Case for HamItUp Converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortwaver

Premium Subscriber
I am looking to install my Ham It Up converter in a case. NooElec's mentions on their site that the device is made to fit in Hammond's standard cases. I looked extensively online for a plastic case that would fit, though I haven't found one yet. I am looking for the case to have stand-off screws inside to accept the board. Hammond's 1551 series has these stand-offs, though that series is made for smaller projects and don't come in the size big enough to fit. The series 1591's are big enough but don't come with the stand-offs.

I would like the final project to look cool and I think the blue translucent box with the blue board inside would look pretty nice. I was also interested in adding a bit of shielding in the project by using a metal box, though the enclosure project builder shown on the Ham It Up page mentioned that the metal enclosure he made didn't seem to make a difference. Perhaps the board already provides it's own shielding?

If anyone would care to share any pictures of their project, I would appreciate it.

dcfield21

Ham it up

It's been over a year since this was posted. I see no replies and I have the same question. I can't just keep the P.C. board on an end table, it looks a little too industrial :)
Thanks

tomisius

Fabricate your own?

Plastic is easy enough to manipulate (drill holes, cut, etc.). Find any plastic enclosure you like and make your own stand-offs with nylon hardware. Holes can easily be drilled - you can even use an old soldering iron/gun if you don't own a drill. Careful selection of grommets will hide imperfections if you don't have steady hands.

If you have access to a propane torch, a drill and some plumbing solder, you can fab a custom enclosure with thin galvanized sheet metal. Use grommets where connectors or wires enter the box. In most cases, you'd want to ground the box as well but it depends on the application. Again, nylon is a good choice for stand-offs. Using good flux and technique, I've made several enclosures this way. The last one even got a special paint job and durable labeling ;) It takes quite a bit of practice, though.

If you can't find what you need off the shelf, you could always walk the aisles of your favorite hardware store. I've used conduit boxes as enclosures in the past for smaller designs. Radio Shack used to carry project boxes but they've moved away from such things over the years.

T

shortwaver

Premium Subscriber
Plastic is easy enough to manipulate (drill holes, cut, etc.). Find any plastic enclosure you like and make your own stand-offs with nylon hardware. Holes can easily be drilled - you can even use an old soldering iron/gun if you don't own a drill. Careful selection of grommets will hide imperfections if you don't have steady hands.

If you have access to a propane torch, a drill and some plumbing solder, you can fab a custom enclosure with thin galvanized sheet metal. Use grommets where connectors or wires enter the box. In most cases, you'd want to ground the box as well but it depends on the application. Again, nylon is a good choice for stand-offs. Using good flux and technique, I've made several enclosures this way. The last one even got a special paint job and durable labeling ;) It takes quite a bit of practice, though.

If you can't find what you need off the shelf, you could always walk the aisles of your favorite hardware store. I've used conduit boxes as enclosures in the past for smaller designs. Radio Shack used to carry project boxes but they've moved away from such things over the years.

T

These are all great ideas. I'm going to take a look at different items on my next trip to Lowes. Thanks

found this a short while back,but then built a SDR box that was all inclusive with the dongle and converter together..not sure if theyre still available.
Nicest one ive seen yet..Seller looks like he stopped making them,but maybe he has a couple left.

Clear Acrylic Case FOR HAM IT UP Nooelec RF Upconverter SDR Board Enclosure BOX | eBay

But...one thing Im thnking is that this design/material will not provide any shielding protection..
But Id still like to get one anyway..

Last edited:

shortwaver

Premium Subscriber
found this a short while back,but then built a SDR box that was all inclusive with the dongle and converter together..not sure if theyre still available.
Nicest one ive seen yet..Seller looks like he stopped making them,but maybe he has a couple left.

Clear Acrylic Case FOR HAM IT UP Nooelec RF Upconverter SDR Board Enclosure BOX | eBay

But...one thing Im thnking is that this design/material will not provide any shielding protection..

Very slick. I must have missed that one. Looks like there may be a market for these things

tomisius

Regarding the acrylic case...

That is a slick box. Maybe I'm missing something but why all the extra head and leg room?

shortwaver

Premium Subscriber
Regarding the acrylic case...

That is a slick box. Maybe I'm missing something but why all the extra head and leg room?

I'm thinking it must have been re-purposed from a different project?

JohnBreen

This clear acrylic case from Spain is NOW AVAILABLE in the USA from Amazon. Use your credit card and get reliable Amazon delivery - I just ordered mine - look here:

Amazon.com: Clear Acrylic enclosure for Ham Upconverter board

JohnBreen

Case for the "Ham it up" converter

My Pleasure.

I was thinking about an earlier post that points out that there is room to put the dongle in there too (since the upconverter has an on/off switch that would make sense) but I wonder if the oscillator in the upconverter would affect the dongle (wonder if wrapping it in foil and grounding the foil would help). I am also wondering about how much heat there will be in the "box" (unless of course a small fan is installed). I guess that is part of the fun of the radio hobby - experimentation!

I better watch it or this "brick" could end up weighing a couple of pounds. :)

JohnBreen

Ham it up Case

......and when it rains it pours.

NooElec has announced that THEY will have an ALUMINUM case for the Ham It Up in a couple of weeks.

And another good idea in Low Noise Preamps has been announced. All kinds of good stuff has suddenly emerged.

Regards, John

Attachments

• NooElec Case 1.jpg
    NooElec Case 1.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 2,440
  • NooElec case 2.jpg
    NooElec case 2.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 2,680
Last edited:

shortwaver

Premium Subscriber
......and when it rains it pours.

NooElec has announced that THEY will have an ALUMINUM case for the Ham It Up in a couple of weeks.

And another good idea in Low Noise Preamps has been announced. All kinds of good stuff has suddenly emerged.

Regards, John

I was just about to pull the trigger on the acrylic case, and now glad i didn't. The aluminum case should help with unwanted RF. Can't wait to see the price. I'm guessing it will be around $20.

JohnBreen

I guess I will find out - I will have one of each filled full of upconverter. Actually, self adhesive aluminum and copper tape are available (certainly not as cheap as masking tape :)) ) so there is a "fix" if the acrylic case "leaks" RF. All part of the fun of the "amateur" radio hobby. Keep your eye on the NooElec site for the release of their case.

JB(N3JPB)

JohnBreen

Acrylic down converter case

Received mine yesterday via AMAZON. Good service and FAST. The design and execution of the enclosure are exceptionally well done. VERY fine construction really, with very exact fitment, Glad to have it protecting one of my NooElec upconverters.

Status
Not open for further replies.