• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Capacity Max

Status
Not open for further replies.

zues2054

Has any one had any experience with Motorola's version of DMR Tier III Capacity Max? I'm looking to add the capabilities to my XPR5550's and XPR7550.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Only experience I've had with it is in talking with a system owner down in Houston. Motorola pretty much provided the controllers and server for 6 sites (it was the first one in the country). I work for a MSS and we can't justify using it for anything…it's just too expensive for what it is when competitors come in at 1/3 the cost.

I believe it's just EID's from what I remember with setting up the radios. Has to be the e model though.

Firebuff880

Thanks for the information

@Zues --- Why would you want to add it to your radio. Do you have a Cap Max system in your area that you will be accessing ? Like Connect Plus and P25 the radio Id and Serial number are registered and must be authorized to the system.

@W5PKY -- Most of what you said here is wrong and miss leading - If you compare a Capacity Plus / Hytera / Tait Tier II against the Cap Max family (Apples against Oranges) you are right it's pricey. The Cap Max is to expensive and due to the Trunking technology may not be deplorable in your area. But if you look at a true Tier III system, with FB-8 Trunking channels and Site Controllers I think you will find that Cap Max is very aggressively priced. Remember this at least initially is for larger wide area systems, and the growth direction for the larger LCP deployments as well as the Carrier Connect Plus systems.

To get a good idea on cost you might look at a Connect Plus the FB-8s are the same, but now instead of every site needing controllers you need one, or in large system maybe two (A redundant backup). And you have many other advantages in the system technology and infrastructure.

Also, all Gen-2 radios are supported on Cap Max not just the new e Models.

========================

Project25_MASTR

Firebuff880 said:

@W5PKY -- Most of what you said here is wrong and miss leading - If you compare a Capacity Plus / Hytera / Tait Tier II against the Cap Max family (Apples against Oranges) you are right it's pricey. The Cap Max is to expensive and due to the Trunking technology may not be deplorable in your area. But if you look at a true Tier III system, with FB-8 Trunking channels and Site Controllers I think you will find that Cap Max is very aggressively priced. Remember this at least initially is for larger wide area systems, and the growth direction for the larger LCP deployments as well as the Carrier Connect Plus systems.

To get a good idea on cost you might look at a Connect Plus the FB-8s are the same, but now instead of every site needing controllers you need one, or in large system maybe two (A redundant backup). And you have many other advantages in the system technology and infrastructure.

Also, all Gen-2 radios are supported on Cap Max not just the new e Models.

========================

I'm not even looking a pseudo-trunking. If you've never looked into Simoco's Tier 3 solution, you may want to email a sales rep. The controller and server are integrated to each and every repeater. Unlike Motorola's solution, any repeater can be the system master and system server. Each site has its own zone controller in that arrangement as well. Pricing, it's comparable to using Linked Capcity Plus with FB8s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zues2054

Firebuff880;
Thanks for the reply, Yes I believe all Gen 2 radios can be CapMax.
I have a Simoco XD repeater that is linked Wide Area on Tier 3 (CapMax) and I'm trying to get an XPR7550 and A XPR5550e programmed on the system. The tech has put a couple of calls into "M" for support but they are not very responsive. Tech is not a Motorola shop. The Tier III concept of open architecture (many manufacturers) is drawing support from a range of dealers who sell competing products. Instead of every dealer building a proprietary system, why not build one that any Tier III radio dealer can sell on? Any idea on help programming?

Firebuff880

So Firmware level for these radios would be very important. I would recommend 2.7 but it must be at least 2.6.

Then I would look at Wayne's Blog --
Motorola obtains DMR Tier 3 IOP - DJ0WH

Finally, when I get a few minutes I will look, but my customers mostly use the advanced (AKA MOTOTRBO) features, so I have not tried to do a basic TIER III code plug before. But I remember someone talking about two or three options that must be set in the code plug -

Sorry, I am not much help with this -

Firebuff880;
Thanks for the reply, Yes I believe all Gen 2 radios can be CapMax.
I have a Simoco XD repeater that is linked Wide Area on Tier 3 (CapMax) and I'm trying to get an XPR7550 and A XPR5550e programmed on the system. The tech has put a couple of calls into "M" for support but they are not very responsive. Tech is not a Motorola shop. The Tier III concept of open architecture (many manufacturers) is drawing support from a range of dealers who sell competing products. Instead of every dealer building a proprietary system, why not build one that any Tier III radio dealer can sell on? Any idea on help programming?

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
From what i am reading, and from what i can understand, Tier III will allow for cross compatibility with P25 and DMR?

Project25_MASTR

From what i am reading, and from what i can understand, Tier III will allow for cross compatibility with P25 and DMR?

Only with the proper gateways. DMR Tier II has a standard "back plane", for lack of a better term, interface defined which is similar to the idea of the P25 ISSI which allows for multiple systems to be interconnected regardless of the vendor. You could use a gateway to bridge the two formats…just matter of cost.

I should also note, many first generation P25 trunking systems were deployed absent of the ISSI gateway (it wasn't a requirement).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zues2054

The XPR5550e that I'm working with has Firmware R02.06.05.002
Has anyone had any experience programming a Motorola to work on a Simoco Tier III system? Or know of anyone that is running a Simoco Tier III system?

Status
Not open for further replies.