Can't hear Olds Fire Dept. anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

beeperboy

Reception of 66 via the Red Deer 2 site has also been 100% reliable. RD911 is their dispatch and they're definitely using an RF radio (RID 9990) to handle comms to/from agencies on that talkgroup.

When SolGen first started to roll out the system, they stated that nobody was to dispatch via radio. They were instructed to use the ROIP network interface. Has that directive changed?

Mars_P25

Paid RR Supporter
Banned
When SolGen first started to roll out the system, they stated that nobody was to dispatch via radio. They were instructed to use the ROIP network interface. Has that directive changed?
Sorry, no idea. I don't work in the industry any longer.

Mars_P25

Paid RR Supporter
Banned
Since my original post not sure what may have changed in the scanning world but what is the best handheld scanner is not going to break the bank to get that I can pick up the fire department.
Any scanner capable of P25 Phase I 700 MHz will work. Even a 14-year-old BCD396T portable. You might also look at the Radio Shack PRO-106 and PRO-197 models. They are clones of the GRE PSR500 and PSR600 scanners. These are 2008~ vintage and work just fine. They also have RX AGC (for audio) so the crappy dispatcher audio that's set up with linear gain instead of AGC (Bearcom!) doesn't blow your speaker apart.

Before purchasing, just make sure you are within actual listening range of the tower the agency is using. Not all talkgroups are broadcast on all towers -- only when a user on the talkgroup is "affiliated" with the site. For me, the reason I can listen to Mountain View Co. from north of Red Deer is because the dispatcher's radio is sitting on the Red Deer 2 site. Otherwise, I'd be SOL.

Maybe one of the fellas on here lives closer to you and can help you check some things, before you make the investment. You should be fine, but I'd hate to see you waste cash and be disappointed.

Mars_P25

Paid RR Supporter
Banned
Hey wheels-2019, not sure if you have access to the messaging function yet (new user), but I sent you something last week about a digital scanner you may be interested in. If you can't see my message, please send me an email. mars_p25 at p25.ca. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.