Can't find a Sticky here on taking pictures...

I can remember seeing a Sticky here, or I thought it was a Sticky, about the many different settings and features and how they're used on a camera.

It talks about aperture, lighting, lenses, different settings, etc.... Just about everything a beginner would like to know/learn about when getting into photography/picture taking.

Can someone direct me to that Sticky or Thread please? I know it's on this site somewhere but I've scrolled through all the way back to 2011 and didn't see it.

Thanks,
Steve

I wish it was that easy, years ago I had a 35 mm SLR and I had worked out with 50 mm lens slowest speed I could hand hold was 1/30 second, if I wedged myself against some thing I could reduce it to 1/15 second. Normal film was 100 ASA (now called ISO) fast film 400 or 600 ASA, and you could see the grain, and a f2 lens was reasonably good at blurring back ground.

Today the SLR days are numbered to start with, remove the mirror and lens becomes smaller, and so cheaper, but the sensor does not have to be fixed like the film was, so the cameras have rather good anti shake systems, allowing speeds half those of past, and the ISO can go to silly limits, with rather good quality pictures still being possible at 800 ISO and the cut down sensor size means blurring is not as it was.

Software with stacking and HDR means taking a series of pictures and combining latter has also changed the game.

So to focus, adjust zoom, set speed, set aperture, select ISO and frame your picture is too much to do hand held, so we are forced to leave some functions to the camera. So you need to select which to let camera set, and this varies camera to camera, the new Sony cameras have such a sensitive sensor you can select both speed and aperture and let camera set the ISO, however my old DSLR with a CCD sensor needs a lot more care.

My Nikon has built in options for sport, landscape snow etc. And with the Nikon I can leave tripod at home, but old Pentax (not make it's the age, most cameras use Sony sensors anyway today) tripod was an essential tool.

Theory says to get a good depth of field use a small aperture, but a small aperture can show up every grain of dust on sensor. So I rarely go smaller than f8, with a 28 mm lens and cut down sensor you can drop to 1/15 second however if anything is moving then safer to aim for 1/250 second, and as you zoom in so the speed needs to increase.

Water is an odd one, either you want it to sparkle so very high speed over 1/1000 second or milky so tripod and 3 or 4 seconds. And moving items some times freezing the motion is not what we want, we want the motor bike wheels to blur same with back ground, it shows speed, but want the rider sharp, scanning is an art, and you have to learn your own limitations and select a speed you can handle.

To really freeze motion then use a flash gun, try a flash photo of the shower at home with room light off, and see the result, no camera shutter could expose for 1/22,000 second like a flash gun can.

In the main flash guns have to be used with camera set to a slow speed, but there are special high speed flash guns which send out a burst of flashes, so with those you can use 1/1000 second, instead of 1/185 second or what ever your camera has as maximum shutter speed, before one shutter starts to close before the other has fully opened.

Now a compact may actually work better with a flash to a DSLR, and some cameras don't use a shutter, like ones built into phones.