• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CB radio antenna solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
Hello Everyone,
I am trying to think of an antenna solution for my CB. I don't know much about CB and will mostly be using it for monitoring when I drive to the metroplex and am stuck on the freeways (Usually 5-6 times a year) I don't plan on transmitting but would like the ability to if I needed (I could sacrifice on distance and quality as long as it doesnt effect the CB itself). I will already be installing a 1/4wave VHF antenna on the roof of my 2018 Ford F-150. I don't really want to add another antenna to the roof. however, I would if it wasnt much longer than the 1/4wave VHF antenna. I have not been able to find a short length NMO cb antenna. I plan on putting a spray in bed liner and tool box in the bed, so I don't know that adding an antenna to the bed will be a solution either. I have seen splitter devices for AM/FM car radio & CB radio to the CB Antenna, but is there a way to use the stock AM/FM vehicle antenna as a CB antenna as well? if not can someone please suggest other CB antenna solutions?

bill4long

Hello Everyone,
I am trying to think of an antenna solution for my CB. I don't know much about CB and will mostly be using it for monitoring when I drive to the metroplex and am stuck on the freeways (Usually 5-6 times a year) I don't plan on transmitting but would like the ability to if I needed (I could sacrifice on distance and quality as long as it doesnt effect the CB itself). I will already be installing a 1/4wave VHF antenna on the roof of my 2018 Ford F-150. I don't really want to add another antenna to the roof. however, I would if it wasnt much longer than the 1/4wave VHF antenna. I have not been able to find a short length NMO cb antenna. I plan on putting a spray in bed liner and tool box in the bed, so I don't know that adding an antenna to the bed will be a solution either. I have seen splitter devices for AM/FM car radio & CB radio to the CB Antenna, but is there a way to use the stock AM/FM vehicle antenna as a CB antenna as well? if not can someone please suggest other CB antenna solutions?

You could get something like this : HH 50 WX ST
It should receive well enough to listen to the locals.

n5rv

Chemically inert
Premium Subscriber
I keep a K40 mag mount antenna and a Midland 75-822 in the work truck. I use my Icom IC-7100 in the personal truck.

Long time no see John! Hope all is good with ya!

de Jerry N5RV

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I keep a K40 mag mount antenna and a Midland 75-822 in the work truck. I use my Icom IC-7100 in the personal truck.

Mag mounts won't work on his 2018 F-150, it's aluminum.

As for the OP's question….
Antenna length is based on operating frequency. CB/27MHz/11 meter band. A "respectable" CB antenna is going to be 1/4 wavelength, or about 8 feet long. You can "trick" the antenna into being a bit shorter by using loading coils, but squeezing it down to an 18" length is going to result in terrible performance.

A couple of options...
1. Just use a 1/4 wave VHF whip and don't transmit. It's not going to receive well, but you'll probably hear those very close in around you.
2. Drill a second hole and put a Larsen NMO-27 or Laird 27 up there when you need it. When you don't need it, remove the antenna and put an NMO cap in it's place. That'll give you reasonable performance.
3. Pick up one of the AM/FM - CB antenna adapters. These are a diplexer that goes in line with the AM/FM radio and it's antenna. It'll allow you to connect a CB to the existing antenna.
It's not going to work well, but it may be the better option. Would at least allow you to transmit short ranges.
4. Put a 3/8x24 mount somewhere on the bed rail and put one of the fiberglass antennas on there when you need it. Gonna look ugly as sin, but will work.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
OP: What sort of range are you wanting, for reception? Almost any compromise on antenna length will have negative affects signal.

Sent using Tapatalk

RFI-EMI-GUY

Your best bet is an NMO-27 Larsen antenna mounted center on the cab. The whip is around 48 inches give or take and you can tie it down with an insulated gutter clip to clear low obstructions.

Otherwise stow it in the cab and screw on a weather cover on the NMO when you are not driving long distances.

You will be happy with the performance of the NMO-27 once you tune it properly.

Otherwise the firestick antennas are an option, but it seems everyone who installs one on a truck/toolbox/motorhome etc. , comes back to this forum asking how to tune it properly. In my opinion unless you have a really good ground plane, the firestick is just a gimmick antenna with screwy tuning.

RFI-EMI-GUY

(snip) I have seen splitter devices for AM/FM car radio & CB radio to the CB Antenna, but is there a way to use the stock AM/FM vehicle antenna as a CB antenna as well? if not can someone please suggest other CB antenna solutions?

Does a 2018 F150 actually have a rod antenna?

FiveFilter

Don't expect much trying to use the AM/FM antenna. It likely will yield something, just not much.

KI5CBK

Fender mount bracket and a 3-4’ fiberglass cb antenna. No holes drilled and easy to hide or repurpose later. XYL has a fender mounted 4’ Skipshooter fiberglass antenna on her Tahoe, typical range for her is 8-10 miles mobile to mobile, can talk to base ops at 35 miles away.

Another option would be mod the mount and put the NMO27 antenna on, but the loading coil would be low so performance may suffer.

scgt40

I just purchased President Electronics McKinley radio with the Missouri Up antenna ($79) and expect delivery tomorrow. Antenna is going on the roof of a 2010 F150 (crewcab). Online and youtube reviews are all good. Here's a review on the President Electronics Mississippi antenna. It appears to be identical to the Missouri Up antenna but without the magnetic base.

Status
Not open for further replies.