• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Cb/10 meter radio equipment in new Pickup truck

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBowTie

Been scouring the net for the answer to this question but could not find the answer so maybe you guys can help me out.

I have a 16 Silverado and I am looking to put a Stryker SR-497-HPC Radio in my truck. I am concerned about negatively affecting the electronics on the pickup trucks ecm, throwing codes and any other issue that could arise. Is this something I should be worried about with a "100 watt" radio?

Thank you for your time

jhooten

Check the owner's manual and follow the recommendations in it, particularly where to source the power.

Don't mount the antenna near the ecu.

Make sure all the ground connections are good.

My last Silverado was a 13. I had an FT-857 mounted in it using it on all hf bands. Never had a problem.

Also check out www.k0bg.com for loads of information on mobile installations.

Last edited:

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
GM is pretty good about properly grounding the chassis of their pickups. I've got a 110W, 35W and 25W radio in my 2013 Sierra and sometimes I key two radios simultaneously…my alternator doesn't appreciate it much…but it never has had any issues.

A good antenna installation is key to a decent working system. I'd highly recommend using a NMO mount on the roof with an antenna the cut and then checked for resonance (Larsen NMO27 for example). If not a fan of the drill the roof mentality (I know not everyone is like me and has no issue putting holes in the roofs of new trucks) look at a hood channel mount with the same antenna.

jim202

A very important issue here is to make sure the SWR is low. Use a good watt meter to measure it and not some cheap piece of Radio Shack quality meter.

You didn't say what kind of 10 meter antenna your planning to use. I do not recommend any fiberglass type of antenna being used. You may not be able to tune them for the lowest SWR.

On the 100 watt radio, you need to pull the high current power directly from the battery. You don't need to run the negative wire all the way to the battery, but the red high current wire needs to go there. Make sure you have a fuse right near the battery on the high current red wire. Depending on the radio, it will probably be about 25 or 30 amps.

I am not a supporter of putting in a fuse on the black high current wire. Just make sure it goes to a good body ground. You also didn't mention if this was a trunk mount type radio. If so, you probably can mount the radio under the back seat and run the control cable to the head under the rug along the center.

Hope this gives you enough guidance. No photo, so can't make a suggestion on where to put the control head for the 100 watt radio. Maybe under the dash or on the front of the center console if you have one.

Just make sure if anything is mounted under the dash, make sure it is out of the way of your knees is you get into an accident. Your knees will take a beating if they hit a radio in an crash.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
On the 100 watt radio, you need to pull the high current power directly from the battery. You don't need to run the negative wire all the way to the battery, but the red high current wire needs to go there. Make sure you have a fuse right near the battery on the high current red wire. Depending on the radio, it will probably be about 25 or 30 amps.

I am not a supporter of putting in a fuse on the black high current wire. Just make sure it goes to a good body ground.

That's actually how GM still suggests mounting two-way radio equipment (Motorola style). Positive to the battery with a fuse, negative direct to chassis.

MrBowTie

Thanks for the replays guys. Setup I am looking at is the Stryker 497 with a sirio 5000 performer with the 145 mag mount. Not a huge fan of the mag mount but my truck has a 6" lift on it and doing a lot of underground work so going to have to pop off the antenna on the job in the am. Looking to put the radio on the console down under in the center. There's a little door there I was going to mount the radio to and then buy a factory replace when I trade the truck in.

Status
Not open for further replies.