cannot reicieve data channel for troop C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cassidy1190

Just curoius is there anyone else who found they couldnt get the data siganl in belmar, monmouth county? I should since the holmdel tower is only 14 air miles away, but I cant get it at all, in fact i cant recieve any of the NJSP data channels here. I can pick up other trunked systems like Jersey central power and light though. I know its not the scanner, does anyone know if Im in a fringe area or is it my antenna or where my scanner is located. Im using the stock antenna and I have my scanner on the very top floor of the house, which used to be an attic. Just wanna know what my problem is and If theres anything i can do about it.

Arkmood

cassidy1190 said:
I can pick up other trunked systems like Jersey central power and light though. I know its not the scanner, does anyone know if Im in a fringe

NJSP signals are notoriously weak and noisy. A pro 2052 has poor sensitivity at 800mhz. If you are operating in a fringe area that could be your problem...

bigreddawg76

Premium Subscriber
I am 5 miles from the Bass River tower and can't get the control channel half the time. Great state system!

Arkmood

cassidy1190 said:
Im looking at antennas for trying to monitor state police with (...)
What do you guys use?

I've found antenna placement to be a much more important consideration than antenna types in attempts to receive NJSP comms. To locate an area where the signals are not nulled out, and can be received without noise should be a major concern. One can use the data channel as a tuning aid. Moving your scanner/antenna to different locations can at times make a remarkable difference. I'm currenty using a Max 800 Ground Plane as a base antenna carefully placed in an attic with RG8 coax, a known sensitive 800 mhz trunktracker (Pro 95) also a 20 db low noise preamp. Take any one of those variables out of the equation and C Troop sinks back down into the noise level. My receiving station is located 7 air miles from the Dover Township site.

cassidy1190

Well hears my succes story... I got a nice discone antenna from radio shack and it works great not only can I recieve my local stuff better but I am currently trunking troop C! I also programmed troop A south into the scanner and I was getting crystal clear reception last night (even better than C), but now I cant hear it at all why is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.