care to take a look at my project?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeppelin11

hello all so i have been reading in this thread and read a lot of coax concerns and what not i have used an indor RCA TV antenna with the rabbit ears and i did get more of a strong signal but of course i wanted more im trying to listen to 50MHZ and lower i do pick up CB channels which range from 26.965MHZ to 27.405MHz but everything else is static im also trying to listen to coast guard marine etc. im also trying to get rid of the static in the frequencies i have a BC72XLT Uniden scanner i live in old town florida in a mobile home very rural area on 6 acres and a lot of trees i found some RG6 coax cable i have 2 sizes 1.is the "dual messengered RG6 75 OHM cable which i am currently using as my "antenna" and 2. RG6 standard shield. i also use that but to splice i have spliced the dual messengered to the standard shield that has a male connector at the end of the standard shield to fit into my female to male TNC to BNC i believe? to connect to my scanner NOTE: (this is my first time trying anything like this to get better signal and more frequencies for my scanner HAVE MERCY (lol) i have the cable running through my floor board (the dual messengered) under the house and up a big oak tree beside my room which is about 4-6' above my roof and i have nailed the cable to the tree sticking the nail between the 2 wires to not penetrate the copper wire i have about 6" of copper wire stripped to be my "radial" i have also taken the 2 wires and wrapped them around each other than took another 2 of 6" wire and wrapped those together than wrapped it to the wire up the tree giving it a total of 4 wires wrapped around each other at 6" long i have read how to do this on "E how" but bent the rules a little bit considering cable length i dont have much cable about 25-30ft and little to no money to spend here is where i got the idea...How to Make a Coaxial Scanner Antenna | eHow.com than i started reading about putting the cable in a PVC pipe and nail it to the tree i have also heard of several ways to strip back the wire (pictures below) i wasnt 110% confident with this setup i guess it was mostly hope of it to work great that was driving me i would just like some advice on what i need to do to better this setup all suggestions are welcomed thank you

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

LtDoc

zeppelin11,
Your antenna, in effect, is a wire starting from about 6" from your scanner to where ever it ends in that tree. A single wire the same length routed in the same way would do exactly the same thing. The 'shield' portion of that RG-6 may as well not be there since it isn't connected to anything, it isn't providing any benefit. But it works so it's certainly better than nothing, right?
One simple way of extending coverage into the lower frequencies is to make that antenna longer. How much longer? Beats me, the longer the better though. Connect a conductor to the far end of that present antenna and throw it over the top of that tree, or the next tree, or the one after that till it get's completely ridiculous (howz that for an 'exact' answer??).
- 'Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.