Can't stream either feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

WebsterEMA

Hello. I hope I'm posting this in the correct forum. If not, please let me know.

I have 2 feeds I'm trying to stream. They worked months ago, then suddenly stopped. I THINK all my firewall and router information is the same. I can't find any problems there, but I would be more than happy to learn I'm wrong. I've tried streaming with both Scannercast and Radiofeed.

In Scannercast I click Login to RR and Get Config and I get an error message
Radio Reference Auto-Config Error:
Error accessing RR
The request failed with HTTP status 417: Expectation failed.

In RadioFeed I click Broadcastify Auto Configure and it shows my feeds when I click connect. But when I click Set, it just keeps saying "Source client unable to connect to a broadcastify server"

I would appreciate any help or advice you can give to get my two feeds working. Thank you.

WebsterEMA

I'm not sure. They were cancelled, and I've gotten them reactivated though. They just need me to connect and stream.

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
Are you able to ping the servers that are hosting your feeds?

Have you tried disabling your firewall?

Are you trying to stream through a proxy server?

Last edited:

WebsterEMA

Are you able to ping the servers that are hosting your feeds?

Have you tried disabling your firewall?

Are you trying to stream through a proxy server?

I am able to ping.

I can't actually disable it, the firewall is also my router/dhcp server. It doesn't have a feature to completely disable the firewall aspect. I do have it set to (supposedly) allow all traffic out that's originating from the IP address of the computer broadcasting the feed. I might be able to bypass the box and hook it directly to the modem.. I guess that'll be the next thing to try. But the Radiofeed software DOES communicate with the servers. It gets the feed information just fine. It just can't connect and actually broadcast.

And no, no proxy server.

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
Try bypassing the router by plugging the streaming computer directly into the modem and see what happens.

The 417 error code means your computer has sent an HTTP header with an expected response that the remote server cannot provide.

Last edited:

WebsterEMA

I was hesitant to bypass my router just because of the work involved, but came in today figuring it had to be done for troubleshooting. Then I realized I could just hook the computer up to my cellphone in hot spot mode and see if it worked.

It did. So, then I figured I still needed to bypass my router, just to make sure it wasn't the internet connection itself, but found out the modem has built in wifi we just don't use because we need the better abilities of our firewall/router. Connecting the computer to the modem wifi, it was able to stream. So, I'm not sure WHAT is going on with the firewall, because I haven't changed anything with it. But obviously it is the problem.

Any generic advice for what on my firewall might've changed? We're using Smoothwall Express 3.0 if that helps. Until I can figure out the problem, I'm going to try and connect to the modem's wifi and just stream through it.

Thanks for all the help.

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
Any generic advice for what on my firewall might've changed? We're using Smoothwall Express 3.0 if that helps.

Smoothwall Express is for Linux, right? I'm far from a Linux expert, but has your Linux distribution been updated or patched in the interim?

The HTTP 417 response typically is the result of the computer sending the HTTP 1.1 "Expect" header in a POST and the receiving server not being able to satisfy the expectation. It kinda sounds as if your firewall is only capable of handling HTTP 1.0 headers. Given that Smoothwall Express 3.0 has a fair amount of age on it, you may want to upgrade to version 3.1 and see if that addresses the problem.

You could also perform a packet capture and analysis to see what's being sent to the firewall and see the actual response.

WebsterEMA

No patches or anything. It's just the Smoothwall software, no underlying OS. As for updating Smoothwall, I'd like to. I just have to find a working floppy disk. That's the only way to actually upgrade your firewall, instead of just installing a new one clean with Smoothwall. I'd REALLY like to get an actual commercial firewall, but we're a very small organization, and our budget is pretty well non-existent.

It's the same Smoothwall we've always had, and were streaming fine, so I can't imagine it suddenly stopped being able to do HTTP 1.0. Unless it always couldn't, and for some reason worked anyways.

I'll see if I can figure out the packet capture and analysis thing, and step up my floppy hunt to upgrade. Either way, it's working for now through the WiFi from the modem. I appreciate the advice and help.

Status
Not open for further replies.