Car Dealers Are An Enemy!

I got one for ya Milton. Yesterday I took in my '16 Lexus for a simple oil change.
I detail and care for it myself with my own methods, practices, and my own special sealant glaze (Klasse). I always tell the service writer to NOT put my RX through the "courtesy wash and detail". The last time I was in there I asked the service writer if he could permanently notate this request, he said he'd happily do that. He did not do it. Well yesterday, was the one time I did not say it and guess what they did-mind you, I brought this vehicle in after I had just fully detailed the interior, the exterior, and 1 week before, applied the sealant glaze for the winter.
They took a completely PERFECT vehicle and sent it through their stupid detail department!
What did I get returned to me? Swirl scratches all over the hood, the hatch, and sides. Lint stuck to my fresh coat of leather conditioner inside from their micro fiber rags. And here's the worst; scratch marks all across the plastic window over the gauges.
I'm typing this as the new coat of glaze I just applied-AGAIN, is on the car setting up. I hope this gets rid of the swirls because I don't want them touching my paint. After this, I get to spend the next 3 hours taking it off.
Next Wednesday, they are going to replace the gauge pod lens at their cost.
I do firmly believe those idiots used exterior rags on my interior. Or sandpaper.
All this over a simple little oil change. Which I did not pay for.
My main rant here is this: do they have to be zombies that default to the "courtesy detail" thing, when a car they can see, with their own eyes, IS TOTALLY FRIKKIN SPOTLESS???
And to think they're doing this same thing, with contaminated towels, to folks' cars that they paid over $100k for! Well they can now pay for their stupidity.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Hence why I never wash my cars/trucks. :) If they wash it, it's a plus for me. They never do, so I let the rain wash it for me.

Hence why I never wash my cars/trucks. :) If they wash it, it's a plus for me. They never do, so I let the rain wash it for me.
Good for you I guess. I'm pretty passionate about taking care of my vehicles and pretty much don't get how someone couldn't care less about theirs like you. Just different styles I guess.
Well I got rid of all those swirl marks. Felt good to rant here-better than slamming that dealer where it hurts. They do need to address that detail crew and establish some better standards. I can't be the only one they pissed off.

That’s unacceptable and they have to appease you.
My car is now too old with bad paint so I tell them not to bother with the wash when I take it in.
I love the dealer that I’ve been using for just about all of the 15 years I have had the car but the wash is not my favorite part of it. It would always seem to add 15 minutes to a simple oil change.
They have a few dingbats that seem to have a problem from the time that my car is completed to when I can pay for it and go home.
This is an ongoing issue and it makes me think why the delay?
If it weren’t for the fact that they never gave me a bum steer with service on my car or if there was an issue, they made good on it in short order, I would have gone elsewhere.
I’ve mentioned this to the owner but the same problem seems to keep popping up.
Lack of communication perhaps and throw in 20 something’s at the cashier/reception.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I think mine has to do with when I was growing up, my Dad spent Saturday washing or cars. He had carpet floor mats with clear plastic mats on top of them and then paper mats on top of those. Our feet had to be on the paper at all times and we were not allowed to touch the windows, dash or the door panels. I hated it so much that I grew to hate washing my own vehicles. On my trucks I always delete the carpet when ordering. That does suck about them doing that to your baby. I know my Dad would have a fit of they did that to one of his cars.

That’s unacceptable and they have to appease you.
My car is now too old with bad paint so I tell them not to bother with the wash when I take it in.
I love the dealer that I’ve been using for just about all of the 15 years I have had the car but the wash is not my favorite part of it. It would always seem to add 15 minutes to a simple oil change.
They have a few dingbats that seem to have a problem from the time that my car is completed to when I can pay for it and go home.
This is an ongoing issue and it makes me think why the delay?
If it weren’t for the fact that they never gave me a bum steer with service on my car or if there was an issue, they made good on it in short order, I would have gone elsewhere.
I’ve mentioned this to the owner but the same problem seems to keep popping up.
Lack of communication perhaps and throw in 20 something’s at the cashier/reception.
Yeah that another thing I didn't mention-I was waiting over 2 hours and at about 2hrs 10 minutes I walked out to the service area and the writer spots me and jumps "your car's ready let's get ya going!" I wonder how much longer he'd leave me waiting if I didn't go out there:(
I think mine has to do with when I was growing up, my Dad spent Saturday washing or cars. He had carpet floor mats with clear plastic mats on top of them and then paper mats on top of those. Our feet had to be on the paper at all times and we were not allowed to touch the windows, dash or the door panels. I hated it so much that I grew to hate washing my own vehicles. On my trucks I always delete the carpet when ordering. That does suck about them doing that to your baby. I know my Dad would have a fit of they did that to one of his cars.
You want irony? I think I'm the way I am because my folks didn't wash theirs ENOUGH. At 12 years old I remember I got so mad about this and was embarrassed enough to get out there with the wash stuff, the rubbing compound and the Turtle Wax and do it myself.
My friends were better off than us and their folks had newer Caddys, Imperials and the like.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
You want irony? I think I'm the way I am because my folks didn't wash theirs ENOUGH. At 12 years old I remember I got so mad about this and was embarrassed enough to get out there with the wash stuff, the rubbing compound and the Turtle Wax and do it myself.
My friends were better off than us and their folks had newer Caddys, Imperials and the like.
That's too funny. My dad always had the newest and nicest cars. I guess that's why I never cared much for cars. Now, I just make sure the maintenance is good with oil changes and tune-ups, but appearance is not a show stopper for me. When I go back home, my dad scolds me and then proceeds to wash my vehicle. I tell him not to worry about it, but he sneaks out and does it anyway.

That's too funny. My dad always had the newest and nicest cars. I guess that's why I never cared much for cars. Now, I just make sure the maintenance is good with oil changes and tune-ups, but appearance is not a show stopper for me. When I go back home, my dad scolds me and then proceeds to wash my vehicle. I tell him not to worry about it, but he sneaks out and does it anyway.
I'm with Dad on this one:D

Also, I admit I'm somewhat fanatic but not quite as much as your Dad:) me and my gal even eat in the Lexus sometimes and I do have WeatherTech floor liners but no plastic/paper'
The Lexus hasn't qualified as my baby yet-too new. My baby is my 17 year old Tacoma truck-that truck has earned baby status:D

wash a car? If I washed my truck the dirt holding together would be gone. That would be bad. But then the truck only has 457,000 miles on it so if it falls apart, well it falls apart........
I would have to put it back together and drive it some more.

wash a car? If I washed my truck the dirt holding together would be gone. That would be bad. But then the truck only has 457,000 miles on it so if it falls apart, well it falls apart........
I would have to put it back together and drive it some more.
The miles you racked-up on that truck are an amazing testimony to whatever truck it is. Maybe you should mention its brand:)
Well my RX is done. New gauge pod lens installed. My spending all day Saturday on the exterior finish got rid of most of the scratches they put on it. Another round of my efforts are needed to get rid of the remaining long and sweeping scratches on the hood and a couple on the sides, but I will do it based upon the fact I don't want them touching my RX!
When I was waiting for them to finish, I took a walk around to the back of the dealership to see what I could see regarding who's doing the damage. I discovered that they first send your vehicle through an automatic car wash system, then they drive it over to a corner of the lot where several workers dry the vehicles with well- used rags and large towels. Well guess what I saw-those towels and rags were piled-up on a retaining wall there with dirt and gravel and bushes right behind! I saw a guy working on an older Lexus after its wash, he grabbed one towel from that ledge after it sat there on dirt and stuff, gave it a couple shakes and proceeded to dry that car. Now I see clearly how they laid scratches all over mine!
Clearly, they were not reprimanded at all by the service dept. since my incident. So I intend to take it up to high management. This is something that needs to stop. People obviously don't care nor are aware, maybe, of the damage this carelessness is causing to their vehicles. Although I will insist NO WASH NO DETAIL at every encounter there, I feel they need to do their part to prevent this very poor practice. After all, they ARE the Lexus mothership in my area and should treat these vehicles BETTER than we do.

The miles you racked-up on that truck are an amazing testimony to whatever truck it is. Maybe you should mention its brand:)
Well my RX is done. New gauge pod lens installed. My spending all day Saturday on the exterior finish got rid of most of the scratches they put on it. Another round of my efforts are needed to get rid of the remaining long and sweeping scratches on the hood and a couple on the sides, but I will do it based upon the fact I don't want them touching my RX!
When I was waiting for them to finish, I took a walk around to the back of the dealership to see what I could see regarding who's doing the damage. I discovered that they first send your vehicle through an automatic car wash system, then they drive it over to a corner of the lot where several workers dry the vehicles with well- used rags and large towels. Well guess what I saw-those towels and rags were piled-up on a retaining wall there with dirt and gravel and bushes right behind! I saw a guy working on an older Lexus after its wash, he grabbed one towel from that ledge after it sat there on dirt and stuff, gave it a couple shakes and proceeded to dry that car. Now I see clearly how they laid scratches all over mine!
Clearly, they were not reprimanded at all by the service dept. since my incident. So I intend to take it up to high management. This is something that needs to stop. People obviously don't care nor are aware, maybe, of the damage this carelessness is causing to their vehicles. Although I will insist NO WASH NO DETAIL at every encounter there, I feel they need to do their part to prevent this very poor practice. After all, they ARE the Lexus mothership in my area and should treat these vehicles BETTER than we do.
The old truck is a 1986 Dodge D150 half ton short bed. It still has its original 225 ci 6 cylinder and 4 on the floor.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
That is ridiculous that they are using towels that they lay on the ground. Even I know that is not right. My dad would wash the cars from back to front and never spayed water on full blast. He always used a soft cone of water spray. When we would help him as children, I dropped a tower on the ground and he freaked and went and got a new towel.

The old truck is a 1986 Dodge D150 half ton short bed. It still has its original 225 ci 6 cylinder and 4 on the floor.
Nice:) no wonder you still have it-those trucks are fun! When my cousins lived up in Arcata, Ca. they had a '59 Chevy Apache with an inline 6 which is along the same lines as your Dodge. It previously belonged to the DOF up there. Forest green, the larger inline 6 and three-on-the-tree manual. Not a lot of power but its simplicity and reliable nature made that truck a sheer pleasure to cruise. When we visited that truck was my toy for the duration:)

That is ridiculous that they are using towels that they lay on the ground. Even I know that is not right. My dad would wash the cars from back to front and never spayed water on full blast. He always used a soft cone of water spray. When we would help him as children, I dropped a tower on the ground and he freaked and went and got a new towel.
That is absolutely one of the rules here as well. Especially in that I have two neighbors, one of which parks in the stall next to me, who often go to Ocean Beach and leave sand everywhere on the ground.

Nice:) no wonder you still have it-those trucks are fun! When my cousins lived up in Arcata, Ca. they had a '59 Chevy Apache with an inline 6 which is along the same lines as your Dodge. It previously belonged to the DOF up there. Forest green, the larger inline 6 and three-on-the-tree manual. Not a lot of power but its simplicity and reliable nature made that truck a sheer pleasure to cruise. When we visited that truck was my toy for the duration:)
The inline 6 is a good engine for a truck. Not a huge amount of HP but plenty of Torque. I have had 2800 lbs of tile in the bed one time and pulled a u haul auto transporter with a 4000 lb Subaru outback on it 70 miles from the mountains of SC back to my house in GA another. The truck already had over 400,000 miles on it at that time.

Back when CHRYSLER was still building medium duty trucks and school bus chassis under the DODGE and FARGO names, they did offer the SLANT 6 in those.
As you said they had good torque so they were fine for stop and go on surface streets but take them on the freeway you won't get much more than 50mph so most of those school buses had the V8's since more freeway driving was needed.
The SLANT was eventually dropped in CHRYSLER passenger cars and light trucks as well in the 1980's because most people wanted the V8 anyway.

Back when CHRYSLER was still building medium duty trucks and school bus chassis under the DODGE and FARGO names, they did offer the SLANT 6 in those.
As you said they had good torque so they were fine for stop and go on surface streets but take them on the freeway you won't get much more than 50mph so most of those school buses had the V8's since more freeway driving was needed.
The SLANT was eventually dropped in CHRYSLER passenger cars and light trucks as well in the 1980's because most people wanted the V8 anyway.
Actually people were upset when the slant was replaced by the magnum 3.9 in the trucks in 88. The slant had a good long run as it was used starting in 1960 up until 1987 in the trucks and continued as an industrial and marine engine into the 90s. The reason the slant was dropped was it only worked in the full size trucks and the 3.9 v6 used the same motor mounts as the V8 as is was a cut down V8. I have every intention of rebuilding the slant when it is wore out and upgrading it. Maybe some headers and a super charger?
The old truck will run up to 80 mph in OD but there is not enough carb to get it any faster. The old 1 barrel has its limits.

There is actually some rumblings that CHRYSLER may be going back to the gasoline straight six in some models perhaps RAM and JEEP products. The reason being is since most cars are sadly moving toward 4 cylinder engines, it would be more cost effective to add 2 cylinders to a 4 than to cut off 2 from a V8 which have dwindled in cars and starting to in trucks thanks to turbo charging and not needing as many cylinders.
Can't really say that V6's are so bad though. Some of the early GM and CHRYSLER versions had problems but they have come a long ways since.
Can't really see the V8 gasoline going away completely though in RAM and GM trucks anytime soon but FORD seems determined to phase them out in at least the F150.