• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Cats and Radios

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool stories!

I'm a city boy, so the only horses I ever really came close to are the NYPD horses. They are very well trained and quite majestic.

Just like you, the cops become very attached to their horses. I believe they have full NYPD honors when they die.

Now him Look like old Dog as i called my Kitty in his later years.. the only difference in Turd was he had a little while under his neck) and his coat just shined in the sun.. :D

Great picture Mr. P :D

Even if I did have a cat, I would never allow it near the radio and (especially) the computer equipment under any circumstances. Loose cat hair is a mess and can kill a computer pretty quickly when it gets pulled in by the fan and caught in the heatsink/power supply/motherboard, etc. and allowed to accumulate, which really doesn't take long. Especially if it's a shoddy Dell, HP or crApple.

Even my American pit-bull terrier knew that being in the computer room was a big no-no and would get her the newspaper to the nose if she did it, just like being on the sofa. Different species, same issue.

That said, newspapers always freaked her out something awful for about as long as I had the dog (parents gave her to me when I was about 9 or so and she was about two...said I needed to learn "responsibility", whatever the hell that is.) Figure she must have had some sort of "experience" with them when she was a puppy or something. Anyways, she learned pretty quickly which parts of the house did and didn't belong in just by the presence of a stack or basket of newspapers in the vicinity. Turned out to be a pretty effective training method, especially during that period a few years ago when I was moving from apartment to apartment for a while. You know that one favourite pittle spot of hers in the TV room floor just under the window? Couple old issues of the Columbian setting there broke her of that nasty little habit pretty quickly!

Last edited:
Dogs are cool, too.

I grew up with a Collie mix, from the time I was eight until 21. He went from NYC to college in Geneseo, NY, which is about eight hours by car or ten or twelve by bus, as I recall. He was so cool just hanging out in the back while my brother and I took turns driving.

It's been nearly forty years since then. I still miss Sam the collie; "The Great Schnozzola"!

Anyway, I understand about the pet hair in the computer and all over. I just did my best to keep it at bay. It's just cool to have your cat by your side as you tune up and down, looking for HF utilities, or the local cops, or yakking on the repeater!

"You can always take the responsibility (there's that word again) to clean your equipment now and then."

Yes, speaking as a (sometimes) computer tech, I highly agree and wish more people would do just that. That's part of the responsibility (see, there it is again) of owning and operating computer and stationary electronic hardware.

<tangent><rant disposition="controversial"> And what is it with Macintrashers and cats? With very few exceptions, nearly every Macintrash household I've been to is also a cat house. Any time I get such a machine in (usually to tear down for scrap, due to some catastrophic failure or other that's rendered the thing totally useless) do you know what the first thing I almost always end up removing from the fans/grilles/heat sinks etc. is? Cat hair and dust. Balls and balls of the stuff packed in there, effectively insulating components and impeding proper cooling airflow. And people wonder why their Macintoys have such phenominally high failure rates? Open it up every couple months or so, take some R-134A and a vacuum to it and who knows, it might just attain a lifespan comparable to a more reliable non-proprietary PC. But, I guess people just can't be bothered with such things. Hey, at least it's not my money. </rant></tangent>

Most hams and SWL's that have cats most likely have PCs, as there have been fewer programs for radio control and logging available that are Mac compatible.

That doesn't change the idea that cats and radios go together like chocolate and peanut butter!

Just how I feel, is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.