CB radio VS Ham Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

auxscan

I caught a good chat today on Ch 6 with a cool guy who seemed to like cb for what it is. Apparently we both opened a topic that lasted for an hour. If we should move on to ham radio cause CB was just plain silly with the flat out cursing, everyone stepping over each other. And some people just acting plain stupid or putting over a dead key minutes at a time. However we took a poll and the majority of the operators said that moving on to ham would be a better idea. However some idiot said this is not a wussy service and if you can't make it out here than move on to P**sy Ham. I explained to him the ham radio has discipline and that they really respect one another and its policed by the FCC. Unlike the free for all cb radio service. People pushing so much wattage that they interfere with the nearby channels. The mumble sounds of a dx station in the background. However just wanted to know peoples opinion on this service.

Were you a former cb operator and moved on into ham radio?

Are you still an active cb operator?

Do you think CB needs policing?

Why do you prefer one service out of the two?

jim202

Ham radio is not for everyone.

With that said, the ham radio frequencies or different bands offer something to everyone. There
are different classes of licensing that provide for the ability to get onto different bands. These
different bands can be used for short range or long range communications. The distance you
can communicate over on a regular basis depends on the frequency used.

Take for example, if all you are looking for is short range communications of say 10 miles or
less, then the 2 meter (144 to 148 MHz) or the 440 MHz band would be ideal. If your looking
to go further, say up to the 30 or 50 mile range, then you might want to get onto the 6 meter
band (50 to 54 MHz). Longer ranges can be had that let you talk to the other side of the world
on a daily basis.

Most people start out with the "Technician" class ham license. This provides access to all the
frequencies above 50 MHz. The next class license is the "General" license. This gives you
the ability to get onto the HF frequencies. These frequencies range from the 80 meter band
all the way up to the 10 meter band, just above the CB channels.

Most of the communications on the HF frequencies is by using voice and Single Side Band
modulation. However, there are some that like to use the morse code on what is called CW.
I guess you could say there is something for everyone. What ever turns you on.

There are other forms of communications used on the ham bands. You can hear RTTY, slow
scan TV, packet, AMTOR and a couple of other special types of modulation used to communicate.
Not everyone gets on the radio and just chats all day long.

When a major disaster strikes and takes out the normal communications, the first comms out of
an area like that is generally a ham radio operator. Then the state and federal agencies start
to roll in and they bring the sat terminals and establish some communications out of the region
that was hit. Like during the aftermath of hurricane Katrina. ham radio and sat links was all
there was for long distance communications for several weeks.

Hope this might start to answer your question.

Jim

I caught a good chat today on Ch 6 with a cool guy who seemed to like cb for what it is. Apparently we both opened a topic that lasted for an hour. If we should move on to ham radio cause CB was just plain silly with the flat out cursing, everyone stepping over each other. And some people just acting plain stupid or putting over a dead key minutes at a time. However we took a poll and the majority of the operators said that moving on to ham would be a better idea. However some idiot said this is not a wussy service and if you can't make it out here than move on to P**sy Ham. I explained to him the ham radio has discipline and that they really respect one another and its policed by the FCC. Unlike the free for all cb radio service. People pushing so much wattage that they interfere with the nearby channels. The mumble sounds of a dx station in the background. However just wanted to know peoples opinion on this service.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Most people start out with the "Technician" class ham license. This provides access to all the
frequencies above 50 MHz. The next class license is the "General" license. This gives you
the ability to get onto the HF frequencies. These frequencies range from the 80 meter band
all the way up to the 10 meter band, just above the CB channels.

That is no longer correct.

Techs now have voice from 28.300-28.500 and CW on several HF subbands.

kc2rgw

Premium Subscriber
I spent years on CB, it was my intro to radio since nobody I knew was a ham and long before the internet, finding out information on how to test was not easy.

It all depends on the people, the frequency doesn't change the people.

After a few people died or were killed, our CB group fell apart. That left a pretty low IQ bunch on the band to talk to. Constant profanity, threats, intentional interference etc. I stopped getting on the air for years.

I finally got my ticket just a few years ago after finding all the information I needed on line.

In general terms

1) Ham radio of course has sooo much more spectrum and mode options...it's great that way. Lots of variety for operating. CB has nowhere near the options...at least not legally, nor commonly.

2) For the most part, the people are a lot smarter on the ham bands. In my case, I prefer that. Conversations are more interesting and you meet people with a lot more diverse experiences. What comes along with this, in general terms, is that people are kinder and more helpful. You don't have nearly as many mean spirited people. Lower the IQ and mean spirited behavior rises.

There are dirtbag operators in ham radio....no question. Just listen to a DX pileup or a contest weekend, they come out of the woodwork. 75m is no picnic depending on the group either. But you have a lot more space to move around and a wider range of people to choose from. There are a lot fewer dirtbags on the air vs CB.

It's the diversity of ham radio that I like best and the fact that the majority of the time, you don't get the same low brow hostility that CB at least in the NY Metro area has in abundance.

Also, if a guy takes the time to bother with a license process, it shows a motivation to be there on the bands. This is also a tremendous filter for quality of people. Not a guarantee, but it helps a lot.

poppafred

Back in the day, CB was all I could afford. Ham radio ops in my home town had a sense of superiority and exclusiveness that you can not even imagine. Some in the area had almost a sense of entitlement. Some there still have that, a lot do not. I discovered that was a regional thing. When I moved 150 miles away, the attitude was radically different. So different, I felt encouraged, learned morse and got my Novice in 1990.

After the trucker craze of the 70's, CB got to the point it was totally disgusting. All it took was a string of obscenities while my 18 mo old daughter was riding with me one evening. I sold my last CB radio at a yard sale in 1978. I think I got $10 for it and the antenna.

Active sales of illegal drugs, active solicitation of prostitution, actively assisting in the avoidance of DOT Inspections, blatant violation of commision rules and laughing about how they are getting away with it. Yeah, it needs to be cleaned up. I am surprised the FCC has not flushed the entire service down the drain, coming out with a total ban on it. It would have to be totally rebuilt from the ground up, requiring confiscation and destruction of all current equipment and heavy fines for anyone using CB for an extended period of time (5 years minimum) to get it cleaned up. That isn't going to happen, it has gone too far. I have come to believe the Family Radio Service was an attempt by the FCC to bypass CB for those wanting to communicate without the trash talkers. Better radios, CTCSS and FM make it a much better service. Main problem is the radios are more expensive so fewer folks buy them. Cheaper to run by the truck stop or Radio Shack and buy a CB rig. But FRS is an active and growing service in the US.

I prefer Amateur Radio, by far. Much more flexible, requires at least a little commitment to pass the tests so the really lazy ops don't even try to get in. Self policing and FCC enforcement keeps the garbage at least supressed on most bands. There is a proactive intolerance of the trouble makers. Also, if you don't like a conversation, you have all kinds of spectrum you can dial off into and get away from it. You also learn that there is more to communicating than adding more power (at least some do). The challenge of reduced power (QRP) is fun. Imagine using less than the CB limit of 5 watts to talk around the world! No challenge to crank up the watts to legal limit into a beam antenna and talk to Australia. Anyone can do that. If that's all you want, you can do it with a cell phone a lot easier and cheaper. Means a lot more to do it on less than 1 watt and a wire antenna! If CBers ever discovered sideband, it would open up a new world for them but they are forever stuck on AM.

I enjoyed the rag chewing on CB and miss it greatly. If CB could ever get its act together and clean itself up, I would consider checking it out again.

But I am not going to hold my breath. :wink:

2beers4me

Yes

Not unless I'm at work. I'm a truck driver.

No. People should police themselves. If you don't like what you hear turn the channel.

In cb you are limited to a few channels, and modes AM/SSB. In ham radio the possibilities are endless of what you will take an interest in. The hobby has much more to offer, and without the rude operators (for the most part.)

gccflscan

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned

I don't use Part 95 Class D aka "CB" as a main part of my communications, but I still have that ability. I moved on, and NOT to amateur.

I would call it active when needed.

YES! But its not going to happen, not even on the radar.

I moved from Part 95 Class D to Part 95 Class A aka GMRS.

Repeaters, higher legal outputs for repeaters, mobiles, etc...

I have my reasons for not choosing to be active in the amateur service, test and license is NOT part of that.. I have ***MY*** reasons, and that is all I will say, ***MY*** choice.

reedeb

I've been on CB since 1978 In 1995 I got my Ticket [no code tech] and have had both in my vehicle for a long time. Now due to financial difficulties my Cb is gone [older Rad shack rig died] but if I could I'd get another one. I just tend to ignore the fools out there [occasionally will listen to some of em argue on the air and laugh over it] IF your ears are too delicate to hear the stuff on CB try some of the hams on HF with their foul mouths and arguing, it ain ALL on CB anymore. It's what YOU make of it!!

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
I'm a ham thats moving to CB.

Not completely... just putting one in for giggles... It couldnt hurt.

darg

Hi Guys,

I'm new to HAM, did my license two one week ago, but I have done CB for a couple of years over in Germany before I came here to the US. In Europe they have FM (80 channels) and AM (I think was 10 or 12 channels) but the language was sometimes realy bad on some "house channels".
Due to new hobbies like off roading I needed a backup in case of emergency and tried at first CB. Even with a good antenna on the Jeep I figured out that CB here in the Bay Area / San Jose is pretty much dead. It might be the high tech area Silicon Valley but also up Interstate 80 into the mountains the band is empty so I was looking for something better. The Technician was the starting point, having the first HAM radio I like it and the potential is so much bigger.
I will keep the CB running since during convoy driving not everybody has a license and it keeps the frequency open :)

darg

kc2rgw

Premium Subscriber
Is that in addition to the 50MHz and higher or were they removed from the tech license when they were given the 28MHz range?

All modes full bands 50MHz and above, just restricted to phone and cw only on 10m in limited ranges.

CW only on HF portions for novice.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Comparing CB to Amateur Radio is like comparing the solar system to the universe, get the picture? Why play around with the space shuttle when you can pilot a star ship? Oh no, you mentioned the dreaded channel 6 AKA The Superbowl which is the main line every sewer is connected to, the worst of the worse. Oh I'm sure it made quite an impression on you and if it hasn't yet it sure will!

"Were you a former cb operator and moved on into ham radio?"
Yes.

"Are you still an active cb operator?"
No.

"Do you think CB needs policing?"
There ain't enough cops on the planet to clean up that mess.

"Why do you prefer one service out of the two?
If you give me that roll of toilet paper with the 500 extra sheets I'll write them down for you. (Yeah, there are that many, ham radio has SO much to offer.) I was active once upon a time and it was good but I wouldn't give 2c for what it has become IF you can find someone to talk to. While there are a few pockets of activity here and there and a few sane people it died a horrible death choking on its own vomit. I use it as a "beacon band" to see if 10M is open and when it's not all I hear are a few super power stations in the NYC area on one particular channel, the rest is dead air. That alone is perhaps the best reason I can give, no sense listening to static when the ham bands are alive with activity.

reedeb

Comparing CB to Amateur Radio is like comparing the solar system to the universe, get the picture? Why play around with the space shuttle when you can pilot a star ship? Oh no, you mentioned the dreaded channel 6 AKA The Superbowl which is the main line every sewer is connected to, the worst of the worse. Oh I'm sure it made quite an impression on you and if it hasn't yet it sure will!

"Were you a former cb operator and moved on into ham radio?"
Yes.

"Are you still an active cb operator?"
No.

"Do you think CB needs policing?"
There ain't enough cops on the planet to clean up that mess.

"Why do you prefer one service out of the two?
If you give me that roll of toilet paper with the 500 extra sheets I'll write them down for you. (Yeah, there are that many, ham radio has SO much to offer.) I was active once upon a time and it was good but I wouldn't give 2c for what it has become IF you can find someone to talk to. While there are a few pockets of activity here and there and a few sane people it died a horrible death choking on its own vomit. I use it as a "beacon band" to see if 10M is open and when it's not all I hear are a few super power stations in the NYC area on one particular channel, the rest is dead air. That alone is perhaps the best reason I can give, no sense listening to static when the ham bands are alive with activity.

WOW!! Tell us how you REALLY feel and don't hold anything back

auxscan

well i think im very similar kc2rjw, I have no one in my family who's into the hobby nor do I have friends who in the hobby. My only luck is the internet. I tryed taking the test online but failed. Im thinking about getting a GMRS licence while the wait. I'll try getting Ham licence once everything starts to improve with my life.

As for my ears being too delicate lol, the streets of brooklyn have much more trash talking idiots then the cb radio service. Its just the decipline, people stepping all over each other. the operators with so much wattage cutting in the smaller stations. Im aware that the superbowl is very trashtalking but its the only active ch in the NYC metro area. And sometimes there are a few good operators usually around the afternoon who open interseting topics. When im hearing stations from newark, PA or brooklyn its sounds like world war 3 between different states.

Bass Tax

I need something for my truck to know where traffic and cops are period. Mind you that I'm a 21yo college student so money is tight. I dont need any excuses just straight forward fact and numbers. Also I like to travel in state and to LA ( Louisiana ) and I love to be in the desert so I need to reach out and touch someone. Sooooooo

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.