CB to 10 meter radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joseph2020

I read an article in CQ today where it says an old CB radio (that uses a certain type of PLL) can be modified to work as a 10 meter xceiver.

As far as I can tell, it is totally legal, as long as you stay within FCC 97 regulations. Older, and used CBs and antennas are cheap and easy to find. I have seen some info on the web, and I am wondering if it is realistic.

I am asking if anyone on this forum has any ideas/thoughts from personal experience(s)? Thanks in advance.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Why would you want to use a CB on 10 Meters??? CBs are basically cheap junk radios and wouldn't be worth a darn on 10 meters. Most CBers convert 10 meter radios to 11 meter AKA CB.

joseph2020

Thanks you for your reply.

Any more ideas/thoughts are welcome. Has anyone out there done this mod before? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I'm with eaf1956. I think you would be disappointed in performance, especially when you could buy a used 10m rig for not much more.

Using a CB antenna to get on the air for 10m is workable, but it will need a little tuning.

LtDoc

The Cobra 148 was one of the CB radios that was easily converted, several articles about them in the magazines. I won't comment about their 'quality', but if you're handy with electrical things and have one sitting around, why not? It's not a matter of a CB radio being 'junk', it's about using what's available and modifying it your self.
The only 'junk' in this is the CB versus ham crap.
- 'Doc

Last edited:

buckeyerl

I thought that type of modification made the FCC type acceptance null and void. Maybe I am wrong. Cheap circuitry and filtering make this a very bad idea anyway, so what's the point.

K9WG

I made a 10 meter antenna out of a mobule magnet mount CB antenna. Ended cutting about 6" off the rod and the SWR was acceptable across the 10 band.

reedeb

I don't know about the readio themselves BUT the Wilson series antennas [1000,5000] ARE 10 meter capable.

n5ims

I thought that type of modification made the FCC type acceptance null and void. Maybe I am wrong. Cheap circuitry and filtering make this a very bad idea anyway, so what's the point.

That is correct that a modified CB radio will no longer be type accepted and could no longer be used on the CB band. Ham band radios do not need to be type acctpted so the modified CB radio would be legal to use by a licensed ham on the 10 meter ham band.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I read an article in CQ today where it says an old CB radio (that uses a certain type of PLL) can be modified to work as a 10 meter xceiver.

Yes. It's been done. There was a series of articles in 73 Magazine back in the '80's. The articles covered various makes and models.

As far as I can tell, it is totally legal, as long as you stay within FCC 97 regulations.

It's legal to modify out of band gear and put it onto the ham band. It's not legal to do it the other way around.

joseph2020

Thanks to all for your replies.

Chris-KH2PM, I will keep an eye out, but according to the article you sent those HR2510 are hard to find.

LtDoc
It's not a matter of a CB radio being 'junk', it's about using what's available and modifying it your self. The only 'junk' in this is the CB versus ham crap.
I am in complete agreement with you, I try to keep an open mind on all things, including vintage and/or modified radio equipment.

krokus
especially when you could buy a used 10m rig for not much more.
I have seen working used CB radios in thrift stores for under $25. I would appreciate it if you would tell me where I can get a working used 10M radio for "not much more" than $25?

Any other thoughts or ideas are always welcome, especially from those who have done or know someone who has done this mod. Thanks again

krokus

Premium Subscriber
krokus I have seen working used CB radios in thrift stores for under $25. I would appreciate it if you would tell me where I can get a working used 10M radio for "not much more" than $25?

eHam.net Classifieds Radio Shack HTX-100

Keep in mind, when you get done with the mods, or paying someone to do them, you will exceed the asking price of this radio. (More likely than not.)

k8krh

Back in the 80;s if I remember, the gang in Michigan, now the wireman, converted cb radios to 10 fm, they did over a thousand, and I believe if you look into a few trade magazines a chap in ARIZONA has info on conversions also.
I had one memory time I forgot what model but it worked good on 10 fm for over 10 years then the radio went south, ...
DOCTOR/795

SigIntel8600

Communications Receiver Nut
Premium Subscriber
I have seen CBs converted to 10 meter beacon stations.

Like this

KD4MZM BEACON SYSTEM

Don't let the uninformed experts get you down

As far as I can tell, it is totally legal, as long as you stay within FCC 97 regulations. Older, and used CBs and antennas are cheap and easy to find. I have seen some info on the web, and I am wondering if it is realistic.

I am asking if anyone on this forum has any ideas/thoughts from personal experience(s)? Thanks in advance.

joseph2020

question answered

bearcat012, thanks for your reply and encouragement. I enjoyed looking through the website you sent me
Don't let the uninformed experts get you down
That is excellent advice; I learned long ago not to let the so called "experts" discourage me from trying out new things or different ways to approach a problem. I had an offer from someone here on RR for a 10 meter radio and antenna for a very good price, and am planning on doing that instead. Thanks again.

70cutlass442

Premium Subscriber
If you got the parts/ time go for it. Yes it wont be as "good" as a genuine 10 meter radio... but who cares... arn't most Ham operators doing this as a hobby? So don't some of the haters get you down. Sometimes its just fun to try it out when you're bored on a saturday night and nothing else is going on!

Status
Not open for further replies.