• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Car into hydro wires

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwhite

Keep in mind, this is a recreation which answers some of your questions.
The medic talks about hearing the buzz of the wires.
Not sure what you mean "I thought sparks in hydro wires is do to a cut in the insulation .."

"Where is the other car in the MVC?"
Single vehicle accident, they just ran off the road.

SAR923

First, I really don't understand your question but I'll do my best to try and interpret. The "Hydro" wires were actually uninsulated high voltage power cables, probably at least 110 kV assuming the Rescue 911 recreation was realistic, which is highly unlikely. High voltage power lines never have any insulation but air.

There was no other car. It was a single pickup truck into a power pole because the driver was apparently blinded by the sun.

The pole was shorn off but the power transmission lines apparently stayed intact. They would make no sparks or any other noise unless they come in contact with a ground, like a human body.

The mistake made by the well meaning but untrained rescuers was not immediately removing the first victim away from the low hanging power lines and up toward the road. There is no question what to do in this case regardless of the condition of the victim. He must be moved away from danger to other rescuers because one injured person is always better than two or more injured persons.

I hope that answers what I think were your questions.

N

nec208

First, I really don't understand your question but I'll do my best to try and interpret. The "Hydro" wires were actually uninsulated high voltage power cables, probably at least 110 kV assuming the Rescue 911 recreation was realistic, which is highly unlikely. High voltage power lines never have any insulation but air.
So all high voltage power cables have no insulation ?

The pole was shorn off but the power transmission lines apparently stayed intact. They would make no sparks or any other noise unless they come in contact with a ground, like a human body.

Okay that clears it up.

SAR923

Corrrect. High voltage lines do not have insulation because the don't need it. They are in the air, which works as an insulator and dissipates heat.

chrismol1

Premium Subscriber
SAR2401 said:
Corrrect. High voltage lines do not have insulation because the don't need it. They are in the air, which works as an insulator and dissipates heat.
I remember in middle school when we went on a field trip to the local NYSEG center in our area here in NY. They told us how people think that the lines are like the TV or phone cables that are insulated but there really not and you should stay away from anything that has high voltage near it as he said that if theres enough power that it could jump if your wearing anything metal. And they told us stories of kids playing hide and seek and one of them went into a high voltage box, the green ones on the ground and she closed the door behind her and was electrecuted.

N

nec208

and you should stay away from anything that has high voltage near it as he said that if theres enough power that it could jump if your wearing anything metal
One poster on some other group was saying he gone for walk by a high votage line and had a umbrella it was buzzing and there was sparks.He was very very lucky it did not jump..

Status
Not open for further replies.