CB radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcop225

Radio Zoomer
Is there any widespread use of CBs outside of comms for foul-mouthed truckers?
Any responses would be appriceated.

Portable14

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
It really depends on where you're located. I know that when I used to live in Norwich Connecticut, There was widespread use of the CB on channel 34, Channel 28, And Channel 12, Although I must say that most of those people, Such as "Beeper Boy" and "Little Indian", and "Elivs", Were no better than foul mouthed truckers, Especially Fred, But like I said, it really depends on where you are and what your range is, Which would be base on antenna high/quality and other factors.

drew6553

I have seen a recent resurgent in cb whip antennas on all type of vehicles like the family sedan. I usually keep an old midland turned on and listen to CB traffic and it doesn't always seem that bad anymore. I know deer hunters use cb and I've heard other various traffic on it so it may be a day to day happening on where it's going IE the way foul mouths use it the way they do. Last night about 9 pm I heard someone doing an actual good thing over the air. A man was giving a prayer of safety for all the driver.

af5rn

The "foul-mouthed truckers" are actually the best thing on CB. Unlike all the foul-mouthed non-truckers trying to use their CB as a penis extension, at least the truckers offer some useful information and occasional assistance to other users.

There is widespread use of CBs outside of truckers, but it's certainly not anything worth listening to. And, of course, "widespread" is a relative term. 1978 saw "widespread" CB use. 2008 CB is pretty much just a wasteland.

lugoffman

jcop225 said:
Is there any widespread use of CBs outside of comms for foul-mouthed truckers?
Any responses would be appriceated.

A guy once told me that cb's stands for criminal band Lol !!! and told me to go get that HAM license. They forbid foul language , and they are very friendly the test is only 14 dollars and got a good study link if ya want it.

dnk1102

Most people on the CB are the same as channel 19, or they think they know everything, which is why I took my Ham test and got a license to get away from the CB junk!!!
If you're looking into something for Radio Communication, I suggest Studying a little, and taking your first Ham test for your Tech license and you'll enjoy 1o meter and 2 meter stuff way better that CB.

af5rn

lugoffman said:
A guy once told me that cb's stands for criminal band Lol !!! and told me to go get that HAM license. They forbid foul language , and they are very friendly the test is only 14 dollars...
Ya know, I can't recall for sure, but I think my CB licence cost almost twice that back in the late 60s. Talk about a rip-off!

lugoffman

af5rn said:
Ya know, I can't recall for sure, but I think my CB licence cost almost twice that back in the late 60s. Talk about a rip-off!

Well thats what they told me here in South Carolina it would be it may be different though
in other states I didn't think about that

dnk1102

The FCC is a Federal Entity, I think it would be $14.00 all over the country, and that is what I paid to take my ham test with in the past year!!

lugoffman

dnk1102 said:
The FCC is a Federal Entity, I think it would be $14.00 all over the country, and that is what I paid to take my ham test with in the past year!!

I haven't took the test yet but was it hard ?? give me a pm dont want to hijack a thread Thanks Jason

Last edited:

Tommahawk

Geez the misconception of Cititzen Band Radio being dead is so overrated. If you live by a major road or interstate, or travel a lot like my brother in law you really appreciate it.

I just recently installed a CB for my brother in law yesterday and he enjoys it. He travels across the state of PA at least two times a week and in the middle of the night when everything else is dead, including Amateur Radio repeaters he is at least able to speak to the truckers and others out there with a CB. He drives across the state in a Chevy Cavalier so he isn't a truck driver.

I myself up till about 1 year ago traveled interstate and state highways everyday. When I didn't have my assigned tractor trailer for the day because of maintenance issues I really missed when I had to take another company truck that didn't have a CB radio. There is more action on CB than what you think.

If you happen to hit a very nice day when the atmospheric conditions are just right you can talk hundreds, if not thousand miles or more away. Living up here in Pennsylvania I regularly hear Florida, Mississippi, Arkansas, and other stations coming in over channel 19 and I in turn am able to talk to them. But most of the action occurs around channel 6 on the citizens band radio.

Nope, sorry folks I am both a Amateur Radio Operator and user of the CB and whether people tend to believe it or not CB is not dead!!!

countryboy879

i talk on the cb here in jerzey and everyone thinks they own the airwaves!!! i want to take my tech exam so ..can u give me that study site ...send me a pm

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
CB can be fun. Was in California a few years back and talked to someone in Mesa AZ as if they were right next to me. They thought I was pulling their leg when I told them where I was located! Turns out the guy had just installed a stock CB and wanted to know how far his signal was going. He didn't understand the concept of skip. :D

-AZ

countryboy879

duh!! yeah we have a group here in nj call cba**holes...where everyone thinks they own the airwaves!!!!

af5rn

Tommahawk said:
Geez the misconception of Cititzen Band Radio being dead is so overrated. If you live by a major road or interstate, or travel a lot like my brother in law you really appreciate it.
Nobody here said anything about it being dead. We just said that, unless you're a highway driver, there's nothing worthwhile there, which seems to be pretty much what you are saying too.

BillQuinn

CB northern DE

Here in Northern De, there is a group on ch 15 that have interesting conversations. They are concentrated around Southeastern PA and Northern DE. All base stations. Most are retired who have been in CB since the beginning. There are also about 4 women on the channel too. Talk about gardening, politics at times, and just personal stuff. Some fella's also have kids. Some of the guys on there are hams themselves! A great bunch of people! It's like a net. CB isnt just a redneck trash-talkin' radio service for truckers.

Status
Not open for further replies.