Carmel Dispatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Agentblack

The audio on 154.010 is a very clear now and we can hear the dipatch.Sounds like they got the problem fixed with the garbled audio.

That would be expected given that the VHF operations currently are operating off the Carmel Tower. They are still working on several radio projects, so expect a few more changes.

A

Agentblack

Heard that Hamilton County countywide will be going to safe-t and they will be leaving Hamilton County EDACS. Can you confirm?

I have not heard that and I would HIGHLY DOUBT that will occur. West field and noblesville will continue to use safe-t as their backup but that is it. The cost of switching to safe-t from edacs would be absurdly high since every radio in the county would have to be flashed/upgraded to p25.

Dispatch2323

Premium Subscriber
and safe-t coverage in Hamilton is bad. Madison County recently said they would never join safe-t until the monthly user fees are dropped.

Dispatch2323

Premium Subscriber
Well, I stand corrected. The council meeting notes I read said a County Councilman objected to paying the monthly fees.

GTO_04

Hamilton County is probably too big (too many users) to go on the SAFE-T system. However, they could possibly convert to a Harris P-25 system. Aren't their radios P25 compatible? Other agencies have done that.

GTO_04

A

Agentblack

Hamilton County is probably too big (too many users) to go on the SAFE-T system. However, they could possibly convert to a Harris P-25 system. Aren't their radios P25 compatible? Other agencies have done that.

GTO_04

The vast majority of the radios are the newer models that can be firmware flashed/programmed into P25 service, but there is also equipment that would need to be changed out at the towers/back rooms. From the last report I heard, it is being investigated, but I do not know where the project stands now.

HamCo does have a lot of users on the network, but I wouldn't see an issue if HamCo had the tower coverage as well as the digital ID's to go with the network. Obviously there would be no way HamCo could go to Safe-T Analog due to the volume of users, but if they went digital, it shouldn't be an issue.

The other issue with Safe-T is the state owns it, and they can with a flick of a switch, shut your equipment off if the county got into a "who's bigger" fight with the state, whereas local established communications systems are owned and maintained by the county/towns/cities. Provides a little more control over who gets to turn stuff on/off.

HamCo would probably need at least 3 more Safe-T towers to ensure proper coverage. Just my opinion/thoughts. I am no way an educated person on radio theory/propagation but HamCo is currently a 4 tower system, and there is already 1 Safe-T site in the county, so adding three more should in theory work.

Status
Not open for further replies.