Frequency 2 Slot 1 = LCN 3

...etc.

CanesFan95

Frequency 1 Slot 1 = LCN 1
Frequency 1 Slot 2 = LCN 2
Frequency 2 Slot 1 = LCN 3

...etc.

:eek: :mad: :cry:

Noooooooo, dangit! That's exactly wrong. :poop: This is exactly what this thread was trying to clear up, and that's exactly the wrong thing. I think this opens up a can of worms, because it is easy to get this confused and people may accidentally submit bad information to the database. And if even the admins could make a mistake (honest human error), then you have to wonder if the database could be full of errors all over.

Do the admins periodically go through the whole database and do cleanups of obvious inconsistencies? I suspect so, because of certain changes I've seen at times that don't look like they came from actual user submissions (although there's evidently no way to tell exactly what was changed in the Change History). I believe the database went through some transitions a while back and the LSN thing was added in addition to having the LCNs. That addition may have been well-intended, but I think it may have also added some confusion. With DSD+, I've always used the Event Log (and not the Channel Activity window) to figure out LCNs. Does there even need to be an LSN column? I would be concerned that a lot of scanners out there could unknowingly be getting programmed wrong (mainly Unidens), especially by those with premium subscriptions. You could have a lot of users out there wondering why their Uniden scanners aren't working right (although I've always had reservations about Uniden scanners supposedly doing proper trunk following versus Whistlers).

I have gone ahead and submitted corrections to both systems.

kma371

QRT
We use LCN for database edits. LSN is then created automatically in the tables from that info.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Do the admins periodically go through the whole database and do cleanups of obvious inconsistencies?
There are hundreds of thousands of entries in the database when you include every trunked site and talkgroup, in addition to the conventional listings. It would take countless hours for the relatively small team of admins to go through the entire database just once, much less "periodically". So no, we don't because it's completely impractical. What you will get are admins who will keep an eye on the most popular counties, agencies, and trunked systems simply because they are frequent topics of discussion or change. I'm sure some admins from time to time try to do a 'sweep' through their state's systems or listings, but practically speaking it would be nearly impossible to spot every issue or inconsistency. Remember, we are volunteers who often cover entire states or more, which is why we rely on locals like you making submissions to get stuff fixed.

I suspect so, because of certain changes I've seen at times that don't look like they came from actual user submissions (although there's evidently no way to tell exactly what was changed in the Change History).
The Change History is not tied to the submissions in any way, shape, or form. You as an end-user of the database would have absolutely no way to know what changes came from a user submission, vs changes that the dbadmin made on their own accord, or from other sources such as posts in the forums.

Does there even need to be an LSN column?
As long as the dbadmins and users understand the difference between LCN and LSN as used in the RRDB, I see no issue with them being displayed. Keep in mind that the LSN values are only displayed on the Site Details page, not on the main page of the trunked system itself. In other words, you have to look for them to find them; most people simply look at the main system page and see the LCNs and frequencies, and work from there. Frankly, I think it helps having the LSN listed on the Site Details page, as it allows for a direct comparison with what someone is seeing in the DSD+ Channel Activity window. You may not have noticed the issue with the systems near you if you hadn't seen the incorrect LSN values in the RRDB.

I would be concerned that a lot of scanners out there could unknowingly be getting programmed wrong (mainly Unidens), especially by those with premium subscriptions. You could have a lot of users out there wondering why their Uniden scanners aren't working right (although I've always had reservations about Uniden scanners supposedly doing proper trunk following versus Whistlers).
If they have a premium subscription, the chances are good that they're downloading the system via software, in which case the software will grab the correct LCN, not the LSN. So that's not an issue. If they're creating a system manually either in software or directly in the scanner, then it's up to them to understand the difference between LCN and LSN. Again, as stated above, the LCN and frequency relationship is pretty clear when looking at the main system page.

D

DaveNF2G

That is exactly how the systems are reported and tracked by DSDPlus.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
That is exactly how the systems are reported and tracked by DSDPlus.

Not true. Pay attention to what you typed. You typed LCN. You may have meant LSN, but you typed LCN. Had you typed LSN, it would have made more sense.

LCN 1 = LSN 1 / LSN 2 = Frequency A
LCN 2 = LSN 3 / LSN 4 = Frequency B
LCN 3 = LSN 5 / LSN 6 = Frequency C
LCN 4 = LSN 7 / LSN 8 = Frequency D
LCN 5 = LSN 9 / LSN 10 = Frequency E
...etc

The DSDPlus.frequencies file wants you to specify the LSN <--> frequency pairing. Scanners want the LCN <--> frequency pairing. And apparently DMR radios want LSN (aka ID) <--> frequency pairing.

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
It looks like we are each coming from our area of expertise, where the naming conventions dont line up perfectly. Having a lot of MOTOTRBO experience and a little DSD+, this was confusing until explained in detail above. It is hard to tell me that the definitions of words I use daily are wrong. In my industry, they are accurate. However, the database/RR is looking for the detail in a specific format regardless of if I think their definitions are accurate. TT

D

DaveNF2G

DSDPlus uses Frequency, Slot, and Channel. Lining these up with the "correct" terminology (in quotes because Motorola has its own version of English) would be very helpful.

In DSDPlus:
Frequency = RF frequency
Slot = Slot 1 or 2 on a frequency
Channel = A particular slot on a frequency

So, in DSD+ parlance, a frequency carries two channels. The term "logical [whatever]" is not displayed.

Status
Not open for further replies.