cb anntenna on a scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jturner0829

Premium Subscriber
i am putting a scanner and a cb radio in my truck. scanner will be a uniden 996xt. would it be ok to run a cb anntenna on a scanner? the reason i am asking is because i was going to get 2 of the same anntennas either a wilson or a firestick, one for cb and one for scanner. want to have the same for the reason of uniform look. i will be listining to the project 25 as well as some older systems untill they upgrade.

thanks

mancow

Database Admin
It won't work very well for 800 Mhz systems but will probably be great for low band and Vhf Hi.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
A cb antenna used on a scanner should work fine in the low band area,the 30mhz to 40mhz area.But anywhere else your probably not going to find it working very well.

Last edited:

krokus

Premium Subscriber
In addition to not working well in some frequency ranges, you could overload the front end of the scanner, when keying up the CB. With the antennas being the same type, and in close proximity, you will get a very efficient transfer of energy.

I seriously doubt it would be enough to hurt the scanner, as many people use scanners near various transmitters, without damage, but it could cause you to lose signal you are listening to when transmitting.

CoolCat

Premium Subscriber
A CB antenna will work, but not very well. If most of what you'll be monitoring is VHF then it will probably work ok, but performance in the UHF band (especially 800MHz) will probably be quite poor.

You could get a Wintenna Scan Master 190 fiberglass antenna for your scanner. It would be easy to get a Firestik CB antenna to match it for a "uniform look".

:)

jturner0829

Premium Subscriber
thanks for all the replies. i may just go with a through the glass scanner anntenna and be done with it. i will be listening to mostly the 800mhz. on the scanner.

what are some good anntennas to run on a truck for the scanner. or what would be the best route. iv been useing a handheld for years and this will be my first mobile setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.