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I wonder if there was some change in Universal's practices recently. I've purchased radio gear from them before, but "lately" (since the release of the HP1) I have made most of my actual radio purchases from Scanner Master, with no problems. Recently, Universal was the only one I could locate with a certain ham antenna I needed for my new vehicle; when I tried to order it from them, they told me they could sell me the mount, but would not export the antenna itself to Canada.

I second the sentiment to buy from Scanner Master for Canadians. They'll sell you the radio, and even with the brokerage fees/exchange rate/etc, you will not pay even close to what the Canadian retailers are asking.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
just a license for digital.if you look at the back on the new 536,it states Canadian buyers must obtain a license to use it.but ive heard a few places don't enforce it when buying one,but my local shop does.

It's an old rule that was never enforced. If you are a ham radio operator then this license qualifies.

http://forums.radioreference.com/ea...es/153309-sticky-digital-scanner-license.html

Thanks for all the information. I appreciate it. My curiosity has been satisfied. LOL! :D

:)

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
I should be carrying the new BCD436HP and BCD536HP scanner, will PM you.

Or try Scanner Master never had a problem with them shipping to me/Canada in the past. Just remember its 13% HST at the border... plus shipping.

Radioworld price looks like its going to be $625 + HST (436) and $720 + HST (536).. according to thier website.

Status
Not open for further replies.