Canarias HF aero freqs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

selcalweb

Hi.

Do any of you know where Canarias hide out through the night and mornings for the Brazil to Europe flights?

The frequency listing sites are very out of date but I know they use 8861 through the afternoons as I hear them regularly from a Spanish SDR site. The flights are only on HF for around 50 miles from the FIR boundary with Sal heading north and then they become in range of Canarias VHF.

I tried 8861 this morning whilst monitoring flightradar24 as they crossed the FIR into Canarias but nothing was heard. Also tried 6535 and 5565 but only Dakar heard then and I don't think Canarias uses either of those.

In years gone by (over a decade) Canarias could be found on 5598 but I think they moved from there at some point.

Whilst trying to find them I did stumble upon Cayenne on 5526 working a Lan Peru flight to Barcelona from Lima which was a first for me.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You didn't mention anything about what sites you looked at, but this list is only about a year old, and is very comprehensive - likely as not there have only been a few changes since...

The Btown Monitoring Post: Civilian Aero/Military HF Frequency List - Update 11 Aug 2017

Of course the best place to go to answer this question, if no one answers here, is the UDXF group on groups.io, which specializes in utility stuff like this

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
We have these freqs (from our wiki) for the NAT-E family, which is one of the families that the Canarias site belongs (NY and Santa Maria are also here, I think...)

2962 6628 8825 11309 13354 17952 21964

However these freqs are listed as unguarded during off peak times.

Mike

selcalweb

Thanks. I actually found the answer myself. Santa Maria at 0200z today advised an Iberia that was passing through Canarias to call on 8861 primary and 6535 secondary. An odd set at that time of the night but there we go.

Btw Canarias has never been part of NAT-E. NAT-E is only Santa Maria and New York. Canarias WAS under NAT-A in the very distant past but that's over a decade ago now.

I note in the list linked there is no mention of Cayenne on 5526, Singapore 6556, San Francisco 8870, Kolkata 8861, Port Blair 8861 and many others so I'd say it's pretty outdated. No mention of any of the Indonesia freqs either, 8882, 8918, 8957.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Not outdated, just incomplete. You can send a note to Larry to have what you have added to the list.

I'll fix the wiki page re the NAT-E family. Thanks for the notes

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
That ICAO document is over 8 years old. I'm sure things have changed since then. Nevertheless thanks for the links...Mike

K6PCW

Premium Subscriber
Yup. Unfortunately, a search of ICAO's web resources yielded nothing more recent. Perhaps someone in the aviation industry with current "stuff" will help out.

I need to go rearrange my sock drawer.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Thanks. I actually found the answer myself. Santa Maria at 0200z today advised an Iberia that was passing through Canarias to call on 8861 primary and 6535 secondary. An odd set at that time of the night but there we go.

Btw Canarias has never been part of NAT-E. NAT-E is only Santa Maria and New York. Canarias WAS under NAT-A in the very distant past but that's over a decade ago now.

I note in the list linked there is no mention of Cayenne on 5526, Singapore 6556, San Francisco 8870, Kolkata 8861, Port Blair 8861 and many others so I'd say it's pretty outdated. No mention of any of the Indonesia freqs either, 8882, 8918, 8957.

If you are a member of the UDXF - and you should be if you're into utilities - publishing a complete list of all the missing sites would be greatly appreciated by others, and Larry will definitely see them.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.